Paper Dove

Rate this topic

Something I have always wanted to mention about this episode, is that i think it was an extremely realistic depiction of a family gathering. The sister's little digs toward Frank, and her projecting all her own problems onto Catherine in the guise of concern. The annoying comments from Catherine's mother about the possibility of another grandchild. This is all classic family stuff.

And then there is this one, which I think takes the cake. Frank's father in law, doesn't mind taking Frank away from the family to on his vacation to do some work for a friend. Yet, in one of the latter episodes, after Catherine has died, Frank's father in law criticizes him for not spending enough time with Jordan because of his work. And in the same breath criticizes him for not doing more work to find those responsible for Catherine's death! That is classic family stuff.

Another thing I have always wanted to discuss about this episode, is that during the family meal, it is revealed that Catherine has spoken Arabic since she was a child. And the way it was discussed, didn't really seem like it was adding much information about Catherine's character or family history. It didn't seem like just filler conversation either.

Now, I would think that would be something the writers revealed, as a set up for using here knowledge to help Frank or the Group in later episodes. I mean, the themes of MillenniuM deal with millennial prophesy and religious ideas that came out of the Middle East. You would think that at some point, there might have been some episode that Catherine could have used this knowledge of Arabic language and Asian culture.

But, we never heard of it again. Not even a hint of it. It is like the writers completely forgot about it. I think it was one of MLM's missed opportunities.

Something I have always wanted to mention about this episode, is that i think it was an extremely realistic depiction of a family gathering.  The sister's little digs toward Frank, and her projecting all her own problems onto Catherine in the guise of concern.  The annoying comments from Catherine's mother about  the possibility of another grandchild.  This is all classic family stuff.

And then there is this one, which I think takes the cake.  Frank's father in law, doesn't mind taking Frank away from the family to on his vacation to do some work for a friend.  Yet, in one of the latter episodes, after Catherine has died, Frank's father in law criticizes him for not spending enough time with Jordan because of his work.  And in the same breath criticizes him for not doing more work to find those responsible for Catherine's death!  That is classic family stuff.

Another thing I have always wanted to discuss about this episode, is that during the family meal, it is revealed that Catherine has spoken Arabic since she was a child.  And the way it was discussed, didn't really seem like it was adding much information about Catherine's character or family history.  It didn't seem like just filler conversation either.

Now, I would think that would be  something the writers revealed, as a set up for using here knowledge to help Frank or the Group in later episodes.  I mean, the themes of MillenniuM deal with millennial prophesy and religious ideas that came out of the Middle East.  You would think that at some point, there might have been some episode that Catherine could have used this knowledge of Arabic language and Asian culture.

But, we never heard of it again.  Not even a hint of it.  It is like the writers completely forgot about it.  I think it was one of MLM's missed opportunities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ditto Psycho!!...thank God they did not include Catherine's sister in more than that one episode. "Off to do some noble deed" - spanks of jealousy that her husband managed the local supermarket and the biggest mystery there was who mixed the carrots with the celery. Gee, nothing like a little bitch to ruin a good weekend, in terms of pure, unadulterated nastiness, she gave Lucy Butler a run for her money...

Smithsonian? Sight-seeing? No sir, not when you can sit for hours and pour over criminal files concerning women who have had the larynx'es excised without severing their carotids, thats the vacation for me!!!!!!

Yes, and what a round and varied person Catherine was (speaking arabic,etc) when she wasn't busy dodging Satan standing at the top of her stairs, or discovering excised body parts in her refrigerator, or having two of her husband's friends (The Old Man and of course Bletch) killed in their very own house, or watching her husband take out the polaroid man, only to then turn around and exhibit her genetic ties to her sister by condemning him for his actions. I sometimes feel that Fabricant had it right in Lamentations when he told Frank to "Run".....

post-1098-1116946322_thumb.jpg

Ditto Psycho!!...thank God they did not include Catherine's sister in more than that one episode. "Off to do some noble deed" - spanks of jealousy that her husband managed the local supermarket and the biggest mystery there was who mixed the carrots with the celery. Gee, nothing like a little bitch to ruin a good weekend, in terms of pure, unadulterated nastiness, she gave Lucy Butler a run for her money...

Smithsonian? Sight-seeing? No sir, not when you can sit for hours and pour over criminal files concerning women who have had the larynx'es  excised without severing  their carotids, thats the vacation for me!!!!!!

Yes, and what a round and varied person Catherine was (speaking arabic,etc) when she wasn't busy dodging Satan standing at the top of her stairs, or discovering excised body parts in her refrigerator, or having two of her husband's friends (The Old Man and of course Bletch) killed in their very own house, or watching her husband take out the polaroid man, only to then turn around and exhibit her genetic ties to her sister by condemning him for his actions. I sometimes feel that Fabricant had it right in Lamentations when he told Frank to "Run".....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL! :rofl:

Ohhhhh.... don't even get me started about Catherine. I used to be sympathetic towards her, but over the last few times round of viewing the entire series, I have really changed my mind about her. It is largely because she ask for a separation that Frank got more and more involved in the MLM Group, and turned more and more inward. Both things that she would moan about to him in different episodes of season 2.

And, let's not forget... let's see first he risks his sanity, career, and life to save her, then she asks him to leave... :u_thinking02y: Yes, I would say Catherine and her family are a right piece of work.

Now, let's examine Frank and his family.... mother "sees" angels and kills herself, father let's her, Frank "sees things" as well.... and let's not forget that winning picture of Frank's father he sent as gifts on holidays! :rofl: Lookin' really upbeat! LOL!

Ohhhhh.... don't even get me started about Catherine.  I used to be sympathetic towards her, but over the last few times round of viewing the entire series, I have really changed my mind about her.  It is largely because she ask for a separation that Frank got more and more involved in the MLM Group, and turned more and more inward.  Both things that she would moan about to him in different episodes of season 2.

And, let's not forget... let's see first he risks his sanity, career, and life to save her, then she asks him to leave...   :u_thinking02y:   Yes, I would say Catherine and her family are a right piece of work.

Now, let's examine Frank and his family.... mother "sees" angels and kills herself, father let's her, Frank "sees things" as well.... and let's not forget that winning picture of Frank's father he sent as gifts on holidays!   :rofl:   Lookin' really upbeat!  LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

great points...but, both of us forgot to mention the one person in Frank's family that seemed somewhat normal...his brother Thomas...the one time he visits Frank to have his baby christened, his wife winds up behind drywall....he turns out to be another Catherine when he tells Frank "This never would have happened if we handn't come to visit, you bring it upon yourself"..

Do you remember his whining throughout the episode about being "left out"? Well, he was, considering that his mother, his brother, and his niece (Jordan) all had gifts he did not..and what a stellar performance he gave with the gun at the kids door...an NRA how-to demonstration....LOL

oh, that christmas picture will live in my mind for quite some time....but on the positive side, Darin McGavin gave what i thought was one of the most absolutely stellar performances as Frank's dad in the entire MillenniuM series.

:clapping::clapping::clapping:

MOTC still tugs at the heart strings...i think, in my opinion, that it took almost ALL of what MillenniuM was about and combined them seamlessly into a fantastic episode..Frank still has his "gift" scene with the fetch in the churchyard, and if you notice, when he turns around and sees the angel walking past the window saying "Tomorrow", watch when he gets up to go outside, he rises with that certain body language that says "Here i go again". I mean, heres a guy who comes to watch an innocent childs Christmas play, and he has to get up in the middle, go outside, and have a conversation with an angel. Only on MillenniuM!!!!

NRA how to demo!!!! LOLOLOLO ROTFLMAO

Yes, now that's really logical... Tom and his wife come to Seattle of their own free will to have their baby christened in their family church. Let us remember it was their idea! And, then, somehow it is Franks fault! That's family for you! Frank was seemed to be the easy target scapegoat for every last one of them.

Man, it would be very interesting to have a mental health professional do an analysis of the Black family with all of their "seeing things," scapegoating, projection, etc. I bet they would all be on medication and under psychiatric care (inpatient or outpatient)! LOL!

Agreed, Darin McGavin was great in that ep. And the ep itself was, indeed, truly amazing in bringing all of that together.

Edited by Selfosophist

Ohhhhh.... don't even get me started about Catherine.  I used to be sympathetic towards her, but over the last few times round of viewing the entire series, I have really changed my mind about her.  It is largely because she ask for a separation that Frank got more and more involved in the MLM Group, and turned more and more inward.  Both things that she would moan about to him in different episodes of season 2.

And, let's not forget... let's see first he risks his sanity, career, and life to save her, then she asks him to leave... :u_thinking02y: Yes, I would say Catherine and her family are a right piece of work.

Now, let's examine Frank and his family.... mother "sees" angels and kills herself, father let's her, Frank "sees things" as well.... and let's not forget that winning picture of Frank's father he sent as gifts on holidays! :rofl: Lookin' really upbeat!  LOL!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i agree, i asked my wife for a female point of view, she told me that if some crazed stalker kidnapped her and threatened her with a knife, and then if i showed up and took him out, i would be her hero....but frank has to move out...whats up with that?

I have an idea that the writers took it as an opportunity to add more tension to the story-arc of Franks life, and the general direction of Frank's story being a modern retelling of the story of Job. I also think the writers might have seen the separation as another opportunity to allow the various manifestations of Legion to temp Frank into giving up his fight against impending evil as the millennium approached. As part of their deal, they would usually imply that he could have his family back, and that they would be protected. Just some ideas I had about why the writers might have had Catherine behave as she did.

• 5 years later...

I would say that the subtle second demon in "Somehow Satan" was trying to use Frank's family against him.

Yes, Frank could have TOTALLY shut down his father-in-law by stating, "Wait a minute.....didn't I give up my last vacation for a favor for your friend?" in the season three opener!

How our hero takes the high road.........

:rock2: