All That We See

Rate this topic

Guest Sixpence

Guest Sixpence

I watched "The Well Worn Lock" from Season One tonight, and I must say it hit home rather hard. I have had the DVD collection for months, but have avoided watching that particular episode. My wife was/IS a victim of childhood sexual abuse. Not by her father, but by her FATHER, as in Priest. It went on for several years, and also involved at least another of her siblings. There seemed to pervade ,even in this episode, the power that SOCIETY (and I use the word rather loosely) has in determining what the public will allow or even want to hear about. Then, of course, the matter of proof, and the dichotomy of power and love. It is such as vicious cycle. What is love? "Do you understand? Stop it".

One is The All

Sixpence :ouro:

I'm not a victim of this particular kind of abuse, but I have a close friend that was, and this episode is difficult for me to watch as well.

I think the time when shows like this DON'T disturb us is when we should really begin to worry.

• Elders (Admins)

I think this episode handles the difficult subject matter really well. 1013 should be congratualted for dealing with it sensibly and for getting the message across. Its a very painful episode to watch, not something I would ever dream of showing a victim of such abuse.

I think this episode handles the difficult subject matter really well. 1013 should be congratualted for dealing with it sensibly and for getting the message across. Its a very painful episode to watch, not something I would ever dream of showing a victim of such abuse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Someone quipped to me that it was only priest who abused children, and that you never heard of a rabbi molesting anyone. well, I did a google search and found there were about 130 cases.

When I was in college and i was just 18, I was told to not be alone with a certain professor, (Ironic that he was a Pedology professor) that he would take the girl students to the bar and tell them they were in danger of failing the course and if they wanted to pass they would have to have sex with him. well, I had been straight A's I knew I was getting an A for my internship and that was worth 50% of the grade and even if I failed all of the tests I should still have got a c.

I was coming from math class and he gets behind me and takes my elbow and askes what i was doing and I said, I had off 2 hrs and was going to go study, and he said, Oh, come have a drink with me, and I stopped dead in my tracks and said. "I am just 18 " and he said. "I will buy the drink for you..." And I pulled away and said "No, thank you. I don't think that is a good idea" and he backed off and said "Fine," and then walked away, and when I got out of that class I had a d on my reportcard.

I didn't drink when I was 18, or 21, or even now, Oh, I will have a glass of wine twice a year or so, but I don't drink. My ex fiance made the mistake of spiking my lime and tonic with vodka and while I was in the ladies room, and I taisted it and it was different, and I could see something heavy swirling in my drink and he admitted after I confronted him that he put it in, and - why? he said it was to loosen me up! and I said Dude, I am the designated driver and I am 20, How smart is that?

Only now did I realize what he meant by "loosen me up"

One of the articals that I came across was that 8% of the population were molesters.

At my last high school reunion, one of the guys was buying me drinks (funny because I still drink lime and tonics and thats what the bartender was giving me) and he starts chatting me up and wants to go out with me and I turn in my chair and say "Olivia! your husband wants to take me out on a date, what do you think??" and he was like OH SHES GONNA KILL ME WHY DID YOU DO THAT?

heh.

scary

Kath

Creeps come in all kinds of packages.

When I was in the hospital after my wreck, and had been moved to the re-hab floor, this guy Jim, (who'd I'd been dating for a year, but had told him we needed time apart, and I had met someone else, but after the wreck, Jim tried to get back in my good graces... oh, just read my blog...lol) brought this man to my room that was a "new friend". The other man was probably in his 40's, and was a "Christian". Jim was a right wing christian and had been trying to "save me". Oh brother. Anyway, he introduces me to this guy, who says he's there with his mother, who is dying. Yeah, a real sob-story. He "visits" me this way a couple of times, with Jim. NOW, I realize that it was to gain my trust, but I didn't then. One day, he showed up early, before Jim got there. I let him in (I was in a wheelchair at this time) and we talk for a while. He talked about how he'd prayed for me and how good it was to see his prayers answered, blablabla.... Then, asked me to try to stand up, so he could see how I was doing. I did, and after a minute, he hugged me. At 1st I thought, "no big deal"... people hug. so what?" But, quickly the hug became quite passionate, and he whispered to me that he'd seen me when they 1st brought me in (into ICU) and knew from that moment that he loved me. He started kissing me, and feeling me up. All I could think of to do was to *pretend* to be interested, (resisting just turns these kinds on) and say... "But I know what time it is, and Jim will be here any minute. You don't want him to find us like this, do you?" That got him to let me go, and when he left, I was so shaken all I could think of to do was to tell the nurse to not let that guy in here again, but I didn't say why. (I was 18)

Here's the sick part.... and is why this kind of thing goes on, is that no one wants to believe it's happening. Like in that episode.... No one wanted to accept the fact that such a "Pillar of the community" could be capable of something like that. For example, when I told Jim what his "goody 2 shoes Christian friend had done" all he could say was "You just think that every man in the world wants you, don't you?" in this accusatory manner.

Until someone begins to listen, things like this will keep going on.