Is The Real World Really Real?

Rate this topic

Guest Laurent.

Guest Laurent.

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs...ves/000815.html

The only interesting part of the review is:

As with any Chris Carter creation, there are layers and layers of smoke and mirrors, no one is who they appear to be and you get the sense that, as in his X-Files, any secondary character could be killed at any time and that the nebulous plot could spin on a dime. (There's even a hint that Hobbes' reality isn't the real world, either.)

What's the hint? Anyone know what he's talking about?

Edited by Laurent.

https://www.signonsandiego.com/news/weblogs...ves/000815.html

The only interesting part of the review is:

As with any Chris Carter creation, there are layers and layers of smoke and mirrors, no one is who they appear to be and you get the sense that, as in his X-Files, any secondary character could be killed at any time and that the nebulous plot could spin on a dime. (There's even a hint that Hobbes' reality isn't the real world, either.)

What's the hint? Anyone know what he's talking about?

One of my fav topics!

There are numerous hints throughout the episodes of HR indicating, that what Hobbes, Pinocchio, and Sophie believed to be the so called "real world" was just another layer of "the game." I am postive, that if the show had not been cancelled, and had been around for a few years, we would have seen this "multi-layered reality game" mytharc fleshed out.

As I said, there are numerous hints throughout the 9 eps which point in this direction. I will come back to this thread when I have more time, and point out some of the hints.

... to be continued...

(fade to end titles)

Is it just me .... or are Harsh Realm and The Matrix basically the same thing? Is reality real.. or only our perception of it real? Since Harsh Realm is based on the comic book it obviously came first. A Harsh Realm movie [ made for tv or screen] would be awesome !! :swingin::kickin:

Guest Laurent.
Is it just me .... or are Harsh Realm and The Matrix basically the same thing? Is reality real.. or only our perception of it real? Since Harsh Realm is based on the comic book it obviously came first. A Harsh Realm movie [ made for tv or screen] would be awesome !! :swingin::kickin:

I think that (as a tv series) Harsh Realm had more potential than the matrix... even if the matrix had some cool special effects, leather costumes, and sunglasses :smokin::kickin: Harsh Realm could have become one of the biggest story of all time and that's what Chris was aiming for ("I wanted to do the Iliad and Odyssey together").

To Selfosophy Psycho: now I must insist you tell me! ... or maybe I should rewatch all episodes to search for the hints...

Just finished Disc 2.. I remember seeing one of those eps on tv so they must not have shown them in order on TV.. just picked the best ones trying to keep the network interested and not pull the plug too soon.. too bad it didn't work.... it is an awesome production. :kickin::smokin:

Guest Laurent.

Fox showed the first three episodes (pilot, leviathan and inga fossa) then the show got cancelled and FX aired all the nine episodes later on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
*starts wondering if Selfosophy Psycho will come back to explain :nope: *

I think that (as a tv series) Harsh Realm had more potential than the matrix... even if the matrix had some cool special effects, leather costumes, and sunglasses :smokin::kickin: Harsh Realm could have become one of the biggest story of all time and that's what Chris was aiming for ("I wanted to do the Iliad and Odyssey together").

To Selfosophy Psycho: now I must insist you tell me! ... or maybe I should rewatch all episodes to search for the hints...

"I shall return unto thee..."

I am back, as promised! Fear not. :angel2:

Okay, then. Let's start "in the beginning..."

Pilot Episode:

First of all, the so called "real world" scenes are shot in a grainy, hazy look - almost like slightly bad reception or something. The scenes in "Harsh Realm" are shot in the same fashion. Now, you could say this was done as a stylistic effect, or to give it a documentary-like look. But, I just think, given all the other subtle hints in the series, that this is another indication that the "real world" is just another part of a larger simulation. Also, when there is a transition from scene to scene, it is done with a digital looking fade from one scene to another - this occurs even when it is a transition from "Harsh Realm" to the "real world." This I think is one of the "hints" that the so called "real world" is just another simulated reality. These transitions occur in all the episodes, I think.

Another indicator is right in the beginning of the Pilot episode. Hobbes heorically races in to save his friend, Waters. When he finally gets to him, and covers Waters and himself up with a matress to protect from the bombing of the building - Hobbes looks up and sees graffitti depicting crossed swords... like the crossed swords of the Santiago Republican Guard insignia that he would latter see only in "Harsh Realm." Upon seeing this, Hobbes in a voice over says,

"I never believed in Fate or destiny of that stuff about

your path already being chosen. Who could believe it, when a choice

made in the space of a heartbeat can change your life. But here I am,

dearest darling, wondering what force put me here, brought me to this

moment. A fate I never wished for, but have now certainly attained.

How could I know this moment would change our lives forever?"

To me, this not only adds epic emphasis to the destiny of the Hobbes character, it also, in a sense, italicizes Hobbes' viewing of the "crossed swords" graffiti. Also, during the voice over, the point of view keeps shifting back (2 or 3 times) to Hobbes' view of the crossed swords, coming ever closer.

This is the first set of hints that I have time to write about at this moment. I will come back for more.

By the way, I agree that this show could have been huge! It really could have been what Chris Carter wanted it to be - epic... like the Iliad and the Odessy all in one. But, I think the blame for it not going that way can be shared by more than just the Fox execs, like everyone wants to blame. Sure, they could have promoted better, and for longer a time. They could have given it more time, and tried to find or cultivate an audience for it. However, I think there is a lot that the writers, directors, and producers could have done (and not have done) to increase the chances of Harsh Realm's survival. But, one again, I am limited for time. Besides, I think I will take this part of the discussion up in new thread in the Harsh Realm forum under the other category.

Regards,

Selfo

"Nothing is certain in Harsh Realm... not even your next breath."