Sign in to follow this  
LauraKrycek

Millenniumistic Quote

"For all our intelligence, we human beings are weak and destructive, and we drift with the tide, losing sight of our humanity.  Then we begin all over again.  Yet we persist in setting our hopes on the human capacity to learn, so we cannot stop telling stories... that will not let us forget."

Melissa Muller, "Anne Frank:  The Biography"; Metropolitan Books, 1998.  p. xii.

Excellent.

Now, was that a quote from Anne Frank or Melissa Muller?

From Melissa Muller.  Whee, if I was to get into Anne Frank quotes, I'm afraid the post would be extraordinarily long.  I'm doing research on her life and times for my theatre's production of the play at the end of spring term, and wow!  I'd never read anything by her before doing this, but she was absolutely amazing.

Whee, if I was to get into Anne Frank quotes, I'm afraid the post would be extraordinarily long.  I'm doing research on her life and times for my theatre's production of the play at the end of spring term, and wow!  I'd never read anything by her before doing this, but she was absolutely amazing.

Come now, please don't tell us something like that, and not offer at least a little more!

LOL, well, I suppose I could try to pull some out.  This is from Saturday, July 15, 1944, less than a month before those hiding in the Annex were betrayed.  Reading this broke my heart.  I can see it from a Frank POV, though.

"It’s difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams, and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.  It’s a wonder I haven’t abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.  Yet I cling to them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.

It’s utterly impossible for me to build my life on a foundation of chaos, suffering, and death.  I see the world being slowly transformed into a wilderness, I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions.  And yet, when I look up at the sky, I somehow feel that everything will change for the better, that this cruelty too will end, that peace and tranquility will return once more.  In the meantime, I must hold on to my ideals.  Perhaps the day will come when I’ll be able to realize them!"

Thanks, Laura.  Perhaps you could make a habit of posting quotes of hers each week or every so often.

Wow.  It is a wonder she didn't abandon her ideas, dreams, hopes.  

I have to also tell you that, when I read that, I read it in Frank's gruff deep voice in my mind.  I couldn't help but see images of that being an opening or ending monologue for an episode of MLM.

Now, in my next thoughts I am not refering to Anne Frank's courageous actions, etc.  Nor am I suggesting she should have acted in any other manner than she did.

However, I am not sure that holding on to one's ieals, dreams, and hopes, in the face of the truth and reality, is such a noble or enlightened thing to do.  In some way I see it as the easy way out, clinging to something to keep from truly experience life as it truly is here and now... not some idea of what life should or could be... but as it is.

As I aluded to in a another thread, I have experienced and observed that ideas, opinions, ideals, dreams, hopes, concepts of this or that value, morality, etc... these are just things that we have made up some where along the way, and that now these things rule and cause us suffering instead of guiding or assisting us in life.  To me, they are part of the problem that has plagued humanity since we began to realize our sentience or consciousness.  I mean, there really wasn't a manual or anything, but I definitely think we took a gradual but huge wrong turn in the use of our consciousness/sentience.

Eventually, when I have time, I am going to expand on my observations and experiences with such things in written form.  But this awareness expands in my life daily and regularly.

Ciao for now,

Scott