Seven And One - Why So Many Mistakes?

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

Guest ZeusFaber
What I mean is that that if Frank sees Mabius and think's it Cuffle, then why didn't he notice earlier like in "Skull and Bones" and "Bardo Thodo?" The actor was used way too many times in the season, not to mention "Gehenna" to just make him another character, not to mention he is credited as Mabius for "Seven."

I dont think anyone's trying to suggest that Mabius was Ed Cuffle in disguise all along. It's more metaphorical than that.

Mabius is an individual person, yes. But when we see Boxer 'morph' into his face in "Seven and One", it is merely suggestive of the wider ranging forces of evil, that Evil itself has many faces. Hence "Legion, for we are many".

The idea is not that Ed Cuffle has been walking around all season disguised as Mabius via a novelty moustache and glasses. The idea is that the greater entity that is Evil can be seen as many things, that the face is not important but the demonic power underneath.

And it just seems that enough stories have been done surrounding Frank's family to not be able to keep making up members. It seemed like by "MOTC" it had been officially mapped out.[

I may be wrong on this, but I don't believe there was ever a show Bible where all Frank's family members are explicitally stated. Therefore, it is constantly up for grabs. I don't see any reason why we should draw a line under maximum family members by "Midnight of the Century". Why draw the line there? As far as I'm concerned, unless it is specifically stated that other family members do not exist, it's fair game and not a continuity flaw.

And I just assumed, for obvious reasons Frank had parents before they were mentioned. :rofl:

Precisely. From the character's point of view, he has known these people all his life, so would have no need to casually mention them in conversation all the time just to establish it within the show's continuity. Can you imagine if Frank had to keep reminding us, "by the way I have another brother"? The reason it was never mentioned before is because it was never important before. I don't see the logic that just because any given character has not been discussed on screen, they don't exist.

I like the point you're making, Max. But, on the other hand, if Mabius really DID shapeshift, couldn't that be proving to us that the Millennium Group became corrupted by the very forces they were fighting?

I like all these different ideas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is one kicka** thread...just like the good ol'days..this is addressed to Max or Zeus or anyone who can answer these two pressing question i have..

1. who or what killed the pyschiatrist? we know that she turns around and sees Agent Boxer, but as he advances on her, and just before she dies, he changes into, well some form of evil lets say..the question remains, why? give me a reason!! Could it be that it wanted to show her, in her last moments that Frank was right all along, that there were manifestations of evil?

2. Just what was the purpose of Hollis's double and why did it commit its pseudo suicide. Was it too a manifestation as well? dont have any more time, hopefully one or more of you can explain this...

Guest ZeusFaber

Well, if you want the dramatic reason for the killer showing its true self to the psychiatrist before it kills her, that would be to give a revelation to the audience. Of course, I'm sure that's not the answer you're looking for!

For a plot explanation, you could say that it represents the psychiatrist seeing the Evil for what it really is, or else the thing you mentioned about it wanting to show her. Or, as the proverb from "Lamentation" tells us, "each man before he dies shall see the Devil".

As for the purpose of Emma's double, that's the one thing that still remains slightl out of my reach. I think it was certainly another manifestation of Evil, but what the suicide thing meant is a little unclear to me.

I imagine it has something to do with what the priest tells Emma, to let her faith equal Frank's fear in order to defeat Evil, but how exactly it works is slightly out of my grasp at the moment.

Time for someone else to step in...

Guest OfRedEarth

The morphing thing I thought had to do with the evil wanting to show itself to the psychiatrist, to show her that science and logic can't explain evil away and that Frank is not crazy. The idea that evil can't just be reduced to scientific facts is one of the main ideas behind the show, so it kind of fits.

Emma's doppelganger is stranger, but I think it serves a similar purpose. She's shaken because she's seen something she can't explain, and she understands Frank better after this.

That's what I got from it, anyway.

Why couldn't it be Lucy morphing all along?

Hollis killing herself is a suggestion of suicide, which is the end goal of all demons.  One key to MLLM is that Frank continues to resist giving in to Lucy or evil.  Why couldn't it be Lucy starting in on Hollis now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

another little quirk...When Frank tells Emma that he is on his way to the church, she inexplicably goes after someone who apparently looked like Frank in the cemetary, yet she had to have known that he had not arrived yet because only her car was parked in front of the church...

also, whatever pushed her into the open casket, whether it be Mabius or whomever, why not kill her where she stood, why take a chance on someone hearing her, as evidenced by the priest telling Frank that he heard screams, which of course leads Frank to "see" her buried. Whatever it was, knowing Frank as it did, would most certainly known that he would find her..

lastly, why didnt Emma use her cell phone when she was buried. She most certainly had to have had it, because she had just finished talking to Frank a few minutes before...

The Fourth Horseman

Guest lonegungrrly1121
another little quirk...When Frank tells Emma that he is on his way to the church,  she inexplicably goes after someone who apparently looked like Frank in the cemetary, yet she had to have known that he had not arrived yet because only her car was parked in front of the church...

also, whatever pushed her into the open casket, whether it be Mabius or whomever, why not kill her where she stood, why take a chance on someone hearing her, as evidenced by the priest telling Frank that he heard screams, which of course leads Frank to "see" her buried. Whatever it was, knowing Frank as it did, would most certainly known that he would find her..

lastly, why didnt Emma use her cell phone when she was buried. She most certainly had to have had it, because she had just finished talking to Frank a few minutes before...

The Fourth Horseman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Frank was behaving wierd throughout this episode, so from Hollis' POv it could very well have been frank out there in the cemetary...

I thought she got buried alive primarily to make Frank look more guilty because

-whoever- knew that he would find her. also, it appears that she panicked like hell and passed out, so she wasn't thinking clearly enough to think about her phone. maybe being buried alive was her worst fear, just like being drowned was Frank's...

Frank was behaving wierd throughout this episode, so from Hollis' POv it could very well have been frank out there in the cemetary...

I thought she got buried alive primarily to make Frank look more guilty because

-whoever- knew that he would find her.  also, it appears that she panicked like hell and passed out, so she wasn't thinking clearly enough to think about her phone. maybe being buried alive was her worst fear, just like being drowned was Frank's...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yeah, i was just throwing it out there for conversational fodder...a little lighter point of view.

post-1098-1126884602_thumb.jpg

Guest ZeusFaber
another little quirk...When Frank tells Emma that he is on his way to the church,  she inexplicably goes after someone who apparently looked like Frank in the cemetary, yet she had to have known that he had not arrived yet because only her car was parked in front of the church...

Another case of Evil taking on a different form to confuse the mind. As an everyday person, Emma would naturally believe her eyes, as I think most of us would, and would go to investigate the source of her confusion.

Indeed, I think that was part of the point, for Frank to find her and thus be driven a little closer to insanity. Also, as others have pointed out, to make him look guilty.

Terrible signal in a shallow grave.