Did The X-files Go On For Too Long?

Rate this topic

Guest lonegungrrly1121

yup I think the writers just ended up tying themselves in knots so they just decided to

NUKE'EM ALL!!

:blowup::blowup::blowup::blowup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest canadian girl

We could have done without the last few seasons. But I'll forgive them because in the end, it is a wonderful show...........one of my all-time favourites.

• 2 months later...
Guest Frank L.

I'm a huge fan of The X-Files, and I guess that's the reason that I love

every season. I have to admit that season 9 had a few bad episodes,

and that it wasn't as good as the others. But every season has episodes

of a lower quality and brilliant ones. The same thing goes for MillenniuM. (at least for me).

Sometimes I wonder what could have happened when there would

have been a 10th season. Maybe it could have been a succes. Anyways,

I'm REALLY looking forward to the next movie, if there'll ever be one.

-SPOILER-

And Mulders sister Samantha did get abducted by aliens. At least

that the way I understand it. She was abducted, and test were

performed on her. But then 'somebody' or 'something' decided that

she had suffered enough, and she died.

-END SPOILER-

I must admit, I liked the fact they did something unexpected with Samantha. I think everyone expected Mulder to one day burst onto a UFO with a big gun, shoot down some EBE's and rescue her in a blaze of glory. To be fair to the show, that's not what the X-Files was about. It was about a man against the odds, fighting on in a battle he probably can't win. The final moments of 'Closure', everything about it, was actually quite moving.

I do agree, though, that the show went on too long and losing Duchovny was it's death-knell. The sad thing is, Seasons 6 & 7 had some of my all-time favourites, great comedies like 'Triangle', the 'Dreamland' two-parter (who can't smile at Michael McKean), 'Je Souhaite', and the terrific 'X-Cops'.

Where they went wrong was killing off most of it's interesting supporting characters or giving them nothing to do for two seasons (Krycek, anyone?), and not knowing where to go with the mythology. Turning the last two seasons into Terminator-lite was a mistake, and it just wasn't the same without regular Mulder and turning Scully into a third wheel, despite what Carter & Spotnitz tried to say.

Let's just forget the last two seasons never happened and look forward to the sequel movie (if they ever get around to making it.) :praying: