Which episode has....

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming
... the priest that has found something about the early Christian church or Jesus(I can't remember) and says "If this is true it changes everything I believe in", or something to that effect. Can anyone help me out?

I am not sure it is a priest that said it.  The line, or the idea of it, was perhaps referred to in Anamnesis.  Specifically, referring to the Black Virgin gnositc mythos of Mary Magdeline, and the family line of Christ and Mary Magdeline's offspring, who have a heritage of special gifts and powers, etc.

I know that, during Anamnesis, Peter Watts and Lara Means discussed the idea of lost faith, and resulting chaos through the possibility that the Magdeline mythos was truth.  Perhaps the minister in the story made a statement similar to what you referred to?  Or perhaps it is just the dialogue between Lara and Peter that you are thinking of?

Anyone else want to take a stab at it?

Scott

.......sounds to me like a referance to an x-files ep in 98/99 directed and written,i think,by david duchovny(???????) the title eludes me though

~se7en :ouro:

Guest Second Coming
.......sounds to me like a referance to an x-files ep in 98/99 directed and written,i think,by david duchovny(???????) the title eludes me though

~se7en :ouro:

hmmmmm....Se7en you might be right.

• Elders (Moderators)

<font color='#000000'>From a quick scan through various transcripts I've got here:

Not from "The Unnatural" - written and directed by Duchovny in 1999 - that's the baseball/alien one.

Not from "Hollywood A.D." - also by Duchovny in 2000 - the one involving the priest buying up all copies of the Gospel of Mary Magdelene believing they were true and wanting to hide them from others: "To keep others from feeling the despair... and the anger that I felt."

Not from "Amnesis", either.

Mmm, I'll keep looking. The line does sound very familiar.</font>

------

Guest Second Coming
I remember it looking like a Millennium Episode but not I don't think it was. I've watched all the episodes and it wasn't there.  So it must be some X files episode that was on the same years  as Millennium was running.  Here's what I remember about it; there was a priest in his office/room that was filled with religious artifacts and was talking with with someone. He was talking about an artifact and  saying that if it was true then it changes everything he has believed in. And it was something to do with Christ. I might be remembering it wrong but I'm pretty certain that I'm not. Maybe I'll figure it out sometime.

Guest Second Coming

Mystery solved:

It was Hollywood A.D. written and directed by DD.

Here's part of the synopsis:

"Federman follows Mulder and Scully to Hoffman's apartment, where they find not only bomb-making materials, but forging instruments and fake religious documents describing an account of Christ's life on earth after his resurrection. As they return to the crypt, Federman tells Mulder that he admires the agents' underhanded way of working. "No warrants, no permission, no research -- you're like studio executives with guns," he says. While Mulder discovers remnants of Hoffman's forgeries, Federman watches in astonishment as human bones animatedly try to reassemble broken pottery. He recounts the scene over breakfast at a diner, and Scully acknowledges that he must have been hallucinating the events. Yet Federman, filled with enough "flavor" for his movie, decides he's had enough and leaves. Scully admits that his story reminded her of an old Catholic school tale about the story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead. His incantations were engraved on a bowl being spun on a wheel nearby, like the grooves on a record. Mulder is intrigued by this idea, and sends Scully to consult with their expert friend Chuck Burks. Chuck analyzes the bowl and finds that all the notes vibrate in exactly the same key -- a feat unheard of in music.  

Meanwhile, the Cardinal despondently tells Mulder that he purchased the forgeries from Hoffman and intended to hide them because he believed they were real. The Cardinal had hoped to protect others from the despair and anger he felt when he read the documents. Mulder phones Scully to ask her to do Hoffman's autopsy, suspecting that the Cardinal may have murdered Hoffman for blackmail over the forged papers."

• Elders (Moderators)

Aaah. Good to know that you've found what you are looking for.

As regards that TXF episode, I have to say that I do admire Duchovny for his humour (OT: his appearances on Bonny were a very good use of his comedic abilities). But I also think that this TXF episode was very muddled. The storyline about the forgeries was very interesting (and Millenniumistic) so I felt it was a pity that it became subsumed under the comedy aspects.

Guest Second Coming
The storyline about the forgeries was very interesting (and Millenniumistic) so I felt it was a pity that it became subsumed under the comedy aspects.

I completely agree.

Guest LauraKrycek

I don't know... this phrase seems extremely familiar to me as well, but it certainly isn't from that episode.  There's no line like that in the episode (check for yourself:  ).  Maybe I'll find it someday... or perhaps it's a line they use in a lot of things.  It sounds like one of those lines writers use in a number of projects like this (like with certain "end of the world" lines... one of those stock things that sounds good and makes everyone be able to complete the character's sentences).

And on another note, the forgery storyline might have been so interesting and Millenniumistic because, like so many of Millennium's plots, it's based loosely on actual events.  *Michael* Hoffman tried to do pretty much the same thing to the Mormon church, I believe.  There was a lot of Mormon and ex-Mormon buzz when this episode came out, as there was a small amount over the Jehovah's Witness\Mormon missionary spoof in the beginning of the absolutely terrible episode "Fight Club".  I don't know the whole Hoffman story, but my dad does (he knows literally everything about the Mormon church, if anyone's interested in hearing about it; proof is here), so if anyone wants to hear all about it, I can get the info from him to share.