Ardis - Where Did Thy Go?

Rate this topic

I dont know if this has been discussed yet, but i just finished re-watching "Kingdom Come" and was wondering why, oh why, wasn't the character of Ardis Cohen developed beyond this particular episode? I thought she was a perfect compliment to Frank in K.C. , no nonsense, to the point. The continual development of her character would have lent an even more serious side to the show. I could see her in assassin black just like Peter in "Roosters". A shame she was left to wither on the vine.....

post-1098-1116014799_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1116014956_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I've wondered why she didn't come back either. It was probably that she was TOO no-nonsense and not the "bombshell" kind that the networks want. Hell, FOX didn't even want Anderson to play Scully, and CC had to fight for her.

I have a favorite Ardis line. When Frank is discussing the way that the priest in the golf coarse died, and said "Torture of heretics", and Ardis said, "Golf, or drowning?" Nice little tension-breaker, showing how you've gotta try to keep some sense of humor as part of your professional detachment in that line of work.

Yeah, I've wondered why she didn't come back either.  It was probably that she was TOO no-nonsense and not the "bombshell" kind that the networks want.  Hell, FOX didn't even want Anderson to play Scully, and CC had to fight for her.

I have a favorite Ardis line.  When Frank is discussing the way that the priest in the golf coarse died, and said "Torture of heretics", and Ardis said, "Golf, or drowning?"  Nice little tension-breaker, showing how you've gotta try to keep some sense of humor as part of your professional detachment in that line of work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

EXACTLY Raven Wolf....and i still get a chuckle over that line :grin: ..Maybe its that her character had the possibility of being as "dark" as Frank and there just wasn't enough to go around for two broody characters. The potential was certainly there. A dominating female character would have been in direct conflict with the role that Henriksen played as Frank, and could have confused the viewer, as there most likely would have been the inevitable power struggle.

As a salient afterthought, and as you pointed out early in your post, Ardis was not the "bombshell" kind, and as a matter of fact, in as kind a nature as i can say, i found her character to be somewhat androgynous, whereas the later introduction of Laura Means was obviously meant to establish a more "soothing to the eyes" kind of role. Don't get me wrong, i found Ardis to be quite a babe-a-licious woman, but her aura of hardness and "black and white" outlook was no match for the softer, gentler character of Laura Means..

Just my thoughts on the subject..but i do consider it a big mistake to not re-cast her in later episodes. Personally, in that one episode, Kingdom Come, i enjoyed her character far more than i ever did the character of Cheryl Andrews, save in Force Majure...

you thoughts?

Till the Last Change....Be Done...

Fourhorsemen

post-1098-1116019624.jpg

Yeah, I've wondered why she didn't come back either.  It was probably that she was TOO no-nonsense and not the "bombshell" kind that the networks want.  Hell, FOX didn't even want Anderson to play Scully, and CC had to fight for her.

I have a favorite Ardis line.  When Frank is discussing the way that the priest in the golf coarse died, and said "Torture of heretics", and Ardis said, "Golf, or drowning?"  Nice little tension-breaker, showing how you've gotta try to keep some sense of humor as part of your professional detachment in that line of work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Amen, if you cant joke about things that go on in this line of work you will go nuts believe me, its a self defense mechanism, you cant help it, ive seen plenty who took it too seriously and burnt out within a year of hitting the street...

• Elders (Admins)

I think there a like her/don't like her thing with Artis. I didn't like her much. Have you seen the video interview at MDUK with her? She ponders about what special gifts she will have ... only Frank, love, only Frank..!

https://www.millenniumdesktop.co.uk/html/md..._Interviews.htm

Guest chrisnu

I thought that apart from the "golf, or drowning?" one-liner, Ardis was a pretty dry, one-note character that just served the plot as needed.

I thought that apart from the "golf, or drowning?" one-liner, Ardis was a pretty dry, one-note character that just served the plot as needed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll raise a drink to that!

It does appear that Ardis was intended to have a recurring role, could be that Carter felt the transition to screen didn't work or that fans hadn't taken to her (something similar happened to the character Pheobe Green in the other Carter show...) I agree wholeheartedly with the old man, just like mushrooms I'm sure some love her, some hate her but for me there was little to enjoy about Ardis. Unfortunately, in my opinion, we've seen all that before.....

Shame we had to wait so long till we got Lara...

Till then...

ethsnafu

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, i love the way we can agree to disagree on this board.. :clapping: Dry? Mike ATkins was dry, and Andrews was just simply annoying, except, as i stated before, in Force Majure. At least Ardis did exhibit a sense of humor, not "threat assessments" ala Atkins, and i thought a sense of emotion as well when she and Frank were talking about how to ponder the idea of religion. Ok, maybe she wasn't everyone's cup of tea, and Old Man, you are right, she was pondering what "gift" she would be given. Sounds a bit arrogant to me, and it would have taken away from the central focal point and that is Frank...but it does appear that her character was going to be further explored at a later day on MillenniuM Abyss, so maybe her assuming a larger role on the show was enough to scare the execs away..Who Knows?

anyway, hopefully, as the days come and go, we are approaching the time when we will convince the powers that be that we need the answers to the myriad of questions we still have..remember, approaching the sun brings definitive change...

Till the last Change...Be Done...

fourhorsemen

post-1098-1116100572.gif