...6 Years Later: Season Three In Review

Rate this topic

Guest A Stranger

The brilliance of this episode lies not necessarily in its presentation of the relationships between Emma and Baldwin and Frank, but rather in the dynamic presentation of Cass which opens the window into so much of what Milliennium was about. Forget the consipracy aspect (even though it wasn't a conspiracy in the end). The presentation of Cass's pathology and its relevance to understand order in chaos are all hinted at. In this episode, there is clear reference to dynamical systems [chaos] elements with reference to the Butterfly effect. I think the writers and producers, including Carter himself, must have had some general understanding of this rather complex theory, because it is hinted at indirectly in many episodes. In essence, I think what Millennium as a show was trying to do was hint at the fact that even seemingly chaotic, nonlinear, seemingly unrelated events can be shown to have lawful order (recall Emma's father's oragami in the form of kalidescope fractals (fractals are one result of dynamical systmes and iterations). You also have attachment struggle deep rooted in the pathology that Cass carries with her...at some level, abandonment and disruption of the implicit protective function of the biological parent(s) carries non-linear consequences to some degree. I am still in the process of collecting my thoughts on this episode, but these are some that will be the fulcrum on which a further larger thread are built. Not to mention that the presentation of Cass' pathology, which can indeed be conceptualized as a deep personality distrubance--in the form of disorganized mental representations of others and unresolved trauma (fear without solution) is portrayed very well with narcissistic components that serve to reinforce the identity of a deeply framgented and fractured self...In a sense, Cass represents what Frank could become if he lets go of his defensive mechanisms of aloneness and emotional bluntness, perhaps not necessarily in all behavioral patterns (e.g., violent homicide and fetish) but rather in the compensatory mechanism of enmeshment and fear of abandonment.

post-1148-1131756465_thumb.jpg

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

The idea of Cass making up elaborate schemes to avoid the simplicity of the truth of what really happened to her (i.e her father abused her) is acceptable but the presentation just doesn't work for me. It is hardly an original tale and Frank (a trained FBI agent of many years) along with the others should know that the first rule when dealing with mentally disturbed patients/criminals is not to buy into their psychosis. Of all the agents, only Baldwin seems to realise this. Why then is no credit given to Barry for this approach? Why is he still allowed to be villfied in this manner despite taking the appropriate approach?

It is this and the generally poor characterisation of Frank (his unusual lack of ability to grasp the facts, his casual crudeness) that ruin this episode for me. We have at this point in the Season passed by the phase where Frank had been becoming colder to people after the events of 'Borrowed Time' through to 'The Sound of Snow'. Also, as of 'Forcing the End', we know that Frank is not simply knee-jerking to find Millennium Group (or any other) conspiracies where there are none. He is moving on with his life and is still able to determine fact from fiction. This episode takes a giant step backwards on this characterisation.

It is hardly an original tale and Frank (a trained FBI agent of many years) along with the others should know that the first rule when dealing with mentally disturbed patients/criminals is not to buy into their psychosis. Of all the agents, only Baldwin seems to realise this. Why then is no credit given to Barry for this approach? Why is he still allowed to be villfied in this manner despite taking the appropriate approach?

Modern Day; I think the fact that Frank steps back (initially) and considers alternate possibilities than her psychosis is very in line with his character throughout all 3 seasons; Frank always takes time to ponder alternates and possibilities, even if on the face of it, they are untenable. In this case, his step back originally may reflect his underlying compassion for the evil he tracks and connects with much like he turned out the lights at the end of The Thin White Line. Frank I think has a subthreshold underlying compassion for those who evil has penetrated. This may represent his character as seeing evil as dynamic in the sense that, yes, it will permeate the earth, but that WHO it permits is dependent on a dynamic interplay between initial starting conditions and subsequent dynamic interactions (i.e., environmental events). I dont' see this as a flaw as much as you here, although the point is well taken.

It is this and the generally poor characterisation of Frank (his unusual lack of ability to grasp the facts, his casual crudeness) that ruin this episode for me. We have at this point in the Season passed by the phase where Frank had been becoming colder to people after the events of 'Borrowed Time' through to 'The Sound of Snow'. Also, as of 'Forcing the End', we know that Frank is not simply knee-jerking to find Millennium Group (or any other) conspiracies where there are none. He is moving on with his life and is still able to determine fact from fiction. This episode takes a giant step backwards on this characterisation.

This is an interesting point Modern. I think you are astute in your assertion that Frank demonstrates a more casual crudeness, and I do agree on this--as a matter of fact, it has made me reflect greatly on one other element I might mention here. In Saturn Dreaming of Mercury, Frank lets Jordan ride outside, in the dark, alone when he goes in to answer the phone (or make a call I can't remember). This is TOTALLY out of personality for Frank as portrayed in prior episodes. Thus, we have a major linear gap in personality presentation which needs to be tightened. Character development must be linear and lawful and in this case it wasn't. I concur with you on the above point, but may suggest that after so many cases and so many dead bodies etc. etc. that Frank was simply demonstrating sensitization and trying to inject humor where it otherwise wouldn't be. However, as you point out, I am not sure if it fits at this exact point. That said, it is a bit more explainable than him letting Jordan ride the bike outside, by herself, in the dark.

V-

Guest A Stranger

I don't think Frank's insistence to understand Cass by reading the walls means that he is buying into her delusion, he clearly states that it is an intent to understand what she thinks she is doing. He does not encourage Emma when she begins buying into Cass' theory. The walls are important because they show us a part of her pychosis, Frank never suggests that they should believe them.

Modern Day Moriarty, you are right about Baldwin and he doesn't get his credit here becuase he is the one who thinks Cass is going back to get her dad's head. Which she does do.

Modern Day Moriarty, you are right about Baldwin and he doesn't get his credit here becuase he is the one who thinks Cass is going back to get her dad's head. Which she does do.

Nonetheless, I am unsure why Baldwin was added in the third season....I grew to like Roedecker of sorts (even though I thought he was a useless add) but Baldwin is just a meddlesome goof and the show would have been a lot better without him; although I guess you do need that meddling co-worker who thinks he is always right and tries to show up the female protagonist.

V

Guest A Stranger
Nonetheless, I am unsure why Baldwin was added in the third season....I grew to like Roedecker of sorts (even though I thought he was a useless add) but Baldwin is just a meddlesome goof and the show would have been a lot better without him; although I guess you do need that meddling co-worker who thinks he is always right and tries to show up the female protagonist.

V

I think Baldwin was originally brought in to represent a kind of mentality that Frank is working against in the FBI, and in a broader view, the world. Henriksen had a good grasp of why Frank doens't like working with him, which he makes clear on the DVD commentary. He's stated by McClaren to be "more ambition than instinct," which is in a sense the complete opposite of Frank. Baldwin is not motivated by the desire to help people but by his desire to compete. Not that he does't care about the people, but it's coming from a different place and it hinders him.

His difficutlty with Frank is that Frank seems to know so much more than Baldwin could ever learn, Frank works off of instinct. Baldwin hates this idea because he feels entitled to being an expert becuase he think's he as has worked so hard. He's obviously done very well in the FBI as he is set to take over as A.D. He does eventually start to come around in "Via Dolorosa" when we see him secretly trying to "get in the guy's head' by sitting int he dark; and we can see he wants Frank's respect when Frank compliments him.

I don't think Baldwin was useless at all. I think the casting was perfect and though not one of my favorite characters, I think he added a great dimension to the show. McClaren on the other hand has to be one of my leas favorite MLM characters. He started out interesting, kind of like a Bletcher, old time friend of Frank's but just became the cliche boss yelling at Frank for his renegade ways.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Baldwin and Frank are the two opposite ends of the spectrum reaching out for each other. Frank is someone who cares too much, he gets too involved and takes his work home with him (and how!) As a result he is more dedicated to finding out the absolute truth of a situation, making sure that justice is done. But as stated he cares too much; he needs release from this kind of thinking because it is hurting him. He comes to understand, accept and adapt to this as Season Three progresses.

Barry Baldwin is someone who is just doing his job. By following leads and using tried and true investigative method, he hopes to go far in the FBI. His downfall is that he sees the crimes but he doesn't see the people. He doesn't get a feel for why people are commiting the crimes as well as Frank; he accepts the outcomes that the evidence appears to support without considering if that scenario is likely or if anything else is possible. He is a 'by the book' kind of guy.

But is that so wrong? As Ardis points out in 'Kingdom Come' police etc are taught to keep a distance from their work. It helps them to objectify and is basically just a crutch that is necessary to avoid falling into the trap Frank has of letting your work take over your life. What can Millennium's themes be seen as if not the dangers of this very thing? Classifying Barry as a meddlesome goon is extremely unfair. He believes in the validity of the methods employed by the FBI and believes in getting results (look at the long hours he is pulling in 'TEOTWAWKi, Darwin's Eye and Via Dolorosa).

Barry acts tough but he is very insecure. He looks to his career to find meaning in his life; he uses his advancement as a measure of his own worth. He is desperate to suceed in the eyes of his betters, so much that he is often rude and cold to those who get in the way of this (Emma, Frank). This is not down to a malicious nature however in my opinion. He is very nervous on his assignment in 'The Innocents' for instance, he is extremely embarassed when Frank catches him practising profiling techniques in 'Via Dolorosa', he is almost overcome with elation when Frank compliments his work.

I always saw Barry and Emma as promising young agents. I was perplexed then at the mention of both of them being in line for the job of A.D in 'Goodbye to All That'. Baldwin is someone who it is implied, had the capacity to be a very good, very useful agent. If he had just received encouragement from Frank, maybe things would have been different. He shows in 'Via Dolorosa' that he isn't as against the idea of profiling as he has made out and that he probably respects Frank's abilties so much that he wants to emulate them. Tell Barry who the Millennium Group really are and what they do and what side do you think he would fight for? I would say he'd be with Frank all the way. Frank is just realising as of 'Darwin's Eye' and 'Via Dolorosa' that Barry actually has a good head on his shoulders and isn't the insensitive fool he thought he was. Baldwin had problems but they could have been resolved.

He is actually one of my favourite characters (but then I'd like Peter Outerbridge if he was reading out the phone book!) and I'm disapointed that more was not done with his character (as are Lance Henriksen and Klea Scott on the commentaries incidentally).