"roosters" On Dvd

Rate this topic

Guest OfRedEarth

Guest OfRedEarth

Hi, all. This is my first post. Anyway, I had a question:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't there supposed to be opera music playing while the Old Man is stabbed to death? On my DVD copy, there's no music at all. Just wondering . . .

Guest GuruAskew

Looks like you're onto something. I never saw any of the "Millennium" episodes when they aired (I was introduced to them on DVD) so I never noticed this, but I did find the following quote on the internet:

the episode "Roosters" brought us the violent death of the Old Man to the tune of Wagner's prelude to "Parsifal" in a truly stunning sequence. 

I went back and checked my DVD and sure enough, there is a decidedly noticeable lack of music when the Old Man is murdered, there isn't any Mark Snow score or the Wagner music that should be there. Music removal or replacement is not uncommon when TV shows are released on DVD but it's usually for legal reasons. Wagner's music is not only in the public domain (meaning it's free for anyone to use) it's also featured earlier in the episode on that very DVD. This looks like a mistake Fox made. Hopefully they'll offer replacements when this is brought to their attention. I'm gonna post this on some DVD forums and I'll report back here if I find an e-mail address or phone number we can call in hopes of getting Fox to issue a corrected version.

Hi, all. This is my first post. Anyway, I had a question:

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but isn't there supposed to be opera music playing while the Old Man is stabbed to death? On my DVD copy, there's no music at all. Just wondering . . .

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest GuruAskew

A poster at Home Theater Forum named TravisR dug out his tape of the original airing and confirmed that there was no music as the Old Man is stabbed on the original airing. The DVD presents the scene exactly as aired.

Looks like you're onto something.  I never saw any of the "Millennium" episodes when they aired (I was introduced to them on DVD) so I never noticed this, but I did find the following quote on the internet:

I went back and checked my DVD and sure enough, there is a decidedly noticeable lack of music when the Old Man is murdered, there isn't any Mark Snow score or the Wagner music that should be there.  Music removal or replacement is not uncommon when TV shows are released on DVD but it's usually for legal reasons.  Wagner's music is not only in the public domain (meaning it's free for anyone to use) it's also featured earlier in the episode on that very DVD.  This looks like a mistake Fox made.  Hopefully they'll offer replacements when this is brought to their attention.  I'm gonna post this on some DVD forums and I'll report back here if I find an e-mail address or phone number we can call in hopes of getting Fox to issue a corrected version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

• 1 month later...