Blood Relatives

Rate this topic

• Elders (Moderators)

Watched Blood Relatives yesterday (what a heartbreaking episode that is :j_sad: ) and caught something that might be of some interest to you, if you haven't noticed this before.

It's the scene where the young man James is reading death notices in a newspaper (scene 5 on DVD). One of the names there is Kim Regent.

According to the end credits, the property master for that episode was Kimberley Regent.

Btw, I should've been working instead of posting here now, but I just had to get my first ouro! :fool:

• Elders (Moderators)
DBSD - hey!!! I'm the one who is supposed to find these things :nahah:

Oops! :doh: I'm sorry, Fourth. :notworthy: I'll try not to do that again.. :tongue:

Thanks for the congrats, everyone! :iluvyou:

Watched Blood Relatives yesterday (what a heartbreaking episode that is :j_sad: )

It is a very sad ep, because it is such a believeable story. Through Millennium, the 1013 crew seemed to be able to tackle just about any horrible aspect of society and human behaviour.

Because the ep is so believeable in the situation it presents, the characters are all the more creepy and scary. So it winds up being a strange mixture of feelings. Take James Dickerson, for instance. He is seems very creepy character, and very deceptive, taking advantage of vulnerable people in their time of loss. But, as we see his story unfold, be gradually feel a sense of compassion or feeling sorry for him. We see he, himself, is a victum of his mother's abandonment (and probably her drug and alcolohol use while he was in the womb) and of the system that was supposed to take care of him.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, we have Conor. Though, probably a victum of similar circumstances to James', we have little compassion for him, because he (the person who is supposed to be helping him) is using James for his own sick behaviours and pathology.

Finally, we see the overall picture of these two "ferrel" victums of society's abandonment, who have somehow formed a symbiotic relationship, allowing each to act out their own extremely maladapted and harmful (deadly, in Conor's case) cumpulsions. But, each at its core once had a normal instinct, that was never properly nurtured by the people who were supposed to do that.

For James, it was the need to feel close to family, to be a part of their memories, and feelings of love and longing. For Conor, it was to care for another, to be a mentor, to nurture and provide for. Both of these needs or instincts became extremely warped, to say the least, as a result of their family circumstances and the society or human behaviours that created those circumstances.

Blood relatives, indeed.

:ouro: Scott

• Elders (Moderators)

Scott, your post is beautiful and amazing. Somehow you managed to express all the thoughts and feelings I had about this episode and that makes me kind of speechless right now. So I'll just thank you.

Scott, your post is beautiful and amazing. Somehow you managed to express all the thoughts and feelings I had about this episode and that makes me kind of speechless right now. So I'll just thank you.

You are quite welcome. I think this is probably one of the best and most insightful episodes of the entire series. And, it also sums up an underlying theme of the series as well. That being, how "evil" is most often born of human horrors. Most serial killers are made or turned into what they are by their own family, community, society, or civilization - the circumstance and environment of their determined station in the world. Then we demonize these people, when they act out the delusional reality and mental/emotional poison they have been injected with, often from the time they are born.

The same goes for just about any person who acts out dysfunctional, anti-social, or maladaptive behaviours. They have been made this way. I think that the whole idea of "personal responsibility for one's actions" has been so terribly abused by families, communities, political leaders, religion, governments, the "one percenters" and society to hide their own culpability in helping to form these behaviours and suffering in people. Then they can comfortably blame it all on the individual and makes him/her responsible for cleaning up the entire mess of their lives, which families, communities, politics, religion, governments, one percenters, and society all helped create.

My wife works as a nurse at a major prison in the UK. We often have similar discussions about such topics, and she always points out that the prison is full of people like this. They have close to zero chance of not going to prison, and probably close to zero chance of staying out, if they get out.

Yeah, let's just keep throwing "personal responsibility" propoganda at the problem, may be that will fix it.