Where the whole "Jose Chung" thing came from

Rate this topic

Guest Second Coming

Guest Second Coming

I picked up an X-files Truth about season 3 book for 75 cents in a used bookstore. I got it because S3 is my favorite and it includes Jose Chung's from outer space and Clyde Bruckman's..

Anyway I went straight to the section about Jose Chung because I just like that witty and quirky humor. I'll try to type it word for word later but here's essentially what it said - There was a guy on the X-files crew that would always sent ridiculous stories to the X-files office and would call and ask if his scripts were being considered. He used the name "Jose Chung" as the obsessive caller. This was before there was ever an episode by that name. Apparently all of the crew knew about this and it was a big inside joke. And the caller would call from the set every day and everyone would sit around laughing. So needless to say the guy they had been calling was shocked when he got a script across his desk from Darin Morgan entitled "Jose Chung's From Outer Space". :D

And I'm just guessing here, but I would say that the "From Outer Space" part comes from the ridiculously bad but funny movie entitled "Plan 9 From Outer Space." :p

Just a little tidbit for all the "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense"

fans.

• Elders (Moderators)

I love all this "behind the scenes" stuff. So often the writers wove in extra things that sometimes even ardent fans didn't see on first viewing. There was a TXF fan who collected up all the XF in-jokes - has anyone done that for MM? If not, should we attempt to do that here?

By the way, when I first saw this episode, I tried to figure out who the heck "Jose Chung" was. The only thing I could think of is that it was an anagram of "Chose Jung" - but couldn't quite figure out the connection. It was more than interesting to discover the real reason for the "writer's" name.  :laugh:

Guest Second Coming
I love all this "behind the scenes" stuff. So often the writers wove in extra things that sometimes even ardent fans didn't see on first viewing. There was a TXF fan who collected up all the XF in-jokes - has anyone done that for MM? If not, should we attempt to do that here?

By the way, when I first saw this episode, I tried to figure out who the heck "Jose Chung" was. The only thing I could think of is that it was an anagram of "Chose Jung" - but couldn't quite figure out the connection. It was more than interesting to discover the real reason for the "writer's" name.  :laugh:

Yeah, I thought that was pretty interesting. I always thought Jose Chung was an anagram of Carl Jung the psychiatrist/psychologist.

Oh and Carl Jung's full name is "Carl Gustav Jung". Remind anyone of "Goopta"?

• 2 years later...

Good writers always keep their ears open for tidbits and then magically write them into a script; usually with the most amazing results.. This was very common with Stargate. :clapping:

Of course the actor who delivers these tidbits deserves much of the credit for its sucess too!! CNR was incredible!! :jumping:

Edited by Walkabout