Siren

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming
Jordan says that the Chinese woman will save Frank's life. How does she do this exactly? At the end Frank is trying to ask her a question but she only answers in another language. So how has she "saved Frank's life"? Is that the whole point that she gets Frank thinking and that "she" can't answer his question. But then the part that confuses me is that she tried to tempt Frank. I was watching it at 1:00am and I think I dosed off a little and missed something. Any thoughts?

Guest Wellington

Hi

Yes indeed, I think too that this episode is difficult to understand. As far as I know, the only interaction she had with Frank was life-threatening and I do not see how never meeting her would be of any harm to him. Could it be a bug in Jordan's discovering of her gift? Maybe she cannot understand clearly what she sees, she cannot analyse really accurately, without experience or knowledge, contrary to her father.

Anyway, I thought this episode would be more at ease with Mulder and Scully at the helm. Evil is not really pointed out, the girl only showed Frank how life would be had he never got his gift.

Regards

Guest Second Coming
yeah, it looked like it showed Frank's life if he gave in to the temptation. But then again, we see Jordan dead in Gehenna's arms in that alternate universe. Still I don't really see how that saved Frank's life.  Maybe it showed Frank that him being in the Millennium Group had helped him more than he knew. In the world without the Millennium Group Jordan was dead. But in the current world with the choices he had made she was still alive. Maybe that gave Franks hope and thus saved him.

• Elders (Moderators)

I also found this episode confusing. I did wonder whether a mistake had been made but it was written by M&W and directed by Allen Coulter (who had directed two Season 2 episodes by then).

This ep was filmed and aired immediately after Roosters. Could there be a connection there? If there is, it completely passed me by. Perhaps something had to be cut for time. Even so, the synopsis I have here, which I believed I got from the Official Site, is of no help.

Well, at least I know I'm not the only one perplexed by this episode.

......for me this is one of the weakest episodes of S2,it's sort of the starting point of M&W's implosion,or unraveling,of any sort of coherant direction, granted,this is just my opinion but i feel that after owls/roosters the morgan & wong well started it's so far irreversible dry-spell and slide into mediocrity. i found this episode to be ridiculous in almost every way,with the direction and acting being the only saving grace of it. as i said,for me this was the beginning of the end of quality M&W for me,espeically after somtimes silly but riveting owls/roosters  ahhh,well :down:                  ~se7en :ouro:

Guest Mr. Ected Hostility
I would agree with Se7enand1 on this being the weakest season two episode. It felt like a re-hashing of what had happened all through that year. They were still doing the "is the group good or bad" thing and it's obvious that even Morgan and Wong didn't know themselves. It felt like a poor re-tread of Frank's lesson from "The Curse of Frank Black". The line about saving Frank's life was just for dramatic affect, I'm sure.

Wow.  I didn't know that this was such an unpopular episode.  This episode is actually one of my favorites.  Perhaps it is because of my appreciation of Asian cultures.  Perhaps it is because one of the things I love about MLM is that it takes and mixes up different mythologies (real world), christian and ancient, with the shows own differring and sometimes inconsistant mythology (something else that has never really bothered me.  I actually kind of like that it all doesn't fit in to one neat package).  In this episode, Vivian Wu's character I see as a subtle fusion of the siren myth and Legion.  I really enjoyed this.  And this episode I thought was MLM at its subtle best.  Perhaps Jordan was deceived by the Asian Woman to believe that she would save her dad's life.  Or, perhaps Jordan, without really understanding how this would all work out, saw that the Siren's attempt to tempt Frank would backfire.

Wow.  This is the true beauty of MLM, so many divergent reactions to its episodes.  Love it!

Zài jiàn,

:ouro: Scott

Guest LauraKrycek
I too am surprised by people being so against this episode.  I think that the weakest episode of season 2 would have to be either "Sense and Antisense" or "Pest House", possibly "A Single Blade of Grass".  I can't say what I did or didn't like about this episode, just that I liked it.  As far as saving Frank's life, I don't know.  I thought perhaps it was something about the choices he was making.  While he was afraid that working with the Group was destroying his life, he saw that if he wasn't, Jordan would be dead.  And so, in a way, it saved his life not as in making him continue living, but as in saving what he had (he might have done something against the Group, perhaps, otherwise).  I don't know; I guess it's yet another one of those MM mysteries.

Fore some reason I liek Sense and Anti-Sense.  It has been a while since I watched Siren, but I did like the episode when I did watch it last.   Have to see if if I get around to watching Siren again after I watch the three epsiodes before it again.  have a better one.

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

I have to disagree again.  I thought Sense and Antisense was another great step for MLM into the realm of "wierd science."  I thought it was really well done.  This is another episode where not everything is explained in the end and leaves you wondering and guessing.  I quite like this aspect of MLM.  You have to use your intuitive sensibilities and together with your creative mind to kind of come up with something.

The Pest House was another one where they stepped into some shadowy and murky territory and left you there.  The use and abuse of human consciousness and dreams!  I couldn't think of a better place for evil or Legion to strike!  Hit us right where we don't realize that we live, and where we fear to tread!  Brilliant!  And I loved what Frank says about evil in that episode... Something like, "He didn't realize you can touch evil without evil touching you..." and something along the lines of evil perhaps being like the amount of matter/energy in the universe - you can't destroy it, it just changes form and turns up somewhere else.

And Single Blade of Grass!  Again, love it!  Another MLM episode the blends it different mythologies altogether!  This time the christain and various native american mythologies.  This episode also deals with extreme spirituality.  Something that I think is a perfect thing for MLM to take on.  I like the episode Luminary for the same reason... extreme forms of spirituality.  Willingness to go to extreme lengths to experience truth.

As far as your Others recordings... I will try to see if I can find someone with better copies.  But if I can't, could I come back and wheel and deal?

EI AANIIGOO AHOOTE,

Scott