Song That Kylie Minogue Did That Inspired Carter?

Rate this topic

Guest Inversity

Guest Inversity

Can someone find out what song that Kylie Minogue did that inspired Chris Carter and which he allegedly played for Mark Snow?

I love the MillenniuM music, and I'm interested in buying that song.

Thank you for your time & consideration.

• Elders (Moderators)

Welcome, Inversity!

I don't know what song it is, but I'm hoping someone else on the board might have an idea.

I haven't knowingly heard any of Kylie Minogue's songs (I listen to the wrong kind of radio station for that) but I was intrigued by this connection - mostly because I'm often surprised when people can find inspiration where I wouldn't even think to look! :oneeyedwinK

I, too, love Millennium (and XF) music. The themes that Mark Snow created are beautiful.

Guest fizzcharlson

Here is my first post to this board, though I did join many moons ago I am much more a reader than a writer, but I can help you out (a bit) with this teaser.

The music in question is not Kylie Minogue but Ceilidh (pronounced Kaylee) Minogue an American band (I believe) who have created a pun on the name of the Aussie singer. For those interested: Ceilidh is simply a barn dance with traditional folk music that originated in Scotland. In the interviews with regards to the origin of the Millennium theme Mark Snow has been misquoted as the interviewers have wrongly assumed he was referring to said pop strumpet or have simply never heard of the band or couldn't spell it. I happened across some of their music and it is quite woeful compared to the genuine Scottish article but there is an underlying sense of the Millennium sound if you give it a few listens.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes.

Mark.

Guest blondton13
Here is my first post to this board, though I did join many moons ago I am much more a reader than a writer, but I can help you out (a bit) with this teaser.

The music in question is not Kylie Minogue but Ceilidh (pronounced Kaylee) Minogue an American band (I believe) who have created a pun on the name of the Aussie singer. For those interested: Ceilidh is simply a barn dance with traditional folk music that originated in Scotland.  In the interviews with regards to the origin of the Millennium theme Mark Snow has been misquoted as the interviewers have wrongly assumed he was referring to said pop strumpet or have simply never heard of the band or couldn't spell it. I happened across some of their music and it is quite woeful compared to the genuine Scottish article but there is an underlying sense of the Millennium sound if you give it a few listens.

Hope this helps a bit.

Best wishes.

Mark.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey- that's cool! Thanks a lot for the info! I found Ceilidah Minogue's website if anyone is interested:

https://www.ceilidhminogue.com/

They have samples of their music in windows media and MP3 if you want to take a listen. I thought "The Cauldron" was cool. Check it out! :wink:

Guest aldom
Hey- that's cool! Thanks a lot for the info! I found Ceilidah Minogue's website if anyone is interested:

https://www.ceilidhminogue.com/

They have samples of their music in windows media and MP3 if you want to take a listen. I thought "The Cauldron" was cool. Check it out! :wink:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just to clear one thing up - Ceilidh Minogue is a Scottish ceilidh band NOT American! Seen them live and they are great players. Visted their music page at www.ceilidhminogue.co.uk/ourmusic.htm and there are some great samples - Pity they don't look like Kylie!!!

Aldo

• 1 month later...
Guest A Stranger
Can someone find out what song that Kylie Minogue did that inspired Chris Carter and which he allegedly played for Mark Snow?

I love the MillenniuM music, and I'm interested in buying that song.

Thank you for your time & consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he might have actually been refering to a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song featuring Kylie Minougue called "Where the Wild Roses Grow." I have always thought the intro to that song was very familar to MM. It's on the album Murder Ballads. Carter has made it known he is a Cave fan. The violinist is named Warren Ellis and has a solo band called the Dirty Three that I would recomend to anyone who is a fand of Snow's.

• 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the song "Confide In Me" by Kylie Minogue. The song has a violin sound which is quite similar to the Millennium theme. It was a pretty popular song so I think Chris Carter could hear it somewhere.

• 10 months later...
Guest Helgi Haskin
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the song "Confide In Me" by Kylie Minogue. The song has a violin sound which is quite similar to the Millennium theme. It was a pretty popular song so I think Chris Carter could hear it somewhere.

Fully agreed with ye

There was an interview online with the Mister Snow some time ago that stated that Chris Carter mailed him a tape of the haunting sounds of Ceilidh Minogue and asked him to produce something evocative in response to their sound. Whilst Confide In Me may have vague tonal similarities to the Millennium theme tune it is an accepted fact that Mark Snow did not base his score on an Australian artist who's presence in America was, and is, minimal. It somewhat bemuses me to think that people believe that Mark Snow took a Kylie Minogue track and sculpted the Millennium theme tune from it, Michelangelo did not view a turd and feel inspired to mold 'David' as a result. Sad fact though it may be for those who enjoy Kylie's music but she has never achieved the resonance in America to affect popular culture. Confide in Me was not popular in America, reaching the late thirties in the billboard chart, and such assertions that Mark Snow was inspired by this track should be layed to rest.

Edited by ethsnafu