Time Of The Season

Rate this topic

4th Horseman

Guest SouthernCelt
What a great topic.. Maybe I'll be here more than once, too.

The first thing that came to mind was this scary feeling I sometimes have just before falling asleep. When it happens, I feel the horrifying presence of something utterly evil, hear some malicious people talking outside my bedroom and sometimes I feel like someone's standing right by my bed staring at me. :gehenna: All this with the fact that I can't move at all. The thing takes a couple of minutes, I guess, and then I fall into a normal sleep.

This really scared me at first and I thought I had lost my mind, until I read about the sleep paralysis, also known as the Old Hag Syndrome. :witch: Luckily it's not a serious condition and as far as I know now, it's pretty common.

More about the Old Hag here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_hag

I've had the same experience and doing a little digging found out that such light bursts come from space junk hitting the atmosphere and burning up in a flash of light. Apparently the refined metals in space junk vaporize a lot more quickly than either metal based or stone based meteorites. Saw one a couple of years ago out my bedroom window just as I was going to get my morning shower. Scared the crap out of me at the time.

Guest SouthernCelt

I've had a lot of spooky things come up, especially when I was kid growing up in one of the oldest settled areas of Mississippi. Can't say I ever actually saw anything though. It was mainly just a feeling of uneasiness when I was in certain places, especially old houses where several people had died over the years.

I had one wierd experience when I was about 16. I earned money that summer using a tractor and pasture clipper to cut overgrown pastures and get rid of briars and trash grass. In one rather remote area of a pasture that ran down a hill into a river bottom I found an area hidden in a big patch of briars where the grass had either been cut short or would not grow. In the middle of this somewhat bare spot were three circles burned into the short grass down to the soil. The circles were in a line running roughly east-west. As you moved from east to west, the circles got progressively larger by a factor of about 2. In other words the first circle might have been 12 inches in diameter, the second about 24 inches and the third 36 inches. The grass in the circles was not burned over the whole area, but only in a band about 3 inches wide (think of the ouroboros without the snake detail). All I could ever surmise was that maybe it was a ritual site for a voodoo ritual since we had so many blacks in the area that still practiced some of the Christian/voodoo blend of religion.

I sure wish we had had the one-use cameras or digital cameras back then. Since I had no way of knowing who might have seen me discover the circles, I wasn't about to go back there with my old box camera later. The whole place had this air about it that told me I was out of place and shouldn't hang around.

A while back I worked for a retirement community that was built around a church. The church in fact owns most of the land around here but leased it to the developers for what is now a huge community, Nursing care, Assisted living, etc.

Anyway, I worked part time security there when I was younger - mostly it was being available if the residents pulled an emergency cord in the middle of the night, but we made rounds, lock up and such.

The hardest part for me was going through the chapel at night. I was raised Catholic so I couldn't understand why this place held such dread for me.

There were two ways to enter.

One, was through a brightly lit (long) hallway and as soon as you got off the elevator you saw the massive glass doors to the chapel and the darkness beyond. There was a small red light, a memorial I think, for one of the priests buried there.

I really hated this way, I'd have to make that long walk (my heart in my throat) enter through the doors and go through, all the way to check the outside doors at the back of the church.

The other way was - underground.

You would go through the archives on the lower level, and climb an old circular masonry stairway to a heavy wooden door which opened in the rear of the church. You could then secure the doors, run through the church - past all the pews, make a right and you were out!

One night I started out but forgot my flashlight. There was still enough dim light to make your way and I was determined to get this over with. I came in through the back of the church and kept my eyes fixed on the altar. Off to my left, peripherally, I detected a white shape in one of the pews. I told myself "you're nuts there's nothing there!" but still wouldn't look directly at it.

Slowly a head turned and huge dark eyes looked at me - I couldn't deny it and froze while my partner babbled casually on the walkie-talkie.

"Do you know what time the priests get in?"

It was one of the residents who unfortunately suffered from Alzheimer's and had a habit of showing up in the middle of the night at the cafe' or dinning room thinking it was daytime. How she got through those heavy glass chapel doors, tiny as she was, I don't know. dressed in a white robe with her thick glasses that made her eyes look huge.

I switched to days shortly after that.

Bonnie

Guest SouthernCelt

This isn't a personal experience but it is one of the spookiest stories I've ever heard firsthand from someone who experienced it.

My office used to have a older fellow who worked as a security guard to supplement his retirement income. When he had begun working as a guard several years before, he was assigned a night shift at a large hospital building which was destined for demolition. The hospital owner/operator had constructed an entirely new building only a block or so away from the old building and had left some of the possibly useful room furnishings in the old building for relocation later, therefore, the need for the security in the old building.

My friend said from the very first night on duty he would hear sounds from the interior of the hospital that sounded like talking with occasional moans and groans as though someone in pain was being seen to by the staff. There would also be sounds like gurneys being pushed about and doors opening or closing. He spent his first night doing nothing but walking the halls looking for the cause of the noises but never saw anything. After several nights of this with no intruder ever being found, he finally started ignoring all but the loudest, unusual sounds.

After a while he was moved from the night to the graveyard shift and didn't come in to work until midnight or so. Only a few days after the switch when he arrived to relieve the night guard, the night guard told him that it was all his forever more because what had happened just before my friend walked in was so frightening he wasn't coming back ever again. When my friend asked what happened, the night guard said that around 11:00 pm he heard the front entrance open and looked up to see a man and woman walk past his station at what had been the reception desk and walk through the doors into the hall going into the treatment areas. Now when he said "walk through" that's exactly what he meant -- the "visitors" didn't open the swinging doors to the hall, they walked into and through the closed doors! When he went to see where they were, no one was visible or otherwise detectable anywhere in the hall where they disappeared. The night guard had adjusted to the mysterious sounds just as my friend had done but couldn't handle the visible phenomena.

Sometime later before the building was torn down but after all the useful furnishings had been moved, a low budget horror movie was shot in some of the rooms that would suffice for medical facility sets. Another friend of mine who works second jobs as a carpenter, worked on the movie helping tear out and relocate walls to open up the "sets" while preserving the hospital look. He said that no one on the crew, regardless of job, would venture very far from the area of the shooting because of the wierd noises that could be heard from the depths of the rest of the building.

Once the building was torn down, a state of the art medical office building was built on the site. I've never had occasion to go to any doctors who practice in that building, but I've wondered if any of the old hospital spooks hung around to check out the new building.

My friend was a lay preacher and very religious so he wasn't the type who tended to believe in ghosts but he certainly thought there was something spooky about that place.

What a coincidence. I wanted to start a topic on experiences with the supernatural/paranormal, because yesterdaymorning something strange happened to me. This really happened, but I can't explain it. Maybe it was just something natural, but I don't think so.

I deliver the papers early in the morning. There's a farmhouse that I have to cycle to. There are no lampposts, or a lamp with a motion sensor etc. So it's total darkness. Suddenly there's a flash of light above me, and I can see it on the ground. A second later it's gone. It was pretty bright, like a flashlight, but there's nobody around at that hour. I'm not saying it was a UFO or anything, but it definately WAS very strange. I felt really weird afterwards.

Wow...that's weird.....

The other day (might have been the 29th)....night, rather, my fiance was driving me home and we saw a flash of light falling from the sky (but too low to be a meteor). I guess it COULD have been some kind of firework. Are we all seeing odd lights now?

My picture was taken just west of the Denver metro area on Mt. Evens. I know of no stories about the area that could explain a haunting.

There is more than meets the eye. SCientist are baffled by something called quantum entanglement. It seems that there is communication faster than light; this of course is impossible according to Einstiens math. It could be a clue into an exisance of things we are not able to percieve because of our limited understanding of physics?

Here's a picture similar to yours hippyroo:

post-386-1131110818_thumb.jpg

This was today's odd picture of the day posted on the Coast to Coast web site

Yikes! another one!

I can sometimes tune in Coast to Coast late night. I remember last Oct 13 (2004) they were discussing Freemasons and the Knights Templar. Chris Carter got a mention when they talked about the first 'Friday the Thirteenth' and coincidently his production company.

No surprise I guess - another X-file fan :) But it was making me nuts fading in and out. Not sure where it was broadcasting from.

thanks for the link!

Good show.