Moments

Guest Frank L.

Guest SouthernCelt
Anyone remember the first time they saw star wars episode 4? how about this, its 1977, the first time ive been to a indoor movie theater in my life, 5 years old, my dad takes me 50 miles to the "big city" of hot springs, Arkansas to see Star Wars, the part of that movie that still gives me chills is when they are attacking the death star, you see an above view of the trench that leads to the portal shaft, the x-wing fighter group inverts then drops into the trench for their attack run, i can still remember the way that was filmed, im not sure what it was, the cinematic music that gave the attack the aire of desperation, the laser cannons firing at the xwings, the sense of incredible speed....... i could have sworn i was flying right alongside of Red 5 in that trench........anyway, snap back to reality, did anyone else of my age era think that was the coolest damned thing in the world at that moment in time???

Although I was already 30 yrs old when I saw Ep 4, the Death Star attack flying down the trench was just as you describe even for me. On a full-size wide movie screen, everything but the action seemed to disappear from peripheral vision and you could almost feel the sensation of flying at high speed.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest chrisnu
Angelo Badalamenti is a great composer. As for Mulholland Dr, I had to consult the good old internet to fully understand it. Wonderful movie. I like your taste in movies and TV-series a lot, chrisnu! You\\\'re also a fan of Twin Peaks, aren\\\'t you? Looking forward to Lynch\\\'s new movie \\\"Inland Empire\\\"? He said it would have a Twin Peaks feel to it. I can\\\'t wait.

Yes, I am a big fan of Twin Peaks. I own the first season on DVD, and have seen the second season.

Yes, I am looking forward to Inland Empire very much. I am very interested to see what ideas he has created.

Guest Frank L.

In Lynch tradition, he doesn't want to say anything about Inland Empire. He only said: "It's about a woman in trouble, and it's a mystery, and that's about all I want to say about it". Yes, Twin Peaks: FWWM, Mulholland Drive and maybe even Blue Velvet are about women in trouble and are mysteries. :fool:

Although I was already 30 yrs old when I saw Ep 4, the Death Star attack flying down the trench was just as you describe even for me. On a full-size wide movie screen, everything but the action seemed to disappear from peripheral vision and you could almost feel the sensation of flying at high speed.

EXACTLY Celt, you have hit it on the mark, everything else around me seemed to disappear, my father told me many years later that he thought i was long gone way before that scene, a "vacant, completely mystified" look in my eye is, if i remember correctly, what he called it, but that scene has always stayed with me over the years, although i havent been the biggest fan of all the star wars movies, i think mainly because i have compared them all to a 5 year old kid watching the original Star Wars on what seemed to be a monolithic sized movie screen..lol.......you can never go home again :)

"Have I run too far to get home?"

Guest Frank L.

That's the problem with these "moments" that we love so much. The first time we see them, it's fantastic, but it will never become as great as the first time again.

Anyway, great stories everyone. I didn't grew up with Star Wars, and I never really liked it. I did like parts of The Empire Strikes Back and Revenge Of The Sith, but mainly because of the special fx. Maybe if I had been able to see the first one back in '77, I would have loved the movies, but I wasn't able (if you know what I mean :c_laugh::b_wink:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines