Lamentations With Principalites And Powers

Rate this topic

Crowley was the brilliant, notorious Englishman who was one of the most influential occultists of the 20th century.  The Great Beast, 666, as he liked to style himself, was a Victorian bad boy who enjoyed blowing people's minds but who, by today's standards, is probably no worse than your typical rock star, some of whom were inspired by him.  The most famous is probably Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin.  David Bowie was into Crowley at one point.  Ozzy Osbourne, who facetiously styles himself The Prince of !@$#*%@ Darkness, wrote the song "Mr. Crowley".  Also, Crowley shows up on the cover of the Beatles' Sgt. Peppers album, as one of the people they liked.

As far as modern occultists go, I'd put him up there in the top three, along with Blavatsky and Gurdjieff.

1013 loves to use his name in their occult tales for the wicked connotations it holds; I believe there is an X-Files episode that is set at Crowley High School.

I've read more than a little of Crowley's writings, and contrary to the popular image, esp. among Christian fundies, he was not a Satanist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

arcanamundi - retracted from my previous post...agologies.. :doh:

gosh the more research one does, the more it seems he is/is not..so everyone is left to make up their own minds...

try out this link for some interesting info on Hotel California..

www.snopes.com/music/songs/hotel.htm

Guest arcanamundi
arcanamundi - retracted from my previous post...agologies.. :doh:

Dude, no problemo! No offense taken, I just wanted to set the record straight. I think Crowley could be called a lot of things, including a world class chess player, an accomplished mountain climber, a chauvinist pig, a mythomaniac and an asshole, but I just don't think he was a Satanist :devil:

he also appeared either on the cover or inside the album "Hotel California" by the Eagle..i believe he is standing overlooking a 2nd floor balcony if i remember right...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ooh, that's interesting! I didn't know that, but based on the lyrics of the song, its not at all surprising that he would turn up in such an infernal place.

Actually, I just checked that link you gave about 'Hotel California'. According to it, it is Satanist Anton LaVey who is rumored to be looking out one of windows in a picture from the album. Is that who you were thinking of -- LaVey? Because HE was a Satanist.

Dude, no problemo!  No offense taken, I just wanted to set the record straight.  I think Crowley could be called a lot of things, including a world class chess player, an accomplished mountain climber, a chauvinist pig, a mythomaniac and an asshole, but I just don't think he was a Satanist  :devil:

Ooh, that's interesting!  I didn't know that, but based on the lyrics of the song, its not at all surprising that he would turn up in such an infernal place.

Actually, I just checked that link you gave about 'Hotel California'.  According to it, it is Satanist Anton LaVey who is rumored to be looking out one of windows in a picture from the album.  Is that who you were thinking of -- LaVey?  Because HE was a Satanist.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, that was who it was..i deleted my reference to Crowley appearing on the album cover because of this site..i knew it was one or the other...and yes, i knew Crowley was on the Sgt. Pepper's album...is there anyone who can name all the faces?

Yes, Crowly is who I though of when Pepper made mention of his notorious name

Any references on the names called upon to send Pepper away?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hippyroo - here is a definition of Sammael...

Ruler of the Fifth Heaven, has been regarded as one of the greatest and one of the most dreaded Angels operating in Heaven. Samael represents the severity of God, but also the power to achieve Victory over Adversity and Adversaries through Virtue with great Power. Hence, this Angel should be a Patron to all those who do battle on the battlefield, in the courtroom, and in all occupations of Law, Politics, Government and the Military. Samael was regarded as the serpent who tempted Eve in the Garden of Eden, drawing to himself the position and distinction as Chief of Satans.

Someome quicly remind me who Crowly was so I'm not embarrased!?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I know who the REAL guy was, but what about the "Kingdom Come" referrance? I'm just drawing a blank as to what caracter "Crowly" was.

My 1st boyfriend in high-school was REALY into this guy.... which is where I first learned about him, otherwize, I probably would have been totaly clueless during the whole PPTD referrance. So, don't feel bad, Grahem. :grouphug:

Thanks fourhourse! It seems that some consider Sammeal the angle of death?

If Sammeal is an "evil" angel then why would he be fighting Lucy/Pepper etc? It seems more that he is the death angel, not the husband of Lilith?

Thanks fourhourse!  It seems that some consider Sammeal the angle of death?

If Sammeal is an "evil" angel then why would he be fighting Lucy/Pepper etc?  It seems more that he is the death angel, not the husband of Lilith?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree :bigsmile: ...obviously, with his comment "He would'nt have stopped with Atkins" surely implied, along with the knowledge that Pepper had visited his house, that either Frank or a member of his family was next.. :ghostface:

his comments to Frank seemed to me that he was "sent" to protect not destroy..so i guess one could assume that he was representing the "severity of God"...

good topic for discussion :clapping:

Wonder what I am gong to pick up on when I watch this episode again.... say later toinght?  ha

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hippyroo....funny thing is, no matter where i went for research on Sammael, i found the information to be almost exactly the same. It does throw you a bit, because if you watch his face when he is talking to Frank, he does not appear to harbor any anger or evil, it is almost an angelic look that he has..anyway, have fun and if you come across anything new, let us know...

Guest alpha
I dont know if all of you caught this one, maybe its just me being especially sensitive about these things, but you all remember the lawyer's first name in PPTD?

It was Alistair Pepper.

Now, in the episode "Kingdom Come" there was a character with the last name Crowley..

put the two together and you have Alistair Crowley - we all know who he was..although he spelled his first name Aleister, still the lawyer in PPTD clearly stated his name was the same, and even made reference that he goes by Al because  "The name... carries some... notoriety in certain circles".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That was something I always wondered about, I thought "Crowley" straight away when I saw PPTD but I could never find any confirmation of this reference.