Any Art Fans Out There?

Rate this topic

Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky,

it slips away, and all your money, wont another minute buy..

To all....at the beginning of Midnight of the Century, when Peter is talking to Laura and Frank in his den, there is a tryptich painting in the background hanging directly over Peters shoulder. Not the one over the fireplace, but behind him when he is talking about the "branches on a tree"....anyone know the name of the artist or the painting...its religious in nature, so that would limit it to, oh about 100 or so artists, LOL...any help would be appreciated....

The Fourth Horseman...

Guest Frank L.

Screenshot020.jpg

Is this the one, or is it the one you just can't see on chrisnu's screencaptures? :rofl:

Nevertheless, you did a great job, chrisnu!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Elders (Moderators)

Fourth, just how huge is your tv screen exactly? I mean, how could anyone see clearly enough what's in that triptych? Anyway, I thought your question was really interesting, and when I did some browsing on the net I found this excellent site called Web Gallery of Art, https://www.wga.hu

Searching there I found a possible answer to your question but I'm not at all sure that this is the right one. The painting could be the Merode Altarpiece by Master of Flemalle, painted in 1427. The original is in the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Now, an answer to the question you specifically did not ask; the paintings over the fireplace. The nativity scene there seems to be painted by Lorenzo Lotto in 1523, and the original one is in your National Gallery of Art, Washington.

The smaller ones above the fireplace could be two illuminations of a book called Les tres riches heures du Duc de Berry by the Limbourg Brothers.

There's a great search engine on that site I mentioned, so see for yourself and tell me what you think.

Call me obsessed, but I love focusing on the details of the set every now and then. IMO, it's harmless fun!

Love,

dbsd

• Thanks 1

• Elders (Moderators)

Dear 4H or anyone else who might be interested in this particular detail or art in general.. Could you give me a comment on this triptych issue, please, if you have had the time to take a look at it?

I still think that a copy of the Merode Altarpiece could be the one used in the set of this scene, because the theme of the altarpiece is the Annunciation which goes well with the theme of the episode :angel2: , and it really looks a lot like the picture on Peter's wall.

I'd be very glad to hear your opinion, regardless if you agree with me or not.

Or am I totally alone in the universe? :cry:

• 12 years later...

Hi

first thank you for identifying the pictures here

https://millennium-thisiswhoweare.net/guide/episodes/articles/211/23/anticipating-a-change-examining-peter-watts-collection-of-artwork/

There is a second page from the Book of Hours hanging over the fire which is obscured by a vase. I am pretty sure that that page hanging there is April https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Les_Très_Riches_Heures_du_duc_de_Berry_avril.jpg

As you can see the building vaguely on the right and in one shot vaguely the man in the blue garment.

The choice of April could be interpreted in a way as there are theories out there that Jesus was born in April and Peter is stating that the day Jesus was born is unknown.

From the Article:

Then Peter stands in front of the fireplace for a while, and he probably gazes at Nativity when he says "Imagine that: Christ wasn't even born on this day, maybe not even 1,997 years ago. So no one knows for sure when the millennium really begins and ends. Or how much time is left."

A possibility is that Peter is gazing on both pictures - the Nativity painting  and on the April Calendar painting.

Was anyone able to identify so far the yellow (wheat?) field painting:

_thb_Screenshot017.jpg

And the painting when Frank is entering Peter's study room?

Thanks

Edited by Merowig
  • Like 2

Merowig, I am thrilled that someone is interested in the art of MLM.  It's been a long time since we've had a discussion on the topic, so thank you for your post.  I am no expert, but I do appreciate art.

I looked for the yellow wheat picture and couldn't find it.  I'm thinking it might have been drawn by a cast or crew member. 

5a00bbdac00e2__thb_Screenshot020cropped.jpg.a51f4102a61f9fd640b24b7e9417a32e.jpg

I cropped it in hopes that maybe Google could find it once I post it.

Edit ~ I would have to crop just the picture and leave out the frame.  All Google did was search for frames.  Oh well.

Edited by Earthnut
  • Like 1

Thanks - Millennium was one of my favorite series during my time as a teenager. 

I tried to search the picture via TinEye as well but  no result showed up - possibly as well because of the quality and the angle in the end.

Many paintings are without a copyright - so I am not sure of its origin.

Tried as well to find below picture at the entry of Peters study room - but also with no results.

Pic Millennium.JPG

Edited by Merowig
  • Like 1