Hackers!

Rate this topic

It's all right, Brian. I still can't program my VCR.

- Peter Watts, The Mikado

OK. Remembering that Peter Watts is something of a techno-peasant (and Frank is supposedly worse!) I had to wonder about something he said when I was looking at the transcript for Owls for the quote about the Nazis and the Cross of the Crucifiction for another post.

In Owls Lara mentions the Owls belief that it is still the dark of night - you remember the scene...

WATTS: Should a battle ... should Armageddon occur, we must have the cross in our possession.

LARA: Even if some members believe it is "still the middle of the night?"

[Watts is stunned.]

WATTS: The Owls have hacked into the Millennium mainframe and been sending you messages, haven't they?

[Lara doesn't confirm anything.]

Something has always bothered me about that last line and it just struck me... The Owls apparently don't have access to the Millennium mainframe! If they did, why would they have to hack it? In trying to rationalize it one could assume that they have access to only certain portions of the mainframe, but given that Elders should theoretically have almost unlimited access, surely there must be Elders who are Owls who could have just done it themselves??

What do you think? Is Peter just trying to sound more adept at the tech-speak than he is or do the Owls really not have access and if so then why?

Guest SouthernCelt
Something has always bothered me about that last line and it just struck me... The Owls apparently don't have access to the Millennium mainframe! If they did, why would they have to hack it? In trying to rationalize it one could assume that they have access to only certain portions of the mainframe, but given that Elders should theoretically have almost unlimited access, surely there must be Elders who are Owls who could have just done it themselves??

What do you think? Is Peter just trying to sound more adept at the tech-speak than he is or do the Owls really not have access and if so then why?

I always presumed that whoever maintained the Group's computer system was either a Rooster or was under the direct authority of an

Elder who was so that the Rooster faction controlled the data system use. This would mean that the Owls had to hack in to broadcast their pitch.

It's all right, Brian. I still can't program my VCR.

- Peter Watts, The Mikado

OK. Remembering that Peter Watts is something of a techno-peasant (and Frank is supposedly worse!) I had to wonder about something he said when I was looking at the transcript for Owls for the quote about the Nazis and the Cross of the Crucifiction for another post.

In Owls Lara mentions the Owls belief that it is still the dark of night - you remember the scene...

I always presumed that whoever maintained the Group's computer system was either a Rooster or was under the direct authority of an

Elder who was so that the Rooster faction controlled the data system use. This would mean that the Owls had to hack in to broadcast their pitch.

This is a fasinating topic!

I hadn't even thought of this question...but it makes sense to me, now. We COULD assume that the Roosters were the most "in charge" as far as the group went. Certainly, it seemed that way, since the Owls seemed to always have to work in the dark. :ghost2:

Guest chrisnu

I took that as Peter trying to create suspicion regarding the Owls faction. Surely there must be Elders belonging to the Owls with mainframe access. We don't know for certain, but I take that for granted.

I always presumed that whoever maintained the Group's computer system was either a Rooster or was under the direct authority of an Elder who was so that the Rooster faction controlled the data system use. This would mean that the Owls had to hack in to broadcast their pitch.

Good thinking SouthernCelt! That would seem to make good sense.

Frank got a phone call instead of the message because he was distancing hiomself from the Millennium Group and wouldn't have necessarily received the start-up screen message, and I suspect the Owls were hoping he'd come back and work for them. That fits with Peter's assessment.

Lara gets the screen because she's still an active candidate. Wouldn't it have been easier to just give her the cryptic call too?

Guest bitterstrength

Given that Peter Watts was Franks primary contact with the group... What if we infer that group procedure with canidates/initiates calls for 1 on 1 communication. A group member or a patron would be the only one able to communicate with their chosen canidate. A personal relationship would facilitate indoctrination into the "mysteries" of the group. contact with multiple individuals could distract or hinder a candidates progress. If this were the case the group system admins could easily set up the group mainframe to block all messages/communication from other group members. perhaps this is so important that there are multiple blocks to prevent communication. This could be why Peter is suprised that someone else was able to communicate with Laura.

Peter didnt see Laura's computer screen. I had to go back and watch that exchange but she does not mention it to peter. So the question becomes why did Peter jump to the conclusion that she got a messege via the "hacked millenium mainframe"?

i agree with maxx, a phone call would have been easier and probably less tracable. perhaps other canidates across the globe have been approached by the owls to join their faction. Or maybe peter knows about previous owls' attempts to manipulate the group mainframe. either way its a big leap for him without proof and he makes that statement with authority.

i wont go any further because this will drift off into irrational speculation!! lol!!

Edited by bitterstrength