Maranatha

Rate this topic

Guest Frank L.

Guest Frank L.

This is just a thought, there nothing serious about it, but just something I wanted to share with you.

I watched Maranatha yesterday, and if there's ever going to be a MM movie, it could be a sequel to Maranatha. In my humble opinion it's a good episode with some great moments, but far from being the best. I could have been a lot better. Especially the special-effects in the beginning of the episode are bad. Why not just show Yaponchik walking away with the sound of explosions in the background and some extra flashes of light? But I love the general idea though. Because it has an open ending, I think it would be great to see Yaponchik return. This time they could focus more on Yaponchik and Frank, instead of Yura's quest.

Any thoughts?

This is just a thought, there nothing serious about it, but just something I wanted to share with you.

I watched Maranatha yesterday, and if there's ever going to be a MM movie, it could be a sequel to Maranatha. In my humble opinion it's a good episode with some great moments, but far from being the best. I could have been a lot better. Especially the special-effects in the beginning of the episode are bad. Why not just show Yaponchik walking away with the sound of explosions in the background and some extra flashes of light? But I love the general idea though. Because it has an open ending, I think it would be great to see Yaponchik return. This time they could focus more on Yaponchik and Frank, instead of Yura's quest.

Any thoughts?

Oh, did you hit the nail on this one! I have always speculated that, if MillenniuM had not been cancelled, we would have seen likes of Sergei Stepanovich (a.k.a Yaponchik, a.k.a Anti-Christ) again. In fact, I think the Virtual 4th Season that plays out such a story-arc.

I absolutely love Maranatha. I think the Yaponchik character is great, with all the sublte tie-ins to Anti-Christ mythology. The use of the word "Yaponchik" with it's double meaning of "boogie man" as well as a powerful organized crime/business man - with the power to decide/mediate disputes, that is: The Judge... that is Legion. There is another subtle tie-in with Yaponchik to Anti-Christ mythology. According the prophesy, the Anti-Christ will be a great peace maker, uniting the 10 Kingdoms as Frank and Peter discuss. I also thought it was brilliant tying in the Wormwood prophesy to the Chernobyl disaster complete with Chernobyl meaning "Wormwood." And, of course, the "10 Kingdoms" prophesy tie-in to the nations of the former Soviet Union.

I just think it would have made for a great story-arc to revist one or more times, especially, perhaps to end the series with.

Then there is the flipside... the unintentionally funny and clunky aspects of the episode! LOL! (I think I will save those and start a thread in the humour section for this)

Anyway, I think you may be onto something. It would make for a great thing to be included in a possible MLM film (I think it will happy, btw. And, it will definitely be because of the fan base. I think we have gotten the attention of the entertainment establishment with our presense on the web. I think this is partly what provided momentum for MLM to be put on dvd). They could do soooo much with the who need for united the nations of the former Soviet Union. It would fit perfectly with Russia and most of these nations having become basically capitalistic oligarchies, with controlling influence and interests being in largely in the hands of organized crime. I would love to see Mr. Stepanovich and Mr. Black square off for a "final" showdown of Legion vs. Black. "You were a myth... no more." Two beats.

Guest Frank L.

Selfosophy Psycho, thank you for your lovely post! You're right about the whole Yaponchik mythology, that's what I loved about this episode. And ofcourse Frank's short conversation with Mr. Stephanovich. Frank and Peter discussing the case in the car. Peter saying the Anti-Christ survived a fatal head wound in the Bible, then it really happens to Stephanovich. His escape is also great. There are lots of great moments in it.

Yes, that whole scene at the Russian embassy is fantastic! It was so believeable. We could have seen nothing else of the Steponovich character after that, and the Yaponchick/Anti-Christ character would have been established. The actor did a great job during that scene. And the way that Frank and he interacted. "Magic! Fantastic!"

Yes, there were lots of great moments in that episode. I love the things Yura would say to Franks, his attitude, the way he reacted to things. It really worked, and made the episode believeable.

Maranatha is most certainly one of the best episodes of S1. A sequel to it would be amazing!! I wonder why they never bothered.

säki