Sign in to follow this  
LauraKrycek

Don't Dream It's Over

This song has just always made me think of "Millennium"... I prefer the acoustic version.

Don't Dream It's Over

Crowded House

There is freedom within, there is freedom without

Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup

There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost

But you'll never see the end of the road

While you're travelling with me

Hey now, hey now

Don't dream it's over

Hey now, hey now

When the world comes in

They come, they come

To build a wall between us

We know they won't win

Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof

My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof

In the paper today tales of war and of waste

But you turn right over to the T.V. page

Hey now, hey now

Don't dream it's over

Hey now, hey now

When the world comes in

They come, they come

We know they won't win

Now I'm walking again to the beat of a drum

And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart

Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof

Get to know the feeling of liberation and release

Hey now, hey now

Don't dream it's over

Hey now, hey now

When the world comes in

They come, they come

Don't ever let them win...

Wow!  First of all, I really like this song, but I never really paid close attention to the words.  Quite millenniumistic!  I never really picked up on it.  Another thing that I want to say about this is that I could totally see this song being in an episode of MLM - like at the conclusion of an episode, ending with the end of the song fading out to the preliminary end credit of "Executive Producer..." instead of a MLM track.

Next, I have to share with you the things that went through my head, or images I saw, as I read the lyrics.

There is freedom within, there is freedom without

Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup

There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost

But you'll never see the end of the road

While you're travelling with me

Okay, a couple of things with this stanza.  First, the first line holds a bit of irony for me, in terms of Frank's life.  He had neither.  He only had truth within and without.  If he looked within all he had were his relentless visions.  When he searched without, he all he experienced was pain, deception, betrayal, danger, and evil.

Next, the 2nd line made me immediately think of the sort of pervasive feel throughout the entire run of MLM, emphasized my lines Frank uttered and his facial expressions.  It was a feeling that an apocalyptic sh*t storm/flood was comming, and all the delusional or simplistic, niave hopes, plans, morality, or confidence in our so called "way of life" were like trying "to catch the deluge in a paper cup..."  This line also made me think of the quote in the beginning of Force Majeure by Plato, it said something like, "You remember one deluge only, but there were many others..."  Refering the great floods, etc.

The third line for me, obviously, had Armagedon, the great battle of good vs evil, written all over it.  But it also made me think of the struggle for power within the Group.  And also, the battles and struggles ahead for Frank throughout the series, and those to come that we never saw.

The last 2 lines of the stanza make me think of the seemingly endless road for Frank of loss, danger, struggle, suffering, as evil and ignorance repeatedly tried to wear him down, both human and beyond.  It also struck as a line that Frank might say to his partners or friends.  Really, Frank's path as a truth-sayer and seer is really lonely, except for true love... and even she was taken from him...

I had impressions like this on every stanza, but I don't have time right now to go into them.  I will post more at a later time.  Perhaps later tonight.

Great post, Laura!  Nice catch!

Rockets of Upbeatness,

:ouro: Scott

Okay, let's see if I can tackle another stanza...

Hey now, hey now

Don't dream it's over

Hey now, hey now

When the world comes in

They come, they come

We know they won't win

The 2nd line in the stanza for me is sort of like Frank's ongoing situation and message... sort of like "Don't kid yourself... the worse is yet to come."  In Frank's own words, "Were headed for something...  we'd do best to avoid."

But this stanza mostly made me think of Frank and Catherine's relationship... "Don't dream it's over..."   And then follow by "They come, they come/to build a wall between us..."  This made me think of Frank's involvment with the Group, the subtle medlings of Legion and evil in general with Frank and his family, and the pressures/stresses of Frank and Jordans gifts.

All of these things seemed to crowd in and threaten the unity of Frank and Catherine's relationship, and of their family as a whole.  But they we hear "...We know that they won't win..."  And they didn't really, because Frank and Catherine always seemed to know that they would somehow find their way back to being a family... they new their love was stronger than the Group, than evil, than the unique stresses upon their family.

And in the end, even though Catherine died in a possible Group managed outbreak, nothing came between them, because they were reunited in the end and their love had won out.  Nothing could take that from them... not even death itself.

Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof

But you turn right over to the T.V. page

Okay, this part made me think of the Curse of Frank Black, when he is comming back from dropping off Jordan after trick or treating, and his Jeep Cherokee breaks down ("Now I'm towing my car...").  Just before he breaks down, his CD player won't work right (nor the radio I believe), and after he breaks down, his cell phone won't work either ... My there's a hole in the roof/My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's no proof...  This last line also made me think of all the his "possesions" and clues that were pointing to Acts 26:8 (My possessions are causing me suspicion but there's not proof...).

And the last 2 lines of this stanza point to the chaos and destruction of our world and lives, as we in our delusion and myopia are easily distracted from the signs that are right infront of our faces... Like the Old Man's neighbor in Beware the Dog.  I also see this as a sort of over arching theme in MLM.  How we just down see the truth of the comming destruction because we are so rapped up in our own little lives, and don't want to look past that.

Now I'm walking again to the beat of a drum

And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart

Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof

Get to know the feeling of liberation and release

Okay, this last stanza totally made me think of Frank and Catherine again.  This time after Catherine had died.  Specifically during the Sound of Snow.  "Now I' walking again to the beat of a drum..."  This struck me as Frank being compelled by the subtle-sound-tape he was sent.  "And I'm counting the steps to the door of your heart..." This made me think of how his "non-white-noice-sound-journey"  took him to the cabin again where he had last seen Catherine.

"Only shadows ahead barely clearing the roof..." makes me think about the fact that Catherine at that point was sort of a shadowy combination of spirit, imagination, and desire on the edge of Franks consciousness, which the tape tapped into.

"Get to know the feeling of liberation and release," make me think of Frank's experience as he lay there with Catherines spirit/idea stroking his head and holding him.  I just saw that whole seen as a liberation or release for Frank into their love.  He sort of drives the point home by saying toward the end of that episode... something along the lines of "Whatever the Group's intentions... they gave me Catherine back."

Yeah, I would say I was a bit inspired by all this.  Thanks again, Laura.  

What anyone else think any of this, or the song in general?

New World Upbeatness,

:ouro: Scott

Excellent analyses, Scott!   :D   Don't know if anyone else will even try to touch it after that...

Oh, I hope they will!  MillenniuM fans are famous or infamous for their variety of takes on MLM and a host of other things.  I hope someone else will step in here and comment!

What are your thoughts or impressions?  what specifically about the song prompted you to post it?

Over the Top,

Scott

Well, like so many things from the 80's, regardless of whether I was there or not, I didn't hear about it until not long ago.  I first heard this after seeing the episode of "The Others" by the same title, and the online fans mentioning the song, so I downloaded it.

As soon as I heard the lyrics, I was struck by them.  Points within it reminded me of different plots in 1013.  For instance,

"Now I'm towing my car, there's a hole in the roof

But you turn right over to the T.V. page"

immediately reminded me of Mulder and the quest for the Truth -- he's paranoid about everything, but Scully shrugs off all of the evidence to stay safe in her world of what she believes.  But it can also be likened to the futility that the characters in both shows feel about everything; the time is near, but rather than constantly worry about it, they have to let themselves step back from it and pretend everything is normal for just a little while.

In general, I think the song reminded me of the show because it's from the viewpoint of a person who's trying to find their way in this chaos, to defeat the demons that are trying to take them.  But all the time, they have this other person by their side who will follow them to the end, despite what they truly think about the battle in the first place.

That's the gist of it... I'm in a rush at the moment or I'd tell more.  Maybe later!

immediately reminded me of Mulder and the quest for the Truth -- he's paranoid about everything, but Scully shrugs off all of the evidence to stay safe in her world of what she believes.  But it can also be likened to the futility that the characters in both shows feel about everything; the time is near, but rather than constantly worry about it, they have to let themselves step back from it and pretend everything is normal for just a little while.

Excellent points, Laura.  Especially about Mulder and Scully.  Spot on with that one!  And you are right, the characters in both shows did sort of go on with life sometimes, like there wasn't a greater truth looming over them/trying to evade them.  But it seemed like it was harder to see Frank's character doing this because he is such a truth seer/sayer.  And even the times he spends with Jordan, you know that he still has it all on his mind, and it is in fact accentuated by his fear of the evil or chaos reaching his family.

In general, I think the song reminded me of the show because it's from the viewpoint of a person who's trying to find their way in this chaos, to defeat the demons that are trying to take them.  But all the time, they have this other person by their side who will follow them to the end, despite what they truly think about the battle in the first place.

Well put!  I know the feeling.  And finally, without any looking for anything but the truth, I have that person to walk side by side through it.  It is really an amazing and extraordinary story of how we came to be together.  It is true joy, pure freedom.  I have faced a lot of my own demons, and have more to face.  And since I truly move toward and take actions to see the truth (i.e. freedom from delusion, ignorance, civilization, catagorization, ideas, and so called personality, etc), I has been a lonely path, even among my own family, or especially among them - that is until now.  Now she and I are walking together.  No words can describe my absolute love for her, nor my adoring, endless gratitude for having this love in my life!

I'm in a rush at the moment or I'd tell more.  Maybe later!

I truly hope you do return here for more discussion of this.  By the way, I was around in the 80s.  I had the yes, cassette tape, when it was originally released.  The entire albumn was great.  Those were my college days.  The times when I would stop to listen to that tape were probably the only calm times I had then!

Hope you are enjoying yours and having a good time tonight!

Goopishness,

Scott

Hey all, cool thread.

I just felt compelled by some sense of national duty to mention Crowded House are a New Zealand band and that Neil Fimm, the leader singer/ songwriter, comes from a small town called Te Awamutu about 20 minutes drive from my home towm. Their songs "Private Universe" and "Fall at your feet" are also really good and relevant.

Cheers,

Faustus...

Thanks, Faustus!  By the way, the love of my life that I mentioned is currently visiting friends in New Zeland.  She loves it!

And I thought I would post the lyrics to the songs you mentioned here.  Perhaps for more discussion:

Private Universe

by Crowded House

No time, no place to talk about the weather

the promise of love is hard to ignore

who said the chance wasn't getting any better

the labor of love is ours to endure

the highest branch on the apple tree

it was my favorite place to be

I could hear them breaking free

but they could not see me

I will run for shelter

endless summer lift the curse

it feels like nothing matters

in our private universe

I have all I want, is that simple enough?

a whole lot more I'm thinking of

every night about six o'clock

birds come back to the pond to talk

they talk to me -- birds to talk to me

if I go down on my knees

it feels like nothing matters

in our private universe

And it's a pleasure that I have known

and it's a treasure that I have gained

and it's a pleasure that I have known

It's a tight squeeze, but I won't let go

time is on the table and the dinner's cold

Fall at Your Feet

by Crowded House

I'm really close tonight

And I feel like I'm moving inside her

Lying in the dark

I think that I'm beginning to know her

Let it go

I'll be there when you call

Whenever I fall at your feet

And you let your tears rain down on me

Whenever I touch your slow turning pain

You're hiding from me now

There's something in the way that you're talking

The words don't sound right

But I hear them all moving inside you

Go, I'll be waiting when you call

Whenever I fall at your feet

Whenever I touch your slow turning pain

The finger of blame has turned upon itself

And I'm more than willing to offer myself

Do you want my presence or need my help

Who knows where that might lead

I fall at your feet

Whenever I fall

Let's see what we can see.  Talk to you later.

Scott

"Don't Dream It's Over" would fit nicely with Millenium. It's a great song. Like 99% of all music in the 80's. Unlike the bad 99.9% of the music from the 90's to present. I did not see thie detail mentioned, but the song was used in "apocalyptic" miniseries/movie, Stephen King's The Stand. I though it fit extremely well in that.