Emma

Rate this topic

Maybe James was part of the group, and somehow they were responsible for Emma's sister's death. If James was part of the group, and knew how they worked, that would make him more aware of what she had done. Also, if James was part of the group, he most likely had some sort of gift; maybe the group was interested in Emma for abilities that hadn't yet manifested... Emma could have been a sort of mirror for Jordan. The daughter that's inherited the father's abilities.

What a fascinating idea. It would certainly answer my long held bugbear as to how James Hollis knew that Emma had made such a huge mistake by entering into a Faustian pact to save her father's sanity. There's definitely an untold story with James Hollis. The stuff in Darwin's Eye is especially intriguing and gets dropped after the episode. James' connection to scenes of Palm Trees being destroyed and the implied connection between this and Cass' father/backstory are so ambiguous I have never made sense of them. Maybe they were due to be explored at a later date but they never got the chance.

Eth

Yes, the palm trees! There's definitely something there... it's one thing when he's losing his mind. I mean, there could be some horrible incident in his past that he's reliving with his dementia. But it's on the TV after he's treated and coherent. This makes me think that it's a very active regret in his mind. Maybe one that was stirred up by his recent dealings with The Group.

Great insight, I agree Brian, James Hollis definitely knew more then we thought he would, and they definitely left us hanging regarding his part and possible association with the group. He knew more about what was going on then would have been expected if he hadn't had any connection with the group. I have no doubts that there was something lurking in his past, and I bet the group knew what it was. They're probably responsible for the TV and reminding him. And, now that you mention Emma sister, the group probably had a hand in getting her killed. Who knows when it comes to the group's involvement. Look at what happened to Lara or Cheryl Andrews.

I think therefore this would be a good time to post the profile for James Hollis.

Emma's father, who began a rapid decline into Alzheimer's, had a mysterious link to Cass Doyle as he was seen photocopying pictures of palm trees being destroyed by a nuclear blast. Cass too had a fixation on palm trees; she drew them on the walls of her cell, the orderly she murdered wore a military insignia of a palm tree, and she was raped by her father and found holding Joe McNolte's severed head in The Palm Court Motel. (Darwin's Eye)

Peter Watts explained to Emma that The Millennium Group had been involved in biomedical research and discovered a way to reverse the affects of Alzheimer's. Emma declined his invitation for help. (Via Dolorosa)

After seeing her father's condition worsen, Emma reluctantly agreed to join The Millennium Group, but her father, his condition improved, told her: "You shouldn't have done what they asked." (Goodbye To All That)

When you see it written like that it's definitely implied that James Hollis has some connection to the overall scheme of things. The connection between him and Cass and her father is some ambiguous it's impossible to pin down exactly what it was. If I remember rightly, one of the motivating factors of writing the virtual fourth season was to address some of this gaps in the narrative as the cancellation left us without closure.

Looking at it logically, if James Hollis was a member of the group I would have imagined Emma would have been cognisant of that fact. The group seemed to play a big part in their members lives. Maybe they crossed paths at some point or he was involved in a project that was the forerunner of that seen in Collateral Damage (James was a military man as I recall). His anger when he realises what Emma has done could be, in part, because he had fallen foul of the group himself in the past.

Eth

I agree Mark, I bet James Hollis has some kind of dealing with the group while he was in the military, but not close enough for them to invite him to join. I vaguely remember someone saying that the group could have given James Alzheimer's. As secretive as the group is, they could hide anyone's membership if they wanted to. Sure am glad we're not like that. What an opposite everyone here is compared to the TV MLM Group. Thank you. :notworthy: