12/25?

Rate this topic

Those of us who have watched "In Arcadia Ego" know what the episode is about, immaculate conception, for there was no evidence of human "intervention" in Janette's pregnancy. Interwoven amongst the story line are two instances where Janette's virgin birth seems to parallel that of Mary Magdelene..

When both Janette and "Sonny" approach the house initially to find no one home, the address on the door is 1225...is that a reference to 12/25? the accepted, yet argumentative birthday of Christ?

Later, when Frank visits the house, his first action is to look at the mailboxes..he goes down the row until he stops at the last one which reads

Bayton

John and Jennifer

1225 Magdalene Rd..

there is also has a sticker on it that says follow the path...

1225 Magdalene? A coincidence?....hardly...just another episode where the story follows the mileposts of history as it carries itself down the road.....

AHHHHH, the beauty that is MillenniuM....

Till the Last Change...Be Done..

The Fourth Horseman...

Guest SouthernCelt

Boy, 4th Horseman, you must really be studying the episodes. You're obviously watching closer than I have! :clapping:

Boy, 4th Horseman, you must really be studying the episodes.  You're obviously watching closer than I have!   :clapping:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SouthernCelt....its not as if i am fastforwarding/rewinding every frame of every episode. As shown by the bleeding obvious, i am not the fastest fish in the water....and like most of on the board here, I can lay claim to watching episodes a little more than most people would think of as normal. I enjoy re-watching to catch things in the dialogue that i may have missed, or a certain visual cue, ala Gehenna, with the shadow in the outside night light still being one of the creepiest moments for me...knowing what the episode is about i guess would make one that much more sensitive to the subtle clues, triggers, etc..

Any gems like this needs to be posted in the trivia/background forums, so that we can find it months later! Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

Horseman, you're a lot sharper than you give yourself credit for, and I would have to say your the most enthusiastic new member we're had in a WHILE! I hope you'll decide to add your unique touch to the Millennium fan book project! :praying::ouro:

I am the whore and the holy one. I am the wife and the virgin.

"12,25" What a wonderful find. What visual acuity you have! I still haven't decided if Jannie bore A divine child or THE divine child but I think the caveat you mention may be the clue to the conundrum. Writers, including Donovan Joyce in his book The Jesus Scrolls, have speculated that the story of Jesus in the New Testament is incomplete and that he married, had children and later moved with his wife (Mary Magdalene) to the south of France or Glastonbury, England. These theories have given rise to such works of pseudohistory as Holy Blood, Holy Grail, which espouses the idea that the Merovingian kings were descendants of Jesus. In another book devoted to this conspiracy, The Holy Blood, The Holy Grail, the tracing of Jesus' bloodline, the 'following of the path' if you may, is the culmination of the author's research into the painting: Les Bergers d'Arcadie (The Arcadian Shepherds) by NICOLAS POUSSIN which contains the phrase "ET IN ARCADIA EGO", "even in arcadia I exist." It does make you wonder, more so considering Fourth Horseman's note of the 'accepted' date for the nativity being used in the same breath as the Magdelene, if we are not seeing a precursor the Bloodline mythos expanded upon in the next episode, Anammesis.

Great then that we have Peter Watts sniffing around like a predatory fox, Frank wondering why he is here given that he has issued no request for his assistance, his initial insistence that Frank be excluded from the interviews to determine the baby's paternity and his decision to ignore Sonny's request for medical assistance which ultimately leaves the baby in the hands of the Millennium Group.

And if I may, some other notes from a post I did some time ago that I guess fits nicely here.

If this is an Immaculate Conception redux, the child of God born to two women immediately brought me in mind of the Gnostic controversy surrounding the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. Hebrew names for the Holy Spirit are the feminine "Shekhina" (which means "Divine Manifestation," "Divine Presence," "Divine Power," "Glory," and "Grace") and the feminine "Ruach" (which means "Soul" or "Spirit") which lead the Gnostics, in their wisdom, to conclude that the Immaculate Conception could not have occurred as '...whoever heard of a woman impregnating a woman..." this argument that has cluttered Christian Occultism for generations is clearly the canvas upon which this Millennium episode is painted. And as far as episodes go it seems littered with other levels and caveats. I love the little scene where Frank lingers upon the blood-splattered filing cabinet where the majority of the spill marks the drawer that would contain the 'X-Files', well that's what I though it meant. But there does seem to be a more glaring reference to the X-Files, an advert in Sonny's newspaper inviting them to 'Live the Dream' and move to a community where you are not afraid to go out alone. This HAS to be a reference to the X-Files episode 'Aracdia' which sees Milder and Scully back on the X-Files and going undercover as husband and wife to investigate the deaths of several residents in a seemingly perfect town.

There are again references to the Magdelene (in the address of the house our protagonists are visiting), a hint to the fact that the 'Follow the Path' cult is an offshoot of the Millennium Group (though you never get a clear view, the 'Follow the Path' bookmark appears to be surmounted by an ouroborous albeit with some additional markings). The prison in which Sonny and Jannie are held captive is Garrison Prison a hint to the legend that Mary was impregnated by one of the Roman Garrison and not by God (which gave rise to Monty Python's 'A Life of Brian'). The Talmud claims that Jesus was Yeshua ben Pantera the illegitimate son of Mary M'gadd'la (the braider or hairdresser) by a Roman guard and that she was 'descended from princes and rulers but consorted with carpenters'. The legend of Jesus son of Pantera is echoed quite literally in 'Arcadia' with Jannie supposedly bearing God's child, the result of an immaculate conception, but with strong evidence to suggest that it is in fact a natural conception after she was raped by a prison guard. Then, there is the strangest of caveats in this episode, it does require a super sharp pause-button-finger to read it though: When Sonny is alarmed by the newspaper article she reads in the clinic waiting room, the article beside it is reporting the murder, at the 'Ruby Tip Peep Show' of Joanne 'Calamity' Sandor with Seattle detectives requesting information on a black male suspect: meaning Arcadia must occur concurrently with the Pilot episode and seemingly in the initial stages of that investigation (which it obviously doesn't).

When Frank deduces that Sonny and Jannie are attempting to flee by train he is drawn to timetable entry 'Calgary 3.05 #23'. The number 23 is again showN, simply as a large number upon the boxcar with a seeming prominence that wants us to take note of it. There is a rather innocuous occult theorem which regards the number 23 as a portent for great disaster. The late author William Burroughs was so obsessed by numeric coincidences surrounding 23, he kept a scrapbook of his findings. He was drawn to the number's power when a Captain Clark told him he had run a ferry from Spain to Morocco with for 23 years without incidence: hours later it sank, killing the skipper (didn't you just see that one coming). Alternative pop band Psychic TV are so obsessed with 23 that at one point they made the Guinness Book of World Records by releasing 23 albums on the 23rd day of 23 months in a row. They were influenced by the occultist Aleister Crowley who had been convinced of the power of 23. This inexplicable fascination with 23 has become a mind-virus, seeping into the music of 'Psychic TV', the art of H.R. Giger, the comics of Jamie Hewlett and Grant Morrison, the literature of Robert Anton Wilson, Arthur Koestler, Umberto Eco, and our very own Millennium where it too is a portent of disaster.

The birth scenes in the boxcar are a poignant recreation of the nativity scene, the light from above that illuminates the straw-strewn-stable-on-wheels is a sobering experience, the fact that Jannie bleeds to death has me in mind of the numerous Marian apparitions related to blood shedding where the The Virgin's blood is shed for the ills and faithlessness of non believers. The final matyrdom of Sonny is harrowing but excellent: only moot point is Frank willingly surrendering the baby to two cult members, more indoctrinated that any Millennium Group member and very possible members themselves. Could the group have been manipulating things all along?

Methinks so..

ethsnafu

• 5 years later...

Isn't it amazing that after so many years we are finding new things and being made aware of things in episodes we never noticed before. This show just keeps getting better and better. Oh how I love Millennium. :notworthy::ouroborous: