Ouroboros:  Oroborus or Ouroborus ?

Rate this topic

Guest alz

I'm looking for some advice here.  I banged my head for some time trying to find a decent domain name, then this one hit me a couple nights ago -- a great one to use with the .us extention.  Not sure which spelling (ouroborus or oroborus) would be the best one for a domain.

The .us rules out Ouroboros, which leaves the next variation, oroborus (www.orobor.us).  That's cool -- it's simple, clean, phonetically spelled, etc.  The problem?  It's already registered.  Not being used, however.  Plus the owner's not even in the US, he's in Iceland.

So for now I took the oft.misspelled variation ouroborus  (www.orobur.us).

Here's the debate...

Should I go through the steps of trying to get the easier, more true orobor.us domain (a USA-only domain that's being registered in Iceland and who the hell knows what's involved with wrangling it), or is it just a lot of effort for little return and should just be happy with the unknown variant/misspelled ourobor.us domain?

Guest jasminefire
Hmm, here's food for thought:  I stumbled upon this website through a Google search of "ouroboros."  So I believe it should be spelled with an "ou" at the beginning.  If it's any help to you...

• 5 months later...

.......it's all in the "O's"!  OROBOROS.  :thumbsup_big:

~PEACE,

se7en :ouro:

:thinking_big: Ahhhhh..... It's a mysetery, to be sure!  There have been some search engines that spell it one way, and if you spell it any other way, they have NO IDEA what you're talking about.  No-one seems to be sure how to spell it!  Everyone has their own opinion!  You say To-may-to and I say To-ma-to! :wink_big:  :rofl:  :tongue:

Guest LauraKrycek
Okay, so after an extensive search typing in every possible spelling of "ouroborous" into many different online dictionaries, after not finding it in any of the dictionaries I have on hand.  Unfortunately, none of the spellings were recognized by any of them.  You'd think we made it up or something.  I mean, if Homer Simpsons "D'oh" is now officially part of the English language, you'd think ouroborous would be.  Well, regardless of what anyone else thinks, I'm still gonna spell it "ouroborous" because I think it's the prettiest spelling.  And that's what counts, right?   :tongue:

• Elders (Admins)

LOL Laura, you have a great and infectious sense of humour!

:rofl:

I've always believed it's ouroborous myself...

Don't knock Homer, he's my role model and I base my life on his teachings...

Homer_J_Simpson.gif

Gra :ouro:

GRA SAID:  "Don't knock Homer, he's my role model and I base my life on his teachings."

.....ahhhhh,it all makes sense now! :wink_big:  :laugh_big:

~se7en :ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek

LOL, thanks, Gra!  Unfortunately, it's probably just the lessening amounts of sleep I've been getting for the past week.  With some people, it's alcohol, with some people, sugar... me, I'm on no sleep, I get rowdy!

And me, knock Homer?  Never!  I totally love his philosophy on life.  Hey, my favorite advice:

Homer: There, there, shut up boy, we'll just get you a new dog.

Bart: I don't want a new dog, I want Santa's little helper.

Homer: Well crying isn't going to bring him back, unless your tears smell like dog food, so you can either sit there crying and eating can after can of dog food until your tears smell enough like dog food to make your dog come back, or you can go out there and find your dog.

Bart: You're right, I'll do it!

Homer: Rats, I almost had him eating dog food.