New Mythology In Season 3

Rate this topic

Guest casshern

I have to agree with you on most of that. I don't dsilike season 2 but I think it lost it's direction in the final act. Losing the MLM group seemed like a bad idea now. I appreciate season 2 for trying to find meaning and reason through religion for what was happening in the world. I Liked what they were doing wtih good and evil but the conspiracy with the group and "cultlike" behavior is what I can look at now as the cause of it's problems.

Guest chrisnu

I'm gonna have to agree that despite liking S2 quite a bit, the conspiracy arc became too cryptic for its own good. You have the paranoia, distrust, and devastating losses for several characters, but there is very little explanation, very little payoff to the build-up. What I find interesting is that Carter's involvement with S2 of Millennium is the converse of his involvement with S4 of X-Files. While M&W were given free reign on Millennium, there ideas for Season 4, and the episodes they produced, were screened through Carter, and plenty of what they wanted to do with the characters did not get on the screen. M&W wanted a build-up of distrust and distance between the Mulder & Scully characters, and I think that's evident in all of the episodes they wrote for S4, other than the off-shoot "Musings of a Cigarette-Smoking Man", which taken as the rambling of The Lone Gunmen is an interesting character study, but when taken literally as they intended, is riddled with continuity errors. The distrust was going to culminate in Scully having Mulder committed at the end of the season. I find such developments to be entirely unrealistic for the characters, and evidently Carter did as well.

Guest A Stranger

When season three first started and even more so now, I feel less and less interested in MLM season two. I have to admit, although I loved season one, at the time I was getting bored with it in many respects. I was bored witht the crime stories and wondering why they were not expanding. There are too many year one episodes that feel like medicore Pilots. I was much more interested in watching X-Files season four (the best still in my opinion.) So that being said I was ready for a change, which I think is why there are so many die-hard year two fans, they were looking for that change too. And I did get caught up in the "Roosters/Owls" storyline and all the new characters. But Frank has little to do with the storylines and in retrospect, I have a hard time justifying how it can be a good MLM story if Frank is inconsequential to the plot.

Season two treats itself more like I'm watching a sci-fi show whereas in year one you told your friends it was a more of a cop show. Year two made itself more appealing to the sci-fi crowd. The mythology of the Group, the masonic type conspiracies are all interesting but they slowly took themselves further and further out reality and it beame more and more like science fiction. Sure, maybe people do see angels but that sounds more like X-Files. MLM season two is a lot like X-Files except instead of aliens and the Smoking Man there are demons and the Old Man...

Season three brought back more emotion to the stories that I didn't even realize were missing from most of season two. Jordan setting the table in "The Innocents" and the conversation between Frank and Tom over Catherine's death made me realize this. Those two scenes are more moving than the entire world ending in "The Time is Now," at least to me now. Season two made the characters into cartoons of what they could be for the most part. There is a fairytale like quailty to that year. There is the comedy, which I love but it isnt' balanced out by anything. The 'serious' episodes seem like cartoons as well.