Ouroboros:  Oroborus or Ouroborus ?

Rate this topic

Guest alz

Guest PROVO_SIX

I do understand the ORO prefix, knowing your difficulty is in the suffix, because oro in Spanish means gold. Many use the prefix "our" but I believe this to be the English version.

MAC computers recognizes "Oroborus" and there is a role playing game by the name using the serpent,so I would say go with this.  It makes sense to start with Latin for gold - "oro", and end it in "us" alone, rather than 0us.

It is simple and logical.  orobor.us is a good and simple convention.

:Ouro_Large:

• 3 months later...

Hope this helps:  :ouro::Ouro_Large::ouro:

Ouroboros: Greek name of the Hermetic World Serpent, sometimes the sea-serpant Oceanus encircling the earth; sometimes the underground python coiled in the earth's womb; otherwise known as Sata, Leviathan, Taaut, Tuat, Thoth, Ophion, etc. See Serpent.

Barbara G. Walker, The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets. New York: HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., 1983. p. 754

(One of my favorite books ever, published before I was born. heh....)

Though I can't ever remember how to spell ouro... oro...  :no_big: - it's quite a common theme so I can usually reference the Midguard Serpent, World Serpant, Leviathan, etc...  :sunglasses_big:

:ouro:

Guest LauraKrycek
Way to cite your sources!   :laugh_big:  Excellent work -- I hadn't been able to find anything about it anywhere.  Not that I actually looked exhaustively (I probably only typed it into dictionary.com or something), but I still didn't get anything.  I like Leviathan too... sounds menacing.

• 5 years later...

As there are many words in the English language that are spelled different yet have the same meaning, I believe "Ouroborus" is one of those words. Instead, I would like to draw your attention to Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible, giving us both the Hebrew and Greek meaning of the word "Serpent," which is what the Ouroborus is.

The Hebrew word "nachash," #5175, a masculine noun, is so called from its hissing. Used of the constellation of the serpent or dragon in the northern part of the sky, Arab. It's from the root word #5172, a verb, which is spelled the same, meaning to hiss, i.e. whisper (a spell), a prognosticate, (divine) enchanter.

The Greek word "ophis," #3789, also a masculine noun, means a snake, serpent (fig.). With the ancients the serpent was an emblem of cunning and wisdom. The serpent who deceived Eve was regarded by the Jews as the devil. It's from the root word "optomai," #3700, meaning, "to gaze i.e. with wide-open eyes as at something remarkable." Used through the idea of sharpness of vision.

Spiritually speaking, the serpent is subtle (hardly noticeable, shrewd), sly, or a treacherous divine enchanter, corrupter of mankind, "More subtle then any beast of the field which the Lord God had made." (Gen 3:1) The serpent now crawls (abased to lower elements of the flesh) and eats dust (our bodies, e.g. cancer).

The Ouroborus, is the masculine divine enchanter's eternal consumption of itself. There is no feminine word in the Hebrew or Greek that I could find. In the spirit, there is no male or female, only the essense of who you are.