Best And Worst Seasons?

Rate this topic

Guest canadian girl

Your favourite Season of the X-Files  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Frank L.

I love every season of The X-Files. Season 9 wasn't as good as the previous 8 IMHO. But every season had something unique. In Season 1 everything was very new and exciting. In Season 2 everything started to expand. The storylines etc, and this continued in the next seasons. I do think that they were doing too many comedy episodes in seasons 5, 6 and 7. That's why I loved season 8 so much. The X-Files got darker and more serious again. Robert Patrick also contributed to this.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't have a favorite X-Files season. Every season has brilliant episodes, but also one or two 'bad' episodes. Although 'bad' is a relative term in The X-Files.

Guest canadian girl

I really liked Season 5.

I'm watching my DVDs slowly but surely. I've finished Season One and am through Ascension in Season 2. Good Stuff.

I've got to try to put some money aside for Seasons 7, 8 and 9.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Well, S5 for me had many problems. It had several episodes that I cannot watch as they are just too ridiculous (Post-Modern Prometheus, Chinga, Killswitch). The metaplot spiralled further and further out of control with the silly American/Russian 'arms race' over cures for the black cancer etc.

Basically, it lacked decent X-Files. There were very few actual, proper, M+S investigating strange events episodes.

Metaplot episodes:

Rudux, Redux II, Christmas Carol, Emily, Patient X, The Red and the Black, The End.

Comedy episodes:

Unusual Suspects, The Post-Modern Prometheus, Bad Blood.

Flashback/'Experimental' episodes:

Travellers, Unsual Suspects.

Now, all of these (I know US is in twice), are deviations from the standard X-File. They are episodes that either focus on comedy, metaplot etc or don't have both M+S in. You could add 'Chinga' to this really because it doesn't really feature DD.

In a Season of only 20 episodes this is pushing the mark. It leaves very few episodes of standard episodes. It doesn't help that:

'Detour' is very, very similar to old episodes like 'Quagmire' and 'Darkness Falls'.

'Kitsunegari' is a sequel to a previous classic (and isn't nearly as good).

'Killswitch' really doesn't seem like it belongs in The X-Files with it satelliete weapons firing at M+S...

Of the remaining episodes, there are a few decent ones. 'Mind's Eye' is okay, 'All Souls' has its moments and 'Folie A Deux' is my favourite episode of the Season by far. But overall... very disapointing indeed.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Well, S5 for me had many problems. It had several episodes that I cannot watch as they are just too ridiculous (Post-Modern Prometheus, Chinga, Killswitch). The metaplot spiralled further and further out of control with the silly American/Russian 'arms race' over cures for the black cancer etc.

Basically, it lacked decent X-Files. There were very few actual, proper, M+S investigating strange events episodes.

Metaplot episodes:

Rudux, Redux II, Christmas Carol, Emily, Patient X, The Red and the Black, The End.

Comedy episodes:

Unusual Suspects, The Post-Modern Prometheus, Bad Blood.

Flashback/'Experimental' episodes:

Travellers, Unsual Suspects.

Now, all of these (I know US is in twice), are deviations from the standard X-File. They are episodes that either focus on comedy, metaplot etc or don't have both M+S in. You could add 'Chinga' to this really because it doesn't really feature DD.

In a Season of only 20 episodes this is pushing the mark. It leaves very few episodes of standard episodes. It doesn't help that:

'Detour' is very, very similar to old episodes like 'Quagmire' and 'Darkness Falls'.

'Kitsunegari' is a sequel to a previous classic (and isn't nearly as good).

'Killswitch' really doesn't seem like it belongs in The X-Files with it satelliete weapons firing at M+S...

Of the remaining episodes, there are a few decent ones. 'Mind's Eye' is okay, 'All Souls' has its moments and 'Folie A Deux' is my favourite episode of the Season by far. But overall... very disapointing indeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i understand what you're saying, season 5 isn't really up there with the best, but does an episode have to be 'standard' for it to be good? I mean, some of the episodes that break the mold have been the best. personally, I quite enjoyed the mythology episodes in this season, they were much better than those in season 6 anyway. and as for bad blood, ah, I love that episode!

I also could have lived without the other 'funny' episodes quite easily. PMP was poor (and sick!) and Unusual Suspects wasn't needed IMO and 'Travellers'- that sucked mightily- It's only redeeming factor was that Muler was wearing a wedding ring and it gave us a little insight into his life before Scully.

This season definately has it's ups and downs and some of the episodes were really adventurous considering the main writing team were diluting their efforts on other projects

post-1156-1123153112_thumb.jpg

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

In my opinion, the Mythology episodes were very overrated in most Seasons and certainly were not why I watched. I thought the real meat of any Season was the quality of its stand alones. Comedy episodes and experimental episodes are okay if they are infrequent. Allow them to dominate the Season however and you are in bad territory.

It's a shame because the Season had potential. Mulder is in the depths of despair having lost his iron clad belief in the existence of extra terrestial life. He shuffles around and snaps at people who make the assumption he still believes. He comes to see his work as others do - a joke that has ruined his career. But instead of exploring this what do we get? Loads of comedy episodes and far too many episodes that only feature either Mulder OR Scully. This was a Series that was built on the strength of the odd partnership and without that it always suffered.

Guest lonegungrrly1121
  But instead of exploring this what do we get? Loads of comedy episodes and far too many episodes that only feature either Mulder OR Scully. This was a Series that was built on the strength of the odd partnership and without that it always suffered.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In that respect, I think that Scully only episodes, e.g. 'Christmas Carol' and 'Chinga' have always been better than Mulder only episodes like '3' and 'Unusual Suspects'

though only having one lead is far from ideal, I think that Gillian Anderson could carry episodes alone a lot better than DD.

but then again, as you say, the show has always been based on partnership. M/S for 7 years, D/S for one year, and thats exactly why season 9 was not as good as season 8- threesomes don't work! R/D/S was just not clever IMO! LOL

• 2 months later...
Guest Frank L.
In that respect, I think that Scully only episodes, e.g. 'Christmas Carol' and 'Chinga' have always been better than Mulder only episodes like '3' and 'Unusual Suspects'

though only having one lead is far from ideal, I think that Gillian Anderson could carry episodes alone a lot better than DD.

but then again, as you say, the show has always been based on partnership. M/S for 7 years, D/S for one year, and thats exactly why season 9 was not as good as season 8- threesomes don't work! R/D/S was just not clever IMO! LOL

I agree with you on Gillian Anderson, she can carry episodes better than David Duchovny. But I think that's also because there were more Mulder-centered episodes then Scully-centered eps. Mulder alone becomes formulaic after a while. I looked at a the list of episodes, and I think these episodes are all Mulder-centered: Fire, Little Green Men, One Breath, Colony, End Game, Oubliette, Grotesque, The Field Where I Died, Paper Hearts, Mind's Eye, and the list goes on...

Scully-centered episodes are rare: Beyond The Sea, Irresistible, I think Revelations was too, Never Again, etc...

A lot of episodes focus more on Scully, but they also focus on other things, mostly the antagonist (Milagro, Orison). Episodes where something happens to Scully and Mulder has to solve it, for example Unruhe and Memento Mori, or Duane Barry/Ascension and Redux/Redux II.