Exegesis

Rate this topic

Libby

• Elders (Moderators)

Early on in this episode, there's a scene in the hospital. The doctor is calling for drugs to be administered to Mary, the woman in the house that exploded. He calls for two drugs, and I hear them as:

50 Lasec, 50 Manitol

Drugs often have different names in different countries. I'm a medical secretary in the UK and, believe me, I've had to bend my brain working out what medics here are talking about when I transcribe their tapes. So I certainly could recognise "phenobarb" a  little later in that scene, but not those drugs. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

As a comment on the episode itself: Transcribing sends one into a different sort of realm. Pacing through an episode as slowly as required for transcribing gives a different focus. As I'm going through the early parts I'm given a different sense of how Frank's misgivings are evidencing themselves. I also felt for Frank so much in his dealings with Catherine's parents. Lance does such a great job at conveying Frank's emotions.

Forgive my lack of complete technical expertise if this recommendation is way off base, but...

Does the television you're utilizing have a closed captioning option?  If so, will it operate while you're viewing these tapes?  I've heard from other transcriptionists in the past who've greatly simplified their efforts by keeping that closed captioning on at all times.

(In fact, I have a friend who always watches television with the closed captioning on.  It sounds eccentric, but she's always certain what was said!)

Guest LauraKrycek
I always have the captions on when I'm watching TV, too.  Unless the reception's poor, in which case it only shows jumbled nonsense, which is too bad b\c if the reception's poor I understand even less of what they're saying anyway.  I always have a lot of trouble understanding what people say for some reason, so the captions help a lot.  It also helps me to remember what they say better, for if I choose to quote them or, as Brian said, for transcribing.  Waaay back when, I used to transcribe XF eps, before Inside the X came around (or was found by me, at least), and the captioning is indeed a huge help.

Guest Mr. Ected Hostility
I used to watch TV with the closed caption all the time too. That's funny, I just remembered that. It makes you concentrate a lot harder.

• Elders (Admins)

Hi Libby,

I did a search for you with google and found reference to:

The Product Licences for Lasec Capsules 10mg, 20mg and 40mg are held by Astra Pharmaceuticals Ltd., Home Park, Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, England, WD4 8DH.

Lasec Capsules are used for treating the following conditions:

Heartburn, when fluid from the stomach escapes into the food pipe (reflux oesophagitis and oesophageal reflex disease).

Ulcers in the upper part of the intestine (duodenal ulcer)

Stomach ulcers (gastric ulcer).

Ulcers which are infected with bacteria called Helicobacter pylori

Prevention of damage to the lungs caused by breathing in stomach fluids (acid aspiration). For Instance, it may be used before an operation.

Excess acid in the stomach caused by a tumour in the pancreas - (Zollinger–Ellison syndrome).

Also at Drugs.Com they have a listing for:

Listing for Mannitol  

1.  MANNITOL

Description: Mannitol, administered intravenously, is indicated to promote diuresis in the prevention and/or treatment of the oliguric phase of acute renal failure before irreversible renal failure becomes established . Mannitol, administered intravenously, is indicated to reduce elevated intraocular pressure...

Interestingly, Drugs.com don't have a listing for Lasec.  ???

Hope this helps.

BTW, I never realised you were a Limey like me!

Regards,

Graham.

"Eagerally awaiting those transcripts!" :ouro:

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks everyone!

Brian: Good suggestion but I'm transcribing from downloaded mpg files and they don't have closed captioning. Generally I can get the dialogue pretty well, but technical terms and non-English languages are a problem.

Laura: So you've transcribed TXF eps - did you have problems like me with the "Mulder mumble"  :laugh: ? My hearing is maybe not so good as it used to be and I often have closed captioning on when I'm watching DVDs.

Mr Ected: It does sometimes take more concentration, if only to decide which bit of the screen to look at - the words or the action. But at least it's only moving the eyes, rather than going through the sequence of find the remote, rewind, up the volume, listen, decrease the volume, lose the remote.

Graham: Thanks for the info. Those drugs look as though they could be used to treat whatever the crisis is that the character is going through. I'll use them and make a note of the drugs.com site in case it'd be useful in the future. And, yup, I'm a Limey - a 'ampshire 'og, to be precise. ;)

Guest LauraKrycek
LOL, yes, the "Mulder mumble" did cause a few problems.  And it didn't help that at the time I did most of mine, the reception I used was poor and I was generally up in the middle of the night doing it (whenever FX would show them, I'd transcribe as much of it as I could) in a room right next to my parents' that had a very thin door inbetween (which meant no cranking up the volume or they'd yell at me and make me go on to bed, and I had no TV of my own at the time).  I always prefer to have the captions on now with whatever I'm watching; the only problem is that w\ XF, every now and again they'd have changed the dialogue (sometimes a minor thing, sometimes severely -- see Scully's monologue in "Fire").  But this is more fun when watching "The Simpsons" because they often change the jokes between the time it's sent to be captioned and the time it's aired, so you sometimes get two for the price of one.

• 6 months later...
Guest David Marx

I'm pretty sure that the request would be for 50 Lasix, 50 Mannitol.  Lasix is a Loop Diuretic, and Mannitol (in IV use) is an Osmotic Diuretic.  This is actually a pretty decent piece of writing for such a short scene, as there is mention of Mary's  severe head trauma, and the emergency could very well have been caused by pulmonary edema - especially becuase of the smoke inhalation. Treatment in these cases is usually to "dry the patient out", esp. as with a head injury, that kind of spike in BP could cause a cerebral accident in seconds. :thumbsup_big:

The part that kind of sucks (from a medical standpoint) is that she probably should have been intubated with her injurues.  :thinking_big:

Ah well, it was like, what - less than 60 seconds of screen time?

Hope this helps,

-Rob_

• Elders (Moderators)

Thanks for the info, Rob. Very interesting. It does fit in well with the context. I've added the info as a note to the transcript, for when it and the rest are finally finished.

Working a 6-day week at the moment rather prevents too much involvement in things Millennium, :sad_big: but I'm hoping to make more progress soon.

These details are important, to me at least. I figure that as the writers often do their best to be accurate, the transcripts should be also.

Libby

Guest PROVO_SIX

It is most likely Lasix, a diuretic.  I work at a pharmaceutical co in the US, and that's the first thing that came to mind.  The link states it is frequently used for:

[*]Fluid overload in the body such as in heart failure or kidney failure

[*]To establish a constant urine flow to prevent potential kidney damage from Cisplatinum

[*]Urgent treatment of Hypertension

https://www.tirgan.com/lasix.htm

Sorry, just read the above thread that resolves the matter.

:plaster_big: