The Fourth Horseman / The Time Is Now

Rate this topic

Guest arcanamundi

Guest Black's Babe

Unlike Owls/Roosters, this two part season finale really delivered.

Lara Means descent into madness was heartbreaking to watch, but well played by Kristen Cloke.

Many strong acting performances were showcased here, particularly Terry O'Quinn.

I sooooooooooooooo was routing for Peter to save Lara from TMG, get his family and meet up with Frank at the cabin.

really sad to see the departures of both Cloke and Megan Gallegher, which makes me leery of the 3rd season.

Frank's world has just came crashing down around him, what now?

I didn't like ALL aspects of the 2nd season, but applaud Morgan/Wong for thinking outside of the box.

• 5 months later...
Guest quentin compson

Well, this was definitely a very good two-parter to end the second season.

Unlike the first deeper journey inside the Millennium Group in "Owls/Roosters", which I didn't like and also didn't find very convincing, this time around, Morgan/Wong really delivered.

The topic of a modern version of the plague was fascinating and well conducted. The sequence in which Lara loses it to the sound of Patti Smith's "Horses" might have been a little long, but it was great and downright avantgardistic. Also, to "dispose of" two characters as important as Lara and Catherine was bold, yet consequent.

All in all, a gripping finale to a sometimes uneven, but overall satisfying season.

Guest frankblack13

I'm watching the fourth horseman right now on Chiller. I'm trying so hard not to freak out while watching this episode, because this two parter scared the crap out me. :cry:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest AD Skinner

I'm watching the fourth horseman right now on Chiller. I'm trying so hard not to freak out while watching this episode, because this two parter scared the crap out me. cry.gif

Dito, I remember I missed these two episodes the first time they were shown on television and it wasn't until the DVD release that I managed to finally see them and you know what, despite knowing what happened, I don' t think I've ever seen two episodes of television as daring and as haunting as these were, the last ten minutes of The Time is Now were truly unforgettable and I don't think I have ever seen a piece of filmed media, cinema or television, truly convey the feeling that the world had ended as this did. You truly do believe that the world has truly gone to hell at the end of Millennium's second season.

• 1 month later...
Guest frankblack13

did anyone other than me notice the South Park reference of Jordan's bird named Kenny dying at the end of the Fourth Horseman?

• 2 months later...

I watched them for the first time about two weeks ago and wow the ambition! I love these two episodes and the season as a whole, it gave the show some legs, took it in new directions and I can't remember many shows that have an end of season finale thats this experimental and gut wrenching. Usually you might get something experimental or a gut punch but rarely both. Lara Means goes insane, is probably my favourite 10 minutes of the show.

• 5 months later...

I think the lack of music is one of the reasons these episodes are so haunting. There´s rarely any music playing (especially in "The Fourth Horseman")... the best moment is at the end of the first episode when an earthquake hits Seattle and Frank realizes Millennium was right. All we hear are car alarms, dogs barking and sirens coming closer... very powerful moment imho.

The only aspect I´m dissapointed with is Catherine´s death. It felt rushed and didn´t have an emotional ressonance I was expecting it to have. I also miss the haunting shot of Catherine walking away into the woods alone which we got a glimpse of in the first episode. I think it was a tragic ending for a great character if only Catherine was around more in the second season maybe her death would be more emotional for me.

Lara Means´ breakdown was quite painful to watch. The scene near the end when Frank visits her in the hospital and she´s just lying there in catatonic state was almost heartbreaking.

Also the "Happy Family" segment in TFH is propably one of the scariest moments (and it´s in a way disturbingly funny too) of the entire 1013 production.

Edited by Luki

The only aspect I´m dissapointed with is Catherine´s death. It felt rushed and didn´t have an emotional ressonance I was expecting it to have. I also miss the haunting shot of Catherine walking away into the woods alone which we got a glimpse of in the first episode. I think it was a tragic ending for a great character if only Catherine was around more in the second season maybe her death would be more emotional for me.

I've heard differing accounts of what happened with Catherine but certain members of the crew have implied that it was intended to have been left open with an option to continue with the character in the third season if a third season was commissioned which, at that point, no one thought would be the case.

The official line seems to be that Catherine was dead. Chris Carter advised Glen and James to kill the character at the end of the season. Megan was certainly told her character was being killed so it all seems fairly final but I do know that Kay Reindl stated that the decision taken to not actually show her die was done to allow others the opportunity to bring her back if they wanted to do.

I change my mind about whether it was a good idea to kill her off or not but I have to say it is one of the most haunting scenes in the show when she finally realises she has contracted Marburg. It gets me every single time.

Eth

• 2 years later...
Guest I Made This
I change my mind about whether it was a good idea to kill her off or not but I have to say it is one of the most haunting scenes in the show when she finally realises she has contracted Marburg. It gets me every single time.

The first time I watched the episode, I found something very haunting and sad about the way we seen her look at Frank and Jordan one last time and then walk off into the woods alone. I found it desperately sad, so I have to totally agree with you there.

Overall I love this two parter, not only one of the great Millennium episodes, but truly one of the greatest pieces of television ever produced. I mean, seriously, how good are these episodes.

I've reviewed both episodes for my blog if anybody wants to check it out.

https://imadethischriscarter.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/millennium-5c225c23-fourth-horsemanthe.html

• 8 months later...

I did get the Kenny reference, LOL! Poor bird, didn't stand a chance!

This was my favorite episode of all time, with Jose Chung running a close secone. Or I should say two episodes. Loved the Lara Means gong insane bit. It was scary as all get out, and sad too. Didn't see THAT coming! Didn't see the Catherine thing coming either. Well I did, when it was about to happen.. but not til.