Owls

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

Guest betweenthelines

I just watched 'Owls' and I was confused by all the random references to the Nazi party (the clips of Hitler speaking, stormtroopers marching, and swastikas). Were Morgan and Wong trying to suggest that the piece of wood from the cross happened to be found during Hitler's reign or am I missing something?

Also, Frank's "Looking for me?" line? Of all the times to reference Taxi Driver, a scene as intense as the ending of this episode was not the right time for that.

Guest SouthernCelt
The NAZI regiem is known for it's interest in the occult and symbols of power. The NAZI's wanted the relic in this story for the power it might have.

Correct! It's fascinating to read about some of the efforts Hitler went to looking for all manner of occult objects.

Although the plot for the first Indiana Jones flik was obviously fiction, Hitler's search for the Ark of the Covenant was not. He sought the Ark of the Covenant, Noah's Ark, the Holy Grail and the Cross of the Crucifixion, all of which he believed existed as described in the Bible and secular history and had been hidden away rather than being destroyed. He was especially focused on the Grail and the Cross because both were said to have been in the possession of the Knights Templar during their 200 year existence. Many of Hitler's ideas for a perfect world were tied to recreating a society overseen or ruled by a knight-like elite, although he pursued the Teutonic knight mythologies rather than that of the other western European countries.

Guest Frank L.

I can't remember very clearly, but wasn't it true that the army that had the cross in possession, never lost a battle, until they lost the cross again?

I can't remember very clearly, but wasn't it true that the army that had the cross in possession, never lost a battle, until they lost the cross again?

That's exactly correct. From the transcripts that Libby and her minions have worked so hard on...

LARA: Millennium spent a great deal of effort to discover this. For what purpose? I mean, obviously you weren't going to display it in "The Millennium Group Believe It Or Not! Museum." I can't imagine you putting it up for auction or selling it to the Vatican.

WATTS: The patriarch of Jerusalem carried the cross into battle before the Crusaders. For nearly a century, they did not suffer a single defeat, unless the cross was not present. The Muslim army, for whom the cross had no significance, was victorious as long as it was in their possession. They weren't defeated until it was buried. Even the Nazis had the Vichy Government in Damascus looking for the cross, convinced of its mystical power. Should a battle ... should Armageddon occur, we must have the cross in our possession.

Best wishes,

Maxx

Guest SouthernCelt
That's exactly correct. From the transcripts that Libby and her minions have worked so hard on...

LARA: Millennium spent a great deal of effort to discover this. For what purpose? I mean, obviously you weren't going to display it in "The Millennium Group Believe It Or Not! Museum." I can't imagine you putting it up for auction or selling it to the Vatican.

WATTS: The patriarch of Jerusalem carried the cross into battle before the Crusaders. For nearly a century, they did not suffer a single defeat, unless the cross was not present. The Muslim army, for whom the cross had no significance, was victorious as long as it was in their possession. They weren't defeated until it was buried. Even the Nazis had the Vichy Government in Damascus looking for the cross, convinced of its mystical power. Should a battle ... should Armageddon occur, we must have the cross in our possession.

Best wishes,

Maxx

That last sentence of Peter's always bothered me a little and made me wonder if he was really as big a believer in the Rooster philosophy as he said. If he believed so strongly in the Biblical prophecy, especially Revelation, why would he reject the part of the prophecy that says that the Antichrist's forces will be defeated at Armageddon?

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Peter never struck me as being someone who would believe in the Rooster ideology at all. He was never portrayed like that in S1 or even in the early parts of S2. The female doctor is quite right when she states she would have suspected Peter of joining the Owls before Johnston.

Guest A Stranger

Yeah, Peter's idealogies became very confusing. He tells Frank the Group has "conclusive evidence of Doomsday" but then in the same episode tells Lara "if Armagedeon is to occur." Why the sudden change? Not to metnion he seems to have no idea what Ricardo Clement is in "Gehenna" then he starts giving Frank lessons about Evil in "Monster." Maybe he became fully inducted between the summer hiatus. :bigsmile:

Am I the only one didn't like the Owls and Roosters element to the show? The Owls were simply not compeling to me. How are these two groups even a part of the same group if they have contradicting ideas? Also, I think putting a clock that counts down the end of the world was a bad idea in general. MLM was never about the world actually ending in the year 2000 but about the future in general. The year 2000 was acknowledged by the world, or our culture, to be a significant year, a marker of progress and reflection.

This was all corrected in seaosn three. Peter tells Frank that "maybe not the end of the physical world, but the end of a world worthy of human life." and I think that is more appealing, ang given the re-release of the DVDs, I think has made it timeless. Season two dated itself and took itself out the reality and relevance once the clock stoped ticking and the world didn't end.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Zdenius

i grown on the episodes played on Czech TV station and few days ago i have seen the Owls for the first time on my DVD and one moment amazed me little bit.. in TV they ended up the first part of the Owls after Frank shoots into the car and on the DVD it actually ends few seconds before the shooting starts :wtf:

also watching the DVD i found some other differences, like they didnt play some sound offects that were actually used, etc..

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

I'm not sure if I agree that the show was not about the end of the world at the Millennium. I suspect Chris Carter really did want the show to be about that - his S3 episodes are still very enamoured on demons, pure evil and gothic horror building and building. I didn't like 'Owls' and 'Roosters' really. They are quite clever at times but the Odessa front company scenes are absolutely ridiculous. I quite like 'Owls' actually to be fair. The scene with the cross providing holy protection and Johnston's death to the sound of 'Horse with No name' may not be entirely Millennium but they are very well done. I like the music in general in this episode actually. I like how 'Owls' has all sorts of technical gizmos and is very secular whilst 'Roosters' is more spiritual with much greater religious symbolism. I just feel that 'Roosters' is sadly a very poor episode apart from this and like I said - the Aerotech parts... no.