Best And Worst Seasons?

Rate this topic

Guest canadian girl

Your favourite Season of the X-Files  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest canadian girl

I know this topic is overdone on every tv show message board, but let's do it anyway. I never get tired of reading people's opinions. :jumping:

I'm collecting all the (dreadfully overpriced) boxsets and I've only watched the first 2 episodes of Season One. From what I remember of all the seasons.....I never missed a show........Season 3 is probably the best, with 2, 4, 5 and 6 right up there too.

I'm not sure about the worst. I remember that the series finale was disappointing.

Do you like Doggett and Reyes? Were you crushed when Mulder basically left the show? Did you like the change from Vancouver to LA?

Guest Sanitarium

Here's how I rank them. 5, 1, 3, 2, 6, 4, 7, 8, 9.

I like season 5 the best because it lead up to the excellent X-Files movie and it has my favorite stand alones like Folie À Deux, Post-Modern Prometheus, Bad Blood and Kill Switch. The mythology is also quite good, after the movie or after season 6's One Son it went down hill.

The worst season IMO is 9. About the only episode I liked in that season was John Doe and that one wasn't even that good.

I think Doggett and Reyes were ok given the circumstances. I'm a fan of Robert Patrick so I liked seeing him in there. I think they could have done without the Reyes character, it seemed unnecessary. But I suppose they were anticipating Gillian Anderson hanging it up as well so what can you do?

I wasn't crushed when Mulder left. I didn't like it, but I wasn't crushed. By that time I was getting tired of Mulder's search for his sister and when that was finally brought to an end, what else was there? They managed to drag that out for 7 seasons and enough was enough.

As for the Vancouver move, well, it sucked. I was watching season 1's Darkness Falls last night, one of my favorites, and it just made me hate the move even more. In that episode there's these lush, foggy forest landscapes, cold wet weather, and just a dark overall feel. You get none of that in LA. I loved how the show was always cold, wet and dark when they shot in Vancouver. Not to say that the move was a total farce, Dreamland I &II in season 6 are awesome, as well as many other stand alones post season 5, but the show never felt the same again.

Guest chrisnu

I wholeheartedly agree regarding the atmosphere change. They were never really about to capture the Vancouver feel in the LA years, but there was still standout episodes being made. I think that the closest echoes to Vancouver on a purely aesthetic level were "Millennium" (what a coincidence!) and "Patience".

Here's my rankings of the seasons:

3, 4, 2, 6, 5, 7, 1, 8, 9

Guest canadian girl

Thanks for those great replies.

I too agree that the move from Vancouver to LA was detrimental to the show. Dry and sun-baked doesn't do the X-Files themes justice like damp and gloomy do.

I've got Seasons 3 and 5 coming from Amazon this week. I'm so excited :fool: .

Guest lonegungrrly1121

hhhm, i have a very unique view on the x files. having watched it and watched it over the years, i have come to see it as two shows. season's 1- 7 with the original conspiracy, the mulder/scully dynamic, then season 8, with in my opinnion, the doggett/scully dynamic.

season's 1- 7 would have to be (from best to worst)

1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3, 7

season's 8-9 would be 8 then 9.

i like the newer 'show' better (more to think/argue about lol) so season 7 would be the all time low of the x files IMO.

nope, wasn't sad when mulder left, like someone else said he was getting a bit stale anyway. robert patrick gave the show a breath of fresh air and added so much more tension and depth.

all in all, an excellent show, but i think i have a wierd view on things...

Guest canadian girl

You have a unique persective! I've never heard anyone say that they like the later shows better.

I like Robert Patrick as well. I will always associate him with his role in Terminator 2.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
You have a unique persective!  I've never heard anyone say that they like the later shows better.

I like Robert Patrick as well.  I will always associate him with his role in Terminator 2.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it's strange, when i'm watching season's 1-6 i love that, and would say that i like the earlier seasons more (the atmosphere and feel from season 1 is awesom!) but when I'm watching season's 8 and 9, there is so much more to think about... granted thats probably because the writers THEMSELVES have lost the plot lol

and T2 is great. wasn't lance henriksen originally supposed to be the terminator? now i couldn't have coped with that... all that eye candy.... :eyes:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well, I couldn't stand Season 5 at all... Anyway, my selections would be,

1, 2, 7, 9, 8, 3, 6, 4,5.

I liked Seasons 8 and 9 as you can probably tell but the first two Seasons remain the absolute best for me easily. Also I really, really enjoyed S7 even if the latter third was pretty dire (Hollywood AD, Fight Club et al).

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Well, I couldn't stand Season 5 at all... Anyway, my selections would be,

1, 2, 7, 9, 8, 3, 6, 4,5.

I liked Seasons 8 and 9 as you can probably tell but the first two Seasons remain the absolute best for me easily. Also I really, really enjoyed S7 even if the latter third was pretty dire (Hollywood AD, Fight Club et al).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I thought personally that by the end of season 7, the show was getting a bit stale. Fight Club has got to be the worst episode ever IMO, though i was quite impressed initially at least with requiem. the worst thing about season 7 was that the MSR was forced down our throats (same goes with season 9 ... dearest dana?!) it was fresh and the chemistry was awesome in the earlier seasons though.

the best season IMO is season 8 :D

also like you say, i think that season 5 was a bit lacking, but that was probably due to the x files movie, MM and Harsh Realm taking up 1013's time.