Wide Open

Rate this topic

Guest The time is Near

i didnt like wide open that much, bit naff in some areas. alot better episodes in the series.

<font color='#000000'>Was watching the end of this episode tonight, while dubbing it for one of the fan fic Deal-ites.

Okay, here is a prime example of something that I think was great and daring about MLM.  Toward the end of this episode, after they had put it all together that the perp had witnessed his parents torture and death at the hands of a one of their hired hands... We see Frank meet up with Catherine at the hospital room where the girl (who's parents had been torched and slain by the perp) had been staying.  After Frank and Catherine hug outside the door of the room, the camera pans back and we see the pictures the girl had drawn, indicating her horrific experience.  Then fades to black, etc.  And that is the end!  We are left with an unresolved feeling of the possibility that the tragedy might or will live again thru her.

This is the beauty of MLM!  It dares to say that "everything is NOT okay in the end,"  and everything does not work out, and perhaps there will never be a resolution or solution.  That is what the show over and over dares to suggest, dares to tell us the truth.  Dares to let us see through Franks honest eyes, not the linear, "things will work out" or "everthing happens for a reason" myopia that most people buy into or are programed with.

Upbeat? Vibes,

Scott</font>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

looking pretty downbeat(in gabelhouse's voice)..lol

• 3 years later...
Guest WhiteWolf

Well then. Looks like I'm reviving an old topic. But I just watched this ep and I really enjoyed it... again.

I'd like to say first that the actor who plays the killer is perfect for the role. Tall and lanky, plainspoken, but with a startling gaze that makes you very uneasy. You get the creeps from the very first time you see him, and when he acts so cool and natural while speaking to the real estate people, it is even creepier how he can change his countenance as easily as snapping his fingers. But he manages to have that same look in his eyes throughout the ep, which is great.

The early scene where Frank finds the little girl locked behind the wooden vent reminded me heavily of a scene in the Bruce Willis movie MERCURY RISING. Not sure if they ripped of MM or not, though, but it's possible. The scene play out in a very similar way.

As for the ending. I have to note that Giebelhouse does a little prophesizing here. Early on he mentions something about a $5,000 dollar security system, and that they 'should have saved the money and bought a Rottweiler.' And sure enough, it's the dog (though a great looking German Shepherd, and not a Rotty) that save the day. And as a dog lover, I'll admit to actually jumping three inches off of my seat and clapping in satisfaction when the dog leaps out of the shadows to save Frank.

I also loved the exchange between Frank and Bob right after, as the killer lays bleeding on the floor: "I think one of us should call the paramedics," Bob says. "Do you remember the number," asks Frank. And then, after pausing a good long beat, Bob casually says, "Not off hand." :clapping:

As for the very ending, and I'm talking about the part discussed in the first posts of this thread, I have to say that I agree with the notion of an uneasy feeling regarding the mental future of the little girl. It is set up, sort of, in an equally subtle way, between the short conversation Frank and Bob have at the hospital, where Frank asserts that "killers aren't born" just before the little girl appears with Jordan at her side, Jordan with a smile on her face and the little girl very clearly without one.

Yes, it's a creepy and underhanded thing for the MM production team to pull, but isn't that what we all love about the show anyway?

Last thought: I'm as big a fan of Terry O'Quinn in this series as anyone, but don't you just relish the episodes that feature Bill Smitrovich so prominently? The chemistry between him and Lance is just awesome, and in a Peter Watts-less episode, I have to say that it makes for much better dramatic potential between Bob and Frank than Peter and Frank. Bletcher's fate, while shocking, was a terrible blow to me as a fan. Obviously I continue to love the show, but these early episodes I think (with the exception of a few gleaming gems in S2) will always be the ones I enjoy the most.

Edited by WhiteWolf

Let's hear it for the classic 'Death By Falling Through Glass' scene! I think we should all get giant 'X' tattoos... Nah...

X's on the floor could have been where he was standing... But seriously, how do you forget something like that... you watch your parents getting killed before your eyes, helpless to stop the man causing the pain... Nightmares for years, years with shrinks- too bad the kid couldn't kill him herself for revenge....

Bletcher's death was hard. I loved him as a character, but I'm sorry, Peter Watts just has some dark aura of sexiness around him during his episodes.

Guest WhiteWolf

Well, I can't speak for any of that. But I will say that it is very interesting how a character as prominent as Peter Watts is completely missing from epidsodes such as this one.

I dont mind the Peter Watts-less episodes...tends to make his appearance more treasured...As for Lance and Bill Smitrovitch's chemistry. It was good on screen, but reportedly not so good off camera...

its even rumored that his role was written out during "Lamentations" due to off screen feuding with Lance...

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/cast/profiles/bill-smitrovich

read the "trivia" section in the frame to the left

4th Horseman

Guest WhiteWolf

Wow. I had absolutely no idea about any of that. That is really unfortunate.

They really did do a very good job of concealing it in their acting. I get a sense of nothing but warmth between Bletcher and Fank, even if Lance and Smitrovich couldn't stand each other.

And I see your point about Peter Watts' absence. It does make you sit up and take more notice when he does make his appearances.

Wow, didn't know that either... But damn, they didn't need to kill Bletcher off... maybe have him retire, or another city's PD wanted to hire him... But at least he comes back for a quick hello in PPTD sitting in the chair... I really wonder what the inaudible mumbling was. My stupid thought "It was your fault I got whacked... If you only agreed for Thai for dinner..."

Edited by Who Am I?

you are correct about that particular scene with Bletch. Unfortunately, it would be nice to know what he is saying, but it seems it will remain a mystery as no one has ever been able to find any reference to it..

here is a bit of trivia (although i am sure most of you know this already)

The FOX network considered casting William Hurt in the role of Frank Black but Chris Carter was adamant that the part should go to Lance Henriksen.

4th Horseman