Antipas reminds me of The Omen

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming
I was watching Antipas and I thought, "Wow, this reminds me of The Omen." Then a little bit later the husband was talking on the phone and says kinda loud,"I take it as an Omen.  I thought that was kinda cool. Did anyone else think this when they watched it?

I never really thought of it as being Omenistic.  I guess there could be a lot of similarities, or perhaps it was the blatant inspiration for the ep.  Why not? The X-Files imitated and blatantly used inspiration from various movies and shows.  And it usually turned out fairly nicely.  I guess it is a 1013 thing.

I supposed I didn't really notice the whole Omenistic thing, because I was so distracted by the whole Lucy/Legion/Male-Counter-Part storyline and how that all got played out.

But there are alot of similarities.  The privaleged upbringing, the dogs as her guardians, the very look of the entire episode (in particular, it very much resembled the shadowy, hazy, gloomy look of Omen III: Final Conflict).

I like this episode, though.  I will now give it an new look while watching.  Thanks.

Scott

.......THE OMEN????   that's the first time i've ever heard of that comparison before!  it really is amazing,and cool,what many different things people can get from the eps. personaly,i do not think there is anything,vibe-wise/story-wise,about this ep being like the omen. i just don't see it at all. and that's easily one of my fav eps of the entire run. i'll file that comparison away in my ever-bulking journal of "viewer-takes"!

~peace,

se7en :ouro:

• Elders (Admins)

Yeah, I agree too. There was an "Omenistic" atmosphere to the episode and it's imagery. The scene of the girl being swallowed by the snake representative of Legion consuming her soul gave me shivers. That was a very different scene to any before I'd seen in Millennium.

I have to own up to purposely avoiding The Omen and it's sequels on TV. I'm 32 and still find it too horrific and disturbing to watch and I've seen some wierd sh*t, trust me.

For me The Omen series were the most terrifying horror movies ever made.

Funny how there's a connection with Millennium fans liking both Millennium and horror movies...

Gra. :ghostface:

Guest Second Coming
.......THE OMEN????   that's the first time i've ever heard of that comparison before!  it really is amazing,and cool,what many different things people can get from the eps. personaly,i do not think there is anything,vibe-wise/story-wise,about this ep being like the omen. i just don't see it at all. and that's easily one of my fav eps of the entire run. i'll file that comparison away in my ever-bulking journal of "viewer-takes"!

~peace,

se7en :ouro:

Really, you didn't see the similarities? Mostly what I saw was the atmosphere at the parents house. Especially one of the early scenes where the parents are walking by the water. That looked a lot like one of the early scenes out of the Omen. In that scene the little boy has some problem and in Antipas the girl gets lost. Both have kids that seem freaky. Here are some other good similarities; The father in the Omen is an ambassador(something to that effect) and the guy in Antipas is running for governor. A priest comes to the father in Omen and trys to warn him of the danger of his son but is met with anger by the father and doesn't believe him.  In Antipas the father is contacted by Frank Black and Frank tries to warn him of Lucy but the father gets mad at Frank. Also the English style house and estate are the same. I think story-wise it's definatley different. But the father in Antipas even exaggerates the word OMEN when he's talking to someone on the phone. I just thought it was weird that I was thinking that and then he said that on the phone.

Guest Mr. Ected Hostility
I can handle the obvious imagery but I was kind of dissapointed with the lack of Frank/Lucy scenes. It focused a little too much on the family. But it was really a step up compared to how Lucy was used in "A Room With No View". The best scene is the one near the end. "The fruit of our union poplulates the earth."

2nd Comming really pointed out a lot of similarities there.  After hearing this and seeing it for myself, it really is hard to ignore.  I think it is very likely that this was a purposefully movie inspired episode (like they did with the X-Files now and again).  And I think that emphasis on Omen from the father is a tall tail, classic sign/wink of the 1013 writers.  I think it was probably a little nod to the horror movie fans who were drawn to MLM, kind of like they did in 13 Years Later, and Midnight of the Century, etc.  I think you nailed this one 2nd Comming.  I believe you are the first.  I have never heard anyone talk about this before.  Good Catch!!!!  Good Show!!!

Guest Second Coming
And I think that emphasis on Omen from the father is a tall tail, classic sign/wink of the 1013 writers.  

That's what put the nail in the coffin for me. When I heard him say Omen all suspisions in my mind were confirmed.

And that is classic 1013. And there's nothing wrong with drawing from movies. The X-files did it all the time. I also found out a little tidbit on the whold Jose Chung thing but I'll save that for another thread. :D