Hurricane Katarina

Rate this topic

HighPlainsDrifter

Marshall Law was announced in New Orleans because of the looting, stealing, and fighting. At the Dome there are reports of people being raped. Been watching this stuff on TV and its sad. People looting and stealing electronical items, to me i would either see them steal food and clothes. Angry mobs, reminds me of a scene in War of the Worlds. Whats the deal with someone shooting at the helicopters coming to help out people? This is crazy

Guest blondton13

It is scary, isn't it Joe? I too, have been listening and watching the reports as gas prices skyrocket and New Orleans falls into bedlam. Not religious here, but the scene is almost reminescent of Sodom and Gemmorah (sp?). I just had sinus surgery on Tues, so I've been out of it for a few days...just long enough to have gas go up by 75 cents and for parts of the US devastated by Katrina to fall apart. I think I'd rather just go back to sleep for awhile on my pain meds and wake up to find it's all been a dream.

I hope everyone here at TIWWA is doing okay, and I wish all of you the best in this time of crisis.

I read on a British website that gas in parts of Europe has been about 6 dollars a gallon for awhile now anyway. Is that true, Old Man? Wow...gas prices are really going to put a dent in my already thin pocketbook.

Take care everyone! :grouphug:

Marshall Law was announced in New Orleans because of the looting, stealing, and fighting.  At the Dome there are reports of people being raped.  Been watching this stuff on TV and its sad.  People looting and stealing electronical items, to me i would either see them steal food and clothes. Angry mobs, reminds me of a scene in War of the Worlds.  Whats the deal with someone shooting at the helicopters coming to help out people?  This is crazy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

its almost surreal isnt it? it is truly catastrophic in its scope what is going on in louisiana, 3 guys i work with at the police dept got called up to active duty, 2 army and 1 marine corp reservist, all has about 4 hours notice to get packed up and leave, 1 was in the middle of the shift and got called in by supervisor to say he was to report to his staging area for immediate deployment, said they all 3 will be gone for at least 2 months to louisiana, almost as scary as sending them to Iraq or Afghanistan with all the looting and urban warfare going on, i wish them luck and a safe return, i hope the residents of new orleans will be strong and be able to get past this ordeal.

What strikes me most is the stark difference between the images of Katrina and what we saw after the tsunami in Asia. The devastation itself looks hardly any different, but how people react to it now in New Orleans and what has happened since saddens me. One should expect that in a highly industrialized country as the U.S. people knew how to behave, even - or especially in times of crises.

• Elders (Admins)

I was caught up in the 1990 Towyn Floods when the sea breached the defences and flooded our homes forcing us to live away for 3 months afterwards, the day in question was a huge adventure my family and I will never forget, something like scenes from a movie. It can't however compare in anway to what has happened with Katrina and its extremely upsetting to hear about people looting after such a devastating disaster.

I understand that the more wealthy residents had already left in their cars etc before the hurricane hit and therefore most of the victims were the poorer people who could not find a way out in time, I'm not sure if that's true.

Our thoughts are with those effected and those able to assist. Please remember that you can donate to this or any other appeal at the Red Cross Donations Page which also allows non-US residents to donate in US Dollars.

• Elders (Moderators)

I looked at that link. I think this is what happens when people who are so used to be in control, in the sense of being aware they have power, react when circumstances rob them of that power. The posturing and controlling go on, because they can't react any differently. They're running scared, but can't admit it even to themselves, all they can do is carry on "being in charge", "giving orders" and so on. There was one Fox news segment I saw where the reporter (somebody Shepherd who has a regular slot) was broadcasting from the freeway to a female police officer back at her base and pointing out that there were people on part of the freeway who had been there without supplies for a couple of days. He was asking the police officer what was being done for these people, and she had no reply, she said nothing. It seemed to me to typify what the situation was - here this police officer had a direct link to those people via that reporter, yet had no advice to pass on. As RavenWolf has said, this looks like the end of the world. And that's probably how it will happen.

I have been "Educating" myself with 2 CD sets by Caroline Myss, PhD.

They are "Energy Anatomy" and "Advanced Energy Anatomy".

There is much more material than I can cover in one post, but one point which I feel is important to note at this point is how she compares all of us, and society in general, to children. As there always....ALWAYS comes a time when a child must break away from it's parents, the same is true for us as an adult civilization, and our dependence on the "parents" of the society....the government, religion, the economy, everything.

At the risk of opening a "can of worms", I make this

statement.

(And this is not the beginning of a debate on the subject, as we all know that everyone has their own opinion, and I do not wish this to deteriorate into an argument.)

In light of what I have been learning in the past few weeks, I see this terrible disaster as our opportunity to see that we Can NOT depend on our government to protect us. We are no longer children. We are adults, and should act accordingly.

It is encouraging to see that many people have already made this shift, and are "stepping up to the plate", and taking matters into their own hands. They realize they have been betrayed by the parent that is our government, but instead of sitting on the sidelines and crying about it, they are opening their homes to strangers, getting out there themselves to help people, and in general, showing us all what is good---and decent about the human race. (& making bush look like the incompetent fool that he is)

This is only my opinion. So I hope I have offended no one by expressing it. If I have, I offer my humble apologies.

That is all I have to say.

Remember folks that all you hear is not necessarily the full truth.  The uglier side

of "law and order" are also represented in the city.  Here is an eye witness account

taken from someone else's live journal.  It certainly got my frustration levels up!

https://www.livejournal.com/users/manoman/1...html?style=mine

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

perhaps if they had listened to the mandatory evacuation notice and left before the storm they would not have been in that predicament in the first place, blame what you want on law enforecement but i dont see anyone else offering to take up arms and stop looting and gangs from stealing anything left of value in new orleans. someone has to keep order and try to make things better, want to volunteer?