MM DVDs Screen Format

Rate this topic

MM DVDs Screen Format  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest AngelCLittle

Honestly I'm totally for watching things in whatever aspect ratio they are meant to be seen in, rather it be Widescreen or 4:3. I can't stand Pan and Scan (or as I call it, Pan And SCAM). I don't even want to imagine watching something like, say, any of the Indiana Jones films in P&S after watching the original and TRUE Widescreen versions. I want to be able to see the ENTIRE film, not only half of it. Widescreen presents the entire film the way its meant to be see, and yes that includes the Alien trilogy to whomever said that the P&S edition is "better."

On the other side of the coin, I hate watching P&S Widescreen presentations. Go grab Pink Floyd's "Live At Pompeii" DVD if you want to see exactly what I mean. The disc offfers two different versions of the concert - the original concert footage in its original 4:3 and the (horrid) Directors Cut matted to 1.85:1 that contained many unneeded edits and alterations that director Adrian Maben felt was needed to be done. One fine example is during "Echos (Part 1)" we get a shot of Nick Mason drumming. On the 4:3 you can see him entirely in the shot, but on the matted 1.85:1 the matting cuts down to about his upper forehead making it very obvious its modified.

Anyways, I've said enough for now. I remember talking to someone in the know of production on MM that told me that the show was shot completely in WS with the knowledge of eventual use for Widescreen TV/HDTV use. I do hope that the boxsets will be in Widesceen, but if not then I won't freak out since its no real loss and I will be happy enough to have "Millennium" on DVD period.