Tough "Luminary" Question

Rate this topic

In "Luminary," Catherine has a book on astrology with what is supposed to be a paining of Petrarch on Mount Ventoux. In the book, the text underneath it says "Recieving wisdom on Mount Ventoux." It doesn't seem like this is the real title of the painting. Does anyone know what the painting's title is and the name of the artist that painted it? It looks like it is from the Renaissance, but I really have no clue.

• Elders (Moderators)
A friend of mine is studying History of Art - and she's a MM fan - so I'll email her and see if she has any ideas. (But bear in mind that she's a student and it's Sunday evening so if she's got any sense whatsoever she'll be in the Union Bar - so don't hold your breath).  :laugh:

• Elders (Moderators)

I've had a reply from my friend. It's amazing the speed of the internet - even better when people are in the same time zone!

She wasn't able to find out anything about the painting. She did some searching on art sites on Mount Ventoux - and I can bet she's got the most informative sites bookmarked. She commented that if it's a real painting it might have a completely different name but says that would unlikely since paintings of that period tend to have fairly accurate/detailed names. She did speculate that it might be a painting made up especially for the show.

Sorry not to have been more help. I was intrigued by the suggestion that it might have been made just for the episode - that does sound very much the sort of the thing the props department might have done.

Anyway, if you or anyone else finds any more information, I'd be interested - and I'd pass that on to my friend as well.

WOW. Thanks for all the effort you and your friend put into it. I would try to show it to some people, but I don't have a digitized photo of it. There are some photos from "Luminary" on the Millennial Abyss, but none of them depict the picture. Maybe whoever put those up or owns one of the japanese dvds would be kind enough to capture it and post it?

• Elders (Moderators)

I'll see what I can do in terms of capturing the image. I've been meaning to find out how to do that and this is a pretty good reason to learn how to do this.

I'm not working tomorrow so this'll be a good excuse to ignore the housework.  :p