New Mythology In Season 3

Rate this topic

Guest ZeusFaber

Bad luck with that. This was one of the VERY few cases where the UK actually got the DVD boxsets first. Hope you enjoy S3 -- I would add that the second half is particularly strong.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer S2 so far. I bought S3 this morning. I have seen the first 4 episodes, and all have been excellent. I can't wait to finally discover what happens. Sadly, I already know what happens in the X-Files episode that "wrapped everything up". I watched that LONG ago before I even knew about the Millennium series.

säki

I prefer S2 so far.  I bought S3 this morning.  I have seen the first 4 episodes, and all have been excellent.  I can't wait to finally discover what happens.  Sadly, I already know what happens in the X-Files episode that "wrapped everything up".  I watched that LONG ago before I even knew about the Millennium series. 

säki

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to This Is Who We Are! :ouro:

You're in the same situation I was in. I was unable to see Millennium when it first aired, and so my first real taste of it was the X Files crossover. Oy! What I would have missed out on had I continued to believe that THAT was what the series was like!

There are good points and bad points to season 3....just like all of them, but it makes it no less tremendous an experience.

Guest Max Fenig

So I'm the only one who still thinks that Season Two was, as a whole, better than Season One?

The first half of Season One is the weakest run of the entire series, lengthwise. The first eight episodes of Season Three were pretty weak, and no huge gems like "The Wild & The Innocent", but I'd say both seasons kicked back with a vengeance. Season Two, on the other hand, was consistent the whole way through. Depends whether you liked M&W's vision or not. Obviously, I did.

Guest ZeusFaber

You're by no means the only one from what I can tell from reading this board, but I personally cannot agree that S2 was better than S1. Just the opposite in fact.

Like you say though, that's probably because I didn't care for how M&W chose to change the show.

A brief commentary regarding Season III as I have watched the first couple episodes through "Skull and Bones."

IMO, 13 years later falls into the same category of 'Jose Chung's' and 'Somehow Satan Got Behind Me.' When MM tries to throw a little 'comedy' in the mix is when it loses its potency. I did not like that episode at all, and thankfully it was followed up with Skull and Bones, which was well done. I think they made a huge wrong term making the MM group 'evil' but that is neither here nor there as Frank continues to carry the series with spectacular acting. In watching Skull and Bones, I could only imagine the fantastic episode that we would have had if Frank and Peter were allies.

Vv

Guest ZeusFaber

Interesting thoughts. I agree that "Thirteen Years Later" fits into the same category as Darin Morgan's S2 episodes, but IMO I think Michael R. Perry's attempt to emulate his style with this (and later "Omerta") was less successful.

Darin Morgan gets away with it because those are the kinds of episodes he was born to write. "Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense" is the most successful IMO, blending his unique style with the MM universe. It's the kind of thing that shouldn't work, but it does because it's DM. MRP's attempt at emulation just don't quite have that magic. However, this is by no means a shot at the writer, as I think he is one of the best to work on the MM staff, just that he is at his best with such episodes as "The Mikado" and "Nostalgia".

I would also argue that it was not S3 that made the MM Group 'bad' or 'evil'. The die was cast in that regard back with S2. And Peter Watts remains a shade of grey throughout, never evil and constantly torn between the two sides of his faith as you will see with the likes of "Collateral Damage" and "Goodbye to All That".

Guest fledgling666

i agree with a lot of what's been said here, and, as a matter of fact, if i were forced to say it, i am loosing my initial stance that season 2 was my favorite. it may just be because i am starting the season 3 DVD box set, but, so far, i think it is my new favorite, and what's even funnier is that i hated it when it aired.

here's my thoughts:

i agree with peter watts being torn between fantasy and reality, between trust in the group and faith in humanity. i think he thinks he's doing the right thing, most of the time, i think he is also tortured by what he's seen AND BY WHAT HE'S DONE (skull and bones).

i don't agree with the statement that the millennium group began it's darker presence in the second season. i believe it started in season 1. i think the group was always meant to go in this direction, but, perhaps, in a different way. if you recall, katherine was kidnapped in the final episode of season one by a man spouting off about the group, whom the group knew of and hadn't told frank about. they had already begun keeping secrets from their members. that is the first step.

however, season 2 developed some of the reasons why the group was changing, and that, i think is what some people are referring to as the "M&W" thing. they were faced with having to come up with reasons why this group had such a dark side. some of their reasons are questionable, even juvenile, but, nonetheless, repeated historical, factual information from previous events, both in the US and elsewhere. they were still as realistic as they could be, if you take an honest look at the world.

now, with season 3, i'd have to say, to many people's dismay, i'm sure, that no matter what the group did in season 2, NOTHING COMPARES TO THEIR EVIL IN SEASON 3. NOTHING. skull and bones - peter watts' speech at the end, says it ALL.

i'm just curious, anyone else see an age-old pattern emerging here? POWER CORRUPTS, ABSOLUTE POWER CORRUPTS ABSOLUTELY.

Guest ZeusFaber

I disagree with your idea that the darker side of the Millennium Group began in S1. As we know, Chris Carter based them on the Academy Group, who are anything but evil, and I do not believe he ever had any intension of making any sinister implication -- he has stated as much.

Furthermore, you suggest that "Paper Dove" stands as evidence in favour of this. Again, I disagree, since Catherine's kidnapper in that episode was not "spouting off about the Group" in any way really. This only occurred in S2's "The Beginning and the End", when M&W recast him and recharacterised him. This is the "first step" that you refer to, in "The Beginning and the End" and not "Paper Dove".

Finally, I would also disagree that the negative sides of the Group were more extreme in S3 than in S2. Their involvement with the Marburg Virus in "The Fourth Horseman"/"The Time is Now" is not really surpassable, even by the mass executions in "Skull and Bones".