Favorite X-files Episodes

Rate this topic

Guest Frank L.

What are your favorite X-Files episodes: Standalone or Mythology?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest SouthernCelt

One of my favorite eps from early XF that was, to me, disturbing was "Eve". I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned that one in any of these threads.

Another favorite was titled, if my memory is holding, "Beyond the Sea", when Scully was dealing with the death row inmate that claimed to communicate with the dead, including her recently deceased father.

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
One of my favorite eps from early XF that was, to me, disturbing was "Eve". I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned that one in any of these threads.

Another favorite was titled, if my memory is holding, "Beyond the Sea", when Scully was dealing with the death row inmate that claimed to communicate with the dead, including her recently deceased father.

I forget what Eve was about, but "Beyond the Sea" was outstanding, as was Brad Dourif in the episode. Everyone probably knows this, but he also played Denis Hoffman in "Force Majeure" on Millennium. He is a great character actor whose performances I have enjoyed on many occasions. Boy do I miss tuning into a new X-files episode week after week. Beyond The Sea is a great episode from when X-files was just getting started.

I forget what Eve was about, but "Beyond the Sea" was outstanding, as was Brad Dourif in the episode. Everyone probably knows this, but he also played Denis Hoffman in "Force Majeure" on Millennium. He is a great character actor whose performances I have enjoyed on many occasions. Boy do I miss tuning into a new X-files episode week after week. Beyond The Sea is a great episode from when X-files was just getting started.
Well...so far, (and i am currently in the middle of watching S8), i have two heads above the rest favorites...

1. All Souls...

2. Calusari....

of these two, All Souls by a comfortable margin.....

4th Horseman...

Guest Sophie

Although the standalone epis have lots of my faves (like Beyond the sea, darkness falls, irresistible, pusher, grotestque, CB'sfinal repose, paper hearts, JC's from outter space....), I chose the mythology, because it was really the fire of the action, and bringing us to the heart of things, at least in the first 4 seasons. 3 of my fave mytharcs of every series are "Duare Barry/Ascension/Coma", "Anazazi/The blessing way/Paper clip" and "Tempus Fugit/Max".

Edited by Sophie

Guest Doll

I liked Beyond the Sea a great deal, too.

Guest betweenthelines

My favorite episodes are both stand-alones and mythology. I enjoy the mythology from seasons 1-7. The whole supersoldier storyline was peculiar and not as intriguing as the previous conspiracy-related stories.

The mythology episodes I enjoyed the most were 'Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip'. Suspenseful, well-written, and with some great performances from both Gillian and David!

A related question: what did everyone think of the more light-hearted episodes ('Small Potatoes', 'Bad Blood', 'Dreamland/Dreamland II', etc.)? Were they just as good as the dramatic/spooky ones or did TPTB fail at being funny?

Guest MillenniumIsBliss
My favorite episodes are both stand-alones and mythology. I enjoy the mythology from seasons 1-7. The whole supersoldier storyline was peculiar and not as intriguing as the previous conspiracy-related stories.

The mythology episodes I enjoyed the most were 'Anasazi/The Blessing Way/Paper Clip'. Suspenseful, well-written, and with some great performances from both Gillian and David!

A related question: what did everyone think of the more light-hearted episodes ('Small Potatoes', 'Bad Blood', 'Dreamland/Dreamland II', etc.)? Were they just as good as the dramatic/spooky ones or did TPTB fail at being funny?

Although the stand alones still stand out as my favorites, there was also, IMO, some great mythology, and none better than the in the episodes you mention. Not to beat a dead horse, and I have mentioned this several times, but no, I didn't particularly care for the supersoldiers either. However, some people here have made a good argument in favor of them, and I guess I probably didn't mind them too much the first time around. The good thing about X-files was that it had something for everyone and for all tastes, so if you didn't like one aspect of the show, something was bound to come around before long that tickled your fancy. For example, the light hearted episodes. For me, the light episodes were hit or miss, but there were far more hits than misses, and I enjoyed all of the ones you mentioned to varying degrees. I guess these episodes called on ones ability to suspend disbelief, but the ones you mention, in addition to "Jose Chung", "Clyde Bruckman" "Je Sousaite and "Syzygy" (to name a few) were, to me, a welcome and natural progression of the show, as long as we got them in small doses and spread out evenly, and I think we did. There were also a small number that didn't quite work for me like, for example, the Ghosts of Christmas, Rain King, and the Unnatural, but I'm sure many people here would say they loved these episodes just as much as I loved the others I mentioned. Like I said, there was something for everyone, and I think that is what brought it to the level of greatness that it achieved.

Guest betweenthelines
there were also a small number that didn't quite work for me like, for example, the Ghosts of Christmas, Rain King, and the Unnatural, but I'm sure many people here would say they loved these episodes just as much as I loved the others I mentioned. Like I said, there was something for everyone, and I think that is what brought it to the level of greatness that it achieved.

Yeah, 'How The Ghosts Stole Christmas' isn't exactly a favorite of mine. It's not awful or anything, just kinda dull. I love the teaser, though; best moment of the episode in my opinion. I didn't really mind 'The Rain King' all that much. It is light and frothy and probably not something I'd show to non-fans right away, but I like the music score and quirky characters.

I think one of the problems with Season Six were the amount of comedic episodes. There were (I think) six of them that year, which is a bit much for a horror drama. But better to have a few good comedy episodes than several poor dramatic ones...