Didja Know About This Post-mm Role For Kristen Cloke?

Guest SouthernCelt

Guest SouthernCelt

Discovered this bit of information after looking up some trivia on IMDb today. I was looking up something on Michael Crichton's story that was made into the movie "The 13th Warrior." (His book was called Eaters of the Dead.)

For anyone not familiar with the story, the "Wendols" are the primitive, cave-dwelling, cannabilistic tribe that invades the Vikings' territory and begins raiding the villages.

One trivia item says:

In accordance with the book, John McTiernan's version of the Wendol's mother was an old woman, which was filmed with veteran actress Susan Willis. When Michael Crichton took over and did the reshoots, it was decided that brutally killing off an old lady did not reflect very well on the heroes. Crichton decided after the fact to make her younger, sleeker and tougher. In the final released film, Wendol's mother is played by actress Kristen Cloke (uncredited), but the final credits still list Susan Willis as the Wendol's mother (although she is nowhere to be seen in the final cut).
I rewatched the scene of the Wendols' mother's death again tonight in slo-mo and it's not very obvious who is playing the role. There's only one time, maybe a half second duration, where the actress' face is illuminated well enough to be seen clearly. With the dental prosthesis used to give the mouth a ferocious, sharpened-teeth look and the tribal body paint that was worn on the face, a clear identification of the actress is impossible but the shape of the face (other than the mouth) fits Kristen's.

I presume I'll have to trust the published trivia, but it puzzles me why Kristen would take such a limited role. I wouldn't think she needed the money.

Is there anybody else out there that was aware of this?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elders (Admins)

Not seen this film but thanks for sharing!

• Thank you for not contributing to the spread of fake or inaccurate content, speculation or false information especially in relation to current worldwide health events.
  • Need help? For technical related issues, please use our Support Forum.
  • To report spam or inappropriate content, please use the Report option which flags all community Elders and autohides the content if multiple reports are received before site staff can respond directly.

This movie had a fair number of reshoots because the author didn't like the original cut made by the director.

"Don't tug on that, you never know what it might be attached to. "- Buckaroo Banzai

"There are no answers- only choices."

i had heard (maybe from IMDB itself, i can't remember) that KC was in The Thirteenth Warrior, and i taped it off the sci fi chanel one day. when i went to watch it i found i had cut off maybe the first two minutes, and thought i might had missed her character, as the warriors are all male. when it came to the woman i fought with myself as to whether it was KC or not, and decided it had to be. i don't remember noticing so much facial similarity but i do remember being unsure about the nose.

-nothing

believes...

this is who we are

we can't just sit back and hope for a happy ending

i couldn't swear it wasn't just an incredibly realistic simulation. not just the scenery, my whole life.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines