Pat Robertson

Rate this topic

HighPlainsDrifter

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051111/ap_on_...rtson_evolution

There are times in which Pat sounds very intelligent but this time he doesnt

Joe M...you are right, besides a couple of weeks ago he called for the outright assassination of another countries president, (cant remember just who it was). Its moments like this that give religion a "black eye". Does it make the CONCEPT of religion wrong to those who believe? No, its not the message, but the messenger who twists and distorts. I use this simple comparison in regards to this situation.

When you are sick, do you still not go to the doctor (the messenger) for medicine (the message) even though you are fully aware that there are quacks who should not be practicing?

To one who believes, religion is the same way, there are quacks "preaching" the word as well, but that doesnt take away from the fact that there are also good, decent people who dont grab the headlines doing a wonderful job. Whatever the messenger brings, it still does not take away the true essence of the message. Its all in the presentation...

what do you think? open to all..but lets keep this CIVIL PLEASE...

The Fourth Horseman

Guest SouthernCelt

I tend to ignore or discount most of what comes from such "spokesmen for God." Most of them have built a multi-million dollar empire on the monetary donations from simple, hard-working people who are desparately seeking the comfort of truth from someone they become convinced has a more direct line to a higher power. That's just wrong! I don't believe such persons are any more qualified to tell the "truth" than I would be by applying common sense and studying religion and philosophy, so I'll decide for myself and they can go peddle their beliefs elsewhere.

The only televangelist I find intriguing (not that I believe all he says) is Jack Van Impe whose total focus is the end-times. He has obviously studied the Bible extensively and, although he takes as hard a position on his beliefs as most TV preachers, he doesn't ask for money. All his organization does is sell books and videos (focused on his message) that I've chosen not to buy. I don't routinely tune in to his TV program but do occasionally watch it just for hearing how he ties current events into prophecy -- good MM-type stuff.

Guest Frank L.

I don't think he'll become a household name, saying these kind of things. Who does he think HE is, God? That's meant to be a joke. I'm not religious, and I could say a lot of things, but I won't. I want to keep things civil, and not offend anybody.

Joe M...you are right, besides a couple of weeks ago he called for the outright assassination of another countries president, (cant remember just who it was). Its moments like this that give religion a "black eye". Does it make the CONCEPT of religion wrong to those who believe? No, its not the message, but the messenger who twists and distorts. I use this simple comparison in regards to this situation.

When you are sick, do you still not go to the doctor (the messenger) for medicine (the message) even though you are fully aware that there are quacks who should not be practicing?

To one who believes, religion is the same way, there are quacks "preaching" the word as well, but that doesnt take away from the fact that there are also good, decent people who dont grab the headlines doing a wonderful job. Whatever the messenger brings, it still does not take away the true essence of the message. Its all in the presentation...

what do you think? open to all..but lets keep this CIVIL PLEASE...

The Fourth Horseman

I prefer to make up my own mind, since I've been gifted with one.... Rather than let someone else make my decisions for me.

To each his (or her) own.

• Elders (Admins)

Yet another Religion based topic seems to end up leaving Members with a bitter taste or with people feeling offended, which is exactly why they are not allowed at TIWWA unless they relate to a religious episode. I'm not sure why this topic was started when the rules are quite clear about it but again I've failed to be convinced that religion can be discussed without someone feeling they have an axe to grind, getting the hump or having had their nose put out of joint. People have been killing themselves for 1000's of years over Religion, even in the Holy City. Even here on an Internet Message Board, it still attracts conflict of a kind. I can't see it ever changing unfortunately.

But, I am very curious, since you have cut and pasted my post and included it in your response, are you saying that i am incapable of making my own mind up?

That's just silly, un-warranted and flaimbaiting.

I like to think we can leave these topics to go because sometimes people can sort out their differences in a topic within a few posts but here I've not even sure if there has been something to be offended about or whether its a case of someone having taken offence when none was even directed. Sometimes quoting a post is a way of refering to the subject matter and not a reference to what someone has actualy said but when one challenges another over it, it starts to get silly.

Guest Frank L.

I agree, Old Man. Let's stop this before it gets out of hand. This discussion will never stop, and along the way more and more people will become offended and angry. They will post angry messages again; it's an evil ouroboros, really. And this while we should be together as a Group. We should have respect for religion, even if some of us don't believe in God. And respect means in some cases: you can think something, but don't say it. We are all different in our beliefs, but THIS IS WHO WE ARE...equal.

I agree, Old Man. Let's stop this before it gets out of hand. This discussion will never stop, and along the way more and more people will become offended and angry. They will post angry messages again; it's an evil ouroboros, really. And this while we should be together as a Group. We should have respect for religion, even if some of us don't believe in God. And respect means in some cases: you can think something, but don't say it. We are all different in our beliefs, but THIS IS WHO WE ARE...equal.
Post deleted, please allow me some quiet time to reboot my operating system (brain). :down:

0100TH Horseman (4th in hexidecimal)