W. Virgina Mothman

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hey joe m, great pics!!!! that movie was completely fascinating, do you know anything about the legend,

i heard somewhere that the movie was partially based on real events, i know the movie disclaimer says that but have you heard anything about if there is anything to it?

"Have I run too far to get home?"

Guest SouthernCelt
hey joe m, great pics!!!! that movie was completely fascinating, do you know anything about the legend,

i heard somewhere that the movie was partially based on real events, i know the movie disclaimer says that but have you heard anything about if there is anything to it?

If I can jump into this, and maybe save Joe M some time, the movie was based on a real event as told by an author of mostly paranormal stories and investigations named John Keel. I believe Keel was a tech advisor on the movie in addition to being the author of the original, somewhat in-depth, examination of the events.

Some details which are undisputably true:

• a number of people reported encounters with a large creature with glowing red eyes and wings (all the observers more or less gave the same description);
  • the bridge between W. Virgina and Ohio did indeed collapse and drop a number of cars into the river resulting in a relatively large number of deaths.
  • the mothman sitings did not continue in the area after the bridge accident.

As with many movies, it composited events and people so everything seeming to center around Richard Gere's character. This caused Gere's character to represent both Keel as the investigator of the phenomenon and several of the locals who had one or more encounters with the creature. Read more here: One Mothman link

If you do a Google search on Mothman, you'll get a lot of hits, all of which either purport to discuss and explain the phenomenon or try to keep it alive by trying to show that the creature didn't disapper but simply moved to another location that was fated to suffer a cataclysmic event.

its funny that i dont believe in UFOs. and Aliens but i seem to believe in this paticular story. The movie is based on actual events that led up to the silver bridge collapsing. These sitings hasnt just happen in W.Va, i remember seeing a story some years ago of this happening around the world

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines