Did The X-files Go On For Too Long?

Rate this topic

I have been thinking about THE X-FILES lately after I watched the episode, "Jump The Shark". I noticed the show started to unravel during season 7. By sometime in season 8, the mythology arc was destroying itself. Then season 9 shouldn't have happened since Mulder wasn't in it except for clips in one episode and teh series finale. the series finale was a big disappointment. I think the X-Files should have ended with seven seasons despite some gems during season 8 and 9.

The first big mistake the writers did was in S7:

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
They revealed Mulder's sister was killed by a child molester and that she wasn't abducted by aliens. Mulder's quest was started because he believed his sister was abducted by aliens and that she was still out there somewhere. That should have remained a mystery.

Then we have the Super soldier nonsense in season 8 and season 9.

After that, they stuck the dagger in further by

Killing off the Lone Gunmen because they felt they should die like heroes since they wouldn't be used again!

That brings me to the series finale and season 9 as a whole:

Mulder and Scully were the heart of the show. Season 9 lost that magic since mulder wasn't ther anymore. The series finale was an affair that was poorly written and slow. It resolved nothing. The series finale should have been a big mythology episode like the movie or something from the first six seasons. Instead CC came up with Mulder being on trial. If a trial episode for Seinfeld didn't work, why did CC think it would work as a send-off for XF?!

Be Seeing You,

David Blackwell

Guest Burnout

I really thought they should have stop after season 5, and stuck to the movies. Seasons 6 - 9 could have been without Scully and Mulder, put them in as "deep throat" to the new characters into the show. IMO :)

They really blew it after Two Fathers/One Son. Get the colonization started already. Then CC got all spiritual on us, with Mulder's sister, following a star to find Scully. Yikes. Can I have some aliens, please? And some fries, but hold the super soldiers.

Guest chrisnu

While the mythology episodes went to hell, Season 6 had many of my favorite stand-alone episodes. Season 7 was weak, but I enjoyed the Mulder/Scully character arcs for the season. It should've ended for good with "Requiem". While Season 8 had some good episodes, there weren't any that I'd really miss. Season 9 was a complete disaster.

While the mythology episodes went to hell, Season 6 had many of my favorite stand-alone episodes. Season 7 was weak, but I enjoyed the Mulder/Scully character arcs for the season. It should've ended for good with "Requiem". While Season 8 had some good episodes, there weren't any that I'd really miss. Season 9 was a complete disaster.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I pretty much share the same assessment. Three of a Kind, Field Trip, Triangle, the Dreamland eps, all good stuff. Arcadia is okay, but every time FX used to show some fan-picked marathon, that was always up there. Um, Memento Mori, anyone?

Seven could've been so much better. You had the three parter with the whole cosmic backdrop, then you turn into a pale version of a season one monster-of-the-week. Though I'll admit that X-COPS is great. Requiem WAS cool, but just stop there. I thought Robert Patrick did a very good job, but was just saddled with diminishing scripts. And of course, Annabeth Gish is always easy on the eyes.

Let's not talk about nine anymore. :doh:

Guest lonegungrrly1121

hhmmm... I do think the x files went on for too long. It was going horribly downhill by the end of S7.

I saw some potential in keeping Doggett and Scully investigating the X files. i think if they had given this a better chance the show would have been fresh and could have gone on for a long time.

They just confused things by *super soldiers* :ghostface: and william

Mulder should have stayed dead IMO. it was clear DD's heart wasn't in it anyway.

and where did the MSR rip off Doggett Reyes romance come from?? :rofl:

and yes i agree, Millennium should have been given a better chance and not been axed!!

I completely forgot (purposely, I think) about William The Amazing Wonder Child From Beyond the Stars. After the US branch of the syndicate was nuked, they should've upped the ante. You can't build up 6 years of mythology then essentially forget it while going on about other, tangentially-related crap. Bah.