The Beginning and the End

Rate this topic

Guest Polaroid Stalker

Although the serparation between Frank and Catherine is the most direct consequence of the episode, I have always interpreted it with larger implications. Not only is Frank giving up his family in order to pursue the greater good of fighting Evil, but he also is at the center of a very important time in the keeping the balance at the coming of the millennium. For me, it's the moment when he realizes that he has a greater purpose.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TheSunKing1972
I have a problem. I can't understand why, after killing the man who has drugged, abducted and tortured her, who has convinced her that her child is lying nearby, drugged or dead, and threatened to kill her, stabbed her husband......

Katherine wants a break from Frank.

I think that under these circumstances, I would be capable of doing the same to protect my wife or daughters, and I admit there would be an element of revenge included, but to be faced with "I think we need some time apart"...?

well shoot, I guess I should have been here earlier...lol..I was gonna post this topic..  Yep...after Catherine started flaking on Frank for saving her and defending himself...I couldn't stand her anymore. What the heck was up with that writing?

I mean, yeah she just had a terrible thing happen...but the man she is supposed to love and is sworn to protect her does just that and now she wants away from him?  WHAT A SKANK! :arghhh-big:  :frank_black:

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my thing...

When I put myself in Catherine's shoes, here is what I come up with.

I witness my spouse brutally, viciously, unbridledly, vengefully, bloodily, and ultra-violently repeatedly stab another human being.  Even if I did want the perp dead, I would still be quite traumatized and constitutionally shaken by witnessing the person I love and trust exacting this violence.  Add to this the trauma of the abduction itself and the terror of it.  Then, on top of that add all the death and violence that took place in my very own household over the previous several months - which jeaparded my own life, my spouses life and our child's life - all basically because of the work of my spouse.

I would probably need a hell of a lot of time to sort this whole thing out myself, and I would definitely need time away from my spouse and our home.  Honestly, I can't see her reacting in any other fashion, realistically.

There's my thing.

:hands4: Scott

Guest TheSunKing1972
from what I recall, he stabbed him 3 or 4 times, which in my opinion...was about 6 or 7 times too few. I mean, who freekin' cares how many times he stabbed the abductor of his wife and his own potential killer?   I guess you folks would have smacked Polaroid Stalker on the hand and smacked his buns.   Give me a number that would have been appropriate in your eyes. Should he have stabbed him once, twice......3 times?  (Insert your own Lionel Richie joke here)

Guest TheSunKing1972
He did brutally stab someone in a uncontrollable fit of rage. I bet that scared her a little.

umm, no he didn't. He defended himself and his wife.

Guest TheSunKing1972

I witness my spouse brutally, viciously, unbridledly, vengefully, bloodily, and ultra-violently repeatedly stab another human being.  Even if I did want the perp dead, I would still be quite traumatized and constitutionally shaken by witnessing the person I love and trust exacting this violence.  

Well, how else should have Frank handled it?  Tell him he was a bad boy and not to play with knives?  I sure as hell am not gonna stab the man who abducted my wife and tried to kill me one time, then say "Now let that be a lesson to ya." I'm gonna stab & stab until I am satisfied that he is dead.  

If my wife couldn't understand why I did what I did and take it for what it was...then I'd say to hell with her and wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to find her. :yes_big:  :thumbsup_big:  :frank_black:

Well, how else should have Frank handled it?  Tell him he was a bad boy and not to play with knives?  I sure as hell am not gonna stab the man who abducted my wife and tried to kill me one time, then say "Now let that be a lesson to ya." I'm gonna stab & stab until I am satisfied that he is dead.

I hear you.  In fact, I never said that the character of Frank Black - or any person in a similar position - shouldn't have taken the action he did.  I don't think he had any other choice.  I never questioned this, or suggested he should have done otherwise.  I am just saying that it would definitely take some sorting out from the stand point of the spouse, who was a witness to the event.

If my wife couldn't understand why I did what I did and take it for what it was...then I'd say to hell with her and wish I hadn't wasted my time trying to find her

Here's my thing...

If I were in a similar situation, and I was the one that had killed the perp in front of my spouse, I wouldn't be happy about separating, but I would completely understand.  In fact, all of my relationships to other people depend on understanding and acknowledgement of a persons needs in any situation.  Otherwise, my relationships would not be based upon true respect, but would be one sided, 2 dimensional, and unbalanced.

:hands3: Scott

• 7 years later...
Guest WaveCrest

Watched last night the first season finale "Paper Dove" on DVD, followed by the second season premiere (and the second part of the two-part story which began with "Paper Dove") "The Beginning and the End" on DVD. This was the first time I had watched the episode in full. It was indeed refreshing, and I was hooked all the way through. I enjoyed the show's move to filming in widescreen (like with The X Files in the same season (1997-98).

Wow, dragging up old posts are we?

I've watched the two part episodes back to back. I remember when I was watching "Paper Dove" on television and cursing out everyone on Millennium just because I had to wait until the next season. Now with the DVDs I can watch to my hearts content. Take that :oneeyedwinK