Season Two

Rate this topic

Guest betweenthelines

Guest betweenthelines

Last night I finished watching the second season of "Millennium". What a fantastic batch of episodes!! Too bad Morgan and Wong left the show after this year (does anyone know why, by the way?) because they did a fantastic job supervising this series. My favorites from this season:

'The Beginning And the End'-A great followup to the finale for Season 1. The character of Brian Roedecker was fun, although a little too reminiscent of The Lone Gunmen on "The X-Files". My only complaint about this episode? Jordan's sudden ability to see angels. It didn't really fit with the rest of the episode.

'Beware of the Dog'-I didn't really care about the main plot with the killer dogs and whatnot, but the scenes with the Old Man saved this episode from being an utter bore. Too bad the Old Man was featured in only two more episodes; he was one of many new and exciting characters introduced this season.

'Monster'-As I mentioned before, this episode had a whole lot of X/F actors. It was amusing seeing them all in one single episode.

'The Curse of Frank Black'-I highly doubt you'll see something on TV like this. Not much music and dialogue, but plenty of mood to spare. Too bad this one wasn't nominated for an Emmy...

'The Hand of St. Sebastian'-Who would have thought Cheryl Andrews would have betrayed Frank so quickly? Not I. This one's an important episode since we learn a little more about the Millennium Group and their origins.

'Jose Chung's Doomsday Defense'-I liked the character's debut appearance on "The X-Files", but this one is so much better than From Outer Space. The mockery of Scientology and self-help groups was a scream. A shame Jose was killed off at the end, but I guess a happy ending is just not Millenniumistic...

'Midnight of the Century'-Another holiday episode, and yet another fantastic "Millennium" episode. Not as creepy as TCOFB, we learn more about Frank's childhood and meet his father.

'Owls/Roosters'-Not one boring moment in these two episodes. Suspense and intrigue from the get-go.

'Anamnesis'-This one was intriguing, though too much was crammed in: Teen violence, religious visions, and Group intrigue. Too much to handle in 44 minutes, though everyone involved did their best.

'Somehow Satan Got Behind Me'-The Jose Chng episode was pretty out there, but nothing compared to this one. It's almost like a combination of "Seinfeld" and Paradise Lost. Not even "The X-Files" would have attempted something so defiant.

'The Fourth Horseman/The Time Is Now'-I wasn't sure what made Lara go berserk in the cabin. Watts claimed her behavior was brought on by being inducted into the Group, but what was it about the ritual that drove her off the edge? Also, I'm not sure how I feel about The Trust. I don't think they were mentioned in Season 3, so it seems kind of pointless that another mysterious law enforcement group be introduced at the end of the season. Despite that, these episodes were downright creepy. The end of TWIN when Jordan is trying to wake up Frank, intercut with the static... would have made for the perfect finale. The infamous "insanity" sequence was another gem; it had potential to drag but I was hooked the entire time.

Guest Frank L.

I've started with Season Two a few days ago. I watched "A Single Blade Of Grass" today. Still don't like it. But, on Halloween night, I going to watch "The Curse Of Frank Black". I've been looking forward to it. Great short reviews, BTW, betweenthelines!

Guest betweenthelines
I watched "A Single Blade Of Grass" today. Still don't like it. But, on Halloween night, I going to watch "The Curse Of Frank Black"

'A Single Blade of Grass' was okay. It's not the greatest "Millennium" episode but I wasn't completely turned off. My least favorite Season 2 episode is '19:19'. To make a long story short, it's really boring. Some good moments but it just doesn't work for me. I also wasn't too fond of 'Sense and Antisense', but I was so excited about watching the other episodes that I probably didn't give this one a fair chance. I'll probably have to rewatch it again...

Guest Frank L.

I love '19:19'. And I didn't like 'Sense and Antisense' as much as I loved the other episodes. I think I didn't give 'A Single Blade Of Grass' a fair change. I'm not even sure what I don't like about it.

Guest ZeusFaber
Too bad Morgan and Wong left the show after this year ... because they did a fantastic job supervising this series...

'The Hand of St. Sebastian'-Who would have thought Cheryl Andrews would have betrayed Frank so quickly? Not I. This one's an important episode since we learn a little more about the Millennium Group and their origins...

'Owls/Roosters'-Not one boring moment in these two episodes. Suspense and intrigue from the get-go...

'The Fourth Horseman/The Time Is Now'- ... The infamous "insanity" sequence was another gem; it had potential to drag but I was hooked the entire time.

Whoa, I guess we must have really, really differing and oposing views about this season.

That's a good thing, that we all have different views, but I just had to say how struck I was by disagreeing with the above comments. If you took each one and reversed it to say the exact opposite, that would be my opinion.

I've just started watching the second season shows on dvd and from the first episodes you can feel a new

tone to the show. Just adding a touch of black humor has lifted the show from its turgid moroseness that marred some of the first season's episodes. Yes, Roedecker is an obvious Lone Gunmen clone but the character brings a playful naivete that brings out Frank Black's dry sense of humor which we didn't see much

before.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

I agree. Putting them in after the fact doesn't make them elements that were always there, just not explored!

I think we can all agree that M+W put a lot of themselves into the show and brought many fine ideas. But I think we also must agree to disagree about many of thier decisions and how worthy the season remained as it progressed. Personally, I think they lost the plot and ruined the show after the few few episodes. Other disagree and that's fine. I would only say that given more discipline, this still could have been a good season. I'm very saddened by what I perceive to be a tragic waste of some truly excellent initial ideas.

Guest ZeusFaber
Personally, I think they lost the plot and ruined the show

Got to agree with you there. 'Beware of the Dog' was the slippery slope that led us down to 'A Single Blade of Grass', 'The Hand of Saint Sebastian', 'Owls', 'Roosters', and 'Siren' -- plus large portions of many other episodes.

However, I would say ruined the season rather than the show, since Season 3 managed to put things back on track pretty darned well.