Rob Bowman Interview About Next Xf Film

Rate this topic

Guest lilblackgirl

Guest lilblackgirl

X-Files to Stand Alone

Green light for the future?

by Steve Head

October 25, 2005 - X-Files: Fight the Future director Rob Bowman has high hopes that a sequel to his 1998 movie will soon begin production. "Very high," he tells IGN FilmForce. Whether or not the movie goes into production in 2006, for release in 2007, likely depends on the schedules of series creator Chris Carter and stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson. "I know they want to do it," he says. "I spoke to David and he wanted to do it. Chris wanted to do it. I think they're just working on timing."

Having just released his Director's Cut version of Elektra on DVD, Bowman is now filming Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes: Umney's Last Case, starring William H. Macy (Sahara) and Jackie McKenzie (TV's The 4400). While he hopes to get approval from Fox on another project, the prospect of directing a second X-Files movie evokes positive feelings. "My involvement is not something I can control. And what I've said when I'm asked the question 'Will I direct it?' is: I have to be asked to direct it first. I'd love to direct it. But if I don't, then I just can't wait to see it because I know it'll be great."

Although a screenplay has yet to be written, Bowman asserts he's eager to read anything Carter comes up with. He says, "[The script will be] cool and sophisticated. That's how Chris writes. I'm sure he has lots of stories. I just think, please hurry, because I can't wait to see it."

As for which series storyline the sequel might focus on, Bowman says, "The only thing I know is it will be a stand alone story. That's what I was told. It won't be tied into the X-Files mythology. So, anybody who's never seen the X-Files can step into the movie theater and have the full experience, and really see the great chemistry between David and Gillian."

Now, seven years since the release of the first X-Files movie, some might say interest in the franchise has waned. Bowman believes otherwise. "[The X-Files] is like an old friend from the past, he says. "Whenever they come knocking at the door, they'll be greeted with open arms. I think... I hope that there's no bad time to make the X-Files sequel. If it came out at any time, I'd run and see it. Everybody wants to make it. And certainly as a fan, I want to see it."

link to the page