Ok Stephen King Fans

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Frank L.

I haven't read "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" yet, but I read the other two and loved them both. "The Talisman" is one of my favorite books. Steven Spielberg will produce the movie.

Guest lonegungrrly1121

ooh, does that mean that the talisman will be followed by it's sequel 'the black house' the black house is one of my fave Stephen King books of all time. roll on Dark Tower films... I can always dream... :bigsmile:

Guest Frank L.
ooh, does that mean that the talisman will be followed by it's sequel 'the black house' the black house is one of my fave Stephen King books of all time. roll on Dark Tower films... I can always dream...

Yeah, I loved Black House too. I once heard that The Talisman was primarily written by Stephen King and Black House by Peter Straub. What do you think?

Guest lonegungrrly1121
Yeah, I loved Black House too. I once heard that The Talisman was primarily written by Stephen King and Black House by Peter Straub. What do you think?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i would say most definately the other way around, because the black house had so many in jokes from stephen King's Dark Tower Series- all his books relate back to that in some way, so King's influence was definaely there. asside from these bokos i havent read any other book by peter straub so I can't comment on his style :bigsmile:

Guest Frank L.
i would say most definately the other way around, because the black house had so many in jokes from stephen King's Dark Tower Series- all his books relate back to that in some way, so King's influence was definaely there. asside from these bokos i havent read any other book by peter straub so I can't comment on his style

We could go on for a while with this, because I haven't read the Dark Tower series... :doh: ,but I have read a lot of Peter Straubs books. I really have to read

The Talisman and Black House again, but I can say that Straubs writing style is much more literary than Kings'. If you ever plan on reading some books by Straub, here are a few that I loved:

Houses Without Doors: Short stories, and a good place to start.

Magic Terror: More short stories. The first story isn't good IMHO. Rest is brilliant.

Mr. X: Great beginning, very complex middle part, brilliant ending.

Straubs trilogy: Koko, Mystery and Throat.

He now has some of his books in pre-production for a movie.  The Talisman......Bag of Bones....The Girl who loved Tom Gordon.  Dont know whos starring in these movies but we should see them hit the big screen in 06 or 07

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

movie rights to "the talisman" were bought by steven spielberg a couple of years after the book was orginally released, at the time, spielberg was quoted as saying he was going to wait until special effects and technology advanced a bit so as to be able to to keep up with the book, i dont know if youve read talisman, but the plot is very original, its a great book, it would just be difficult to put on the big screen, but if anyone can do it, spielberg would be able to, so im hoping it will be honest and stay to the book as much as possible, ive heard they are still debating whether to put it out as a tv miniseries or a 3 hr long motion picture, so that will be interesting, havent heard much from bag of bones, heard something about them filming on location near stephen kings hometown for authenticity purposes but that could be bogus, the girl who loved tom gordon, nothing, dont have a clue.

"Have I run too far to get home?"

i would say most definately the other way around, because the black house had so many in jokes from stephen King's Dark Tower Series- all his books  relate back to that in some  way, so King's influence was definaely there.  asside from these bokos i havent read any other book by peter straub so I can't comment on his style  :bigsmile:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ive tried to read a couple of other straub books but to be honest they are kind of bland, i think talisman and black house were his best works, but on his own he is just not that impressive

"Have I run too far to get home?"

Guest SouthernCelt

I've never read a Straub-only story so I can comment only from the perspective of King's style and themes. Both Talisman and Black House had so much connection to Dark Tower (but without requiring the reader to be that familiar with Dark Tower) that I have to think King devised the primary story sequences/plot and most of the characters. I also have to think Straub could have only contributed some style elements.

I'd be interested to see/hear commentary from both King and Straub on what their respective contributions were from their perspectives, especially if the commentary came from each independent of knowing what the other had or would say. If something goes to film on Talisman, maybe someone will do such interviews.

Guest Frank L.

I searched the internet and found this:

As with any collaboration, it's hard to say which parts of the book came from Straub, but the more self-consciously "literary" passages, like the cinematic opening cruise through the Wisconsin town of French Landing -- dime-store DeLillo -- seem like a good bet, as do the novel's occasional forays into overweening third-person narration. Nevertheless, the bulk of "Black House" feels like King: the preoccupations, the devices and even many of the motifs (which partake of the mythos he created for his "Dark Tower" series) are all his.

But I really have to read both books again.

But first I want to read Clive Barker's "Weaveworld". Has anybody read it?

:offtopic:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines