"the Time Is Now"

Rate this topic

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
Good point MIB, my observations were from someone who has not seen MLM on air, except for one or two episodes, so I am working my way through the DVD’s for the first time. Obviously I know that there is a third season and I have now watched the first two shows in S3 and it is all hanging together nicely. I thought that it was interesting hearing Lance in the commentary for “The Innocents” that he was unsure where the show was going at that point and he used that uncertainty in the projection of the character as Frank Black was in that state of uncertainty as well.

The suspension of belief where the audience tacitly agrees to provisionally suspend their judgment in exchange for the promise of entertainment I think is at work with all shows of this genre like Xfiles as you quoted.

At the end of the day, to see a further season of Frank Black in action or a MLM movie (he says wishfully) all plot variances can be accommodated. :oneeyedwinK

I think you will enjoy season 3. I find myself liking it more and more every time I watch. I agree, I doln't care what kind of plot twists they have to make if it means we get to see a Millennium movie. :oneeyedwinK

Guest ein042

I think Fox was promoting the NHL, The Stanley Cup Finals were to be broadcast In June of 98. Prime time.

Second season episodes The Fourth Horseman and The Time Is Now were aired on May 8th and May 15th on consecutive Fridays. Fox was more interested in promoting the finals. Possibly prompting M & W’s actions for good or bad. Fox may have lost some fans for the show even though it was picked up for another season.

• 1 year later...
Guest paranoid eyes

I think several Millennium group members who like Frank and Peter had families were vaccinated against their will because the group knew that they will give the vaccine to their children rather then live. The rest of them were expected to take syringe, use it and continue to be valuable to the group. I don't really know what were they expecting from Laura. On one hand: they gave her a vaccine which suggested that they wanted her to live, on the other: they obviously suspected that she is having a break-down, it happened to other members, and they left her alone with a loaded gun! I actually thought at some point that she will shoot herself.

There should be some reference to her in the next season. I know Frank was depressed after losing Catherine but if he could pull himself together and get back to work, he would surely want to know what happened to his friend. Watching Antipas I can see that the conflict between him and Lucy Butler is personal and Bob's death still is a painful wound. Laura was simply forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Lara's forgotten as much as there are just too many things going on in Season Three for Frank to have time to go back and eulogize Lara. Lara's one of my favorite characters, but she wasn't Frank's wife and she didn't have the long history Frank had with Bletcher. Frank was there by her side after her breakdown in TTIN and thanked her for being the only one that really understood him. His persistence is probably the only reason Lara didn't end up dead.

A show has to walk a fine line between coming up with new ideas and bringing up old stories, situations, and characters. If a show gets too self-referential newer viewers have a lot of trouble getting into the show.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim McLean
I think several Millennium group members who like Frank and Peter had families were vaccinated against their will because the group knew that they will give the vaccine to their children rather then live. The rest of them were expected to take syringe, use it and continue to be valuable to the group. I don't really know what were they expecting from Laura. On one hand: they gave her a vaccine which suggested that they wanted her to live, on the other: they obviously suspected that she is having a break-down, it happened to other members, and they left her alone with a loaded gun! I actually thought at some point that she will shoot herself.

I think the point was whether Lara could get through her breakdown. Peter infers its not uncommon, and I assume many come through the other side. Lara wasn't able to.

There should be some reference to her in the next season. I know Frank was depressed after losing Catherine but if he could pull himself together and get back to work, he would surely want to know what happened to his friend. Watching Antipas I can see that the conflict between him and Lucy Butler is personal and Bob's death still is a painful wound. Laura was simply forgotten.

I always got the impression that while season three did embrace two as canon, it wasn't a period of Millennium it wanted to dwell upon, looking to re-enforce more the earthy elements of season one. I don't think the crew - or even Carter - saw two as bad, simply not a direction they wanted to pursue, so aside from Catherine's death, they really pushed the series forward.

There's a line I've always clung to spoken by a character called Avon in Blake's 7. "I have never understood why it is necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or why it should be necessary to prove it at all." Not quite Frank, but I've always liked the notion that just because we don't see evidence of someone's pain or loss, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We know Frank cared for Lara, and I agree that the final scene between himself and Lara in TTIN really was enough to cement that bond and offer a farewell. We know, even if the show doesn't mention it, he cared - so I've never had much of an issue how he doesn't reference her again. If we wanted an in-fiction reason, I'd say there is little about that day he cares to remember - or reference.

There's a line I've always clung to spoken by a character called Avon in Blake's 7. "I have never understood why it is necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care, or why it should be necessary to prove it at all." Not quite Frank, but I've always liked the notion that just because we don't see evidence of someone's pain or loss, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. We know Frank cared for Lara, and I agree that the final scene between himself and Lara in TTIN really was enough to cement that bond and offer a farewell. We know, even if the show doesn't mention it, he cared - so I've never had much of an issue how he doesn't reference her again. If we wanted an in-fiction reason, I'd say there is little about that day he cares to remember - or reference.

Cool, Blake's 7 quote! I think you hit the nail on the head about the whole Lara and Frank's caring for her. That was similar to what I was trying to say only yours is closer to the point and more eloquent.