Sign in to follow this  
zombieromero

Christmas Shopping

Just wondering if any of you guys and gals have done your Christmas shopping? I did most of mine on the old internet but I've still got some bits and bobs to get. Don't you just love Christmas!?

:Santa_Claus_elf:

no shopping has been done yet but we will go to either Target or Walmart for most of the presents

no shopping has been done yet but we will go to either Target or Walmart for most of the presents
Hey ZR/Joe - good to see you guys on the board...as for this time of year, If there was ever a time when the Devil's leige walked amongst us, it most certainly seems to be between Thanskgiving and Christmas Day, just go to any mall and try to find the latest and greatest, (i.e. XBOX 360)...I AM ALL DONE, both with the kids and with the inlaws. Still have two things to get for wifey, but it should not pose a problem since i work graveyard and thus miss all those busy bodies who frequent the malls after 5pm or on weekends...

i knew i was killing myself for something good... :kickin:

what i find most distubing about this season, is that no matter how many times i have told my boys, 11 and 9, that Xmas is NOT about getting, but giving, it never ceases to amaze me how i can send them to school with this concept fresh in their minds, but somehow, in some grotesque way, while at school amongst their peers, they morph into something i dont recognize when i pick them up. "Dad, can we give some of our toys and books away so that other kids can have something for Xmas" somehow changes into "Dad, David (one of their best friends) is getting an Xbox 360 for Xmas, I want one, can you get it for me at Xmas?".... patiently, i set them straight...but the cycle repeats the next day, and the next, and the next...eventually they have come to grasp the concept of giving more than getting, but the carnage left behind in hammering home that concept has left us all bloody and battered, not literally of course, but metaphorically..

does anyone else here with kids sometimes feel like they are beating their heads against a wall?...

Lets not let this degenerate into "my kids are better than yours". I am curious as to whether the holiday season is the toughest time of the entire year to be a responsible parent..

Fourth Horseman...

I don't want to rub your nose in it Fourth Horseman, but I have my very own Xbox 360 nestled under my tree, lol! I agree with what your saying though, the comcercial aspect of Christmas has no eclipsed the meaning of the holiday and turned it into one massive consumer thing.

Edited by zombieromero

media, media, media, media, media!!!!!! its amazing the number of advertisements on tv during the silly season 4th, i firmly believe the number of commercials and their choice of content are radically changed over to toys, video games and i would love to know what wal-mart spends on advertising between thanksgiving and christmas, i know in my neck of the woods, you can see a wal mart commercial literally every 5 minutes if you change channels often enought, they are everywhere, combine this with a 6-16 year old viewing audience, and a generation of buy now, buy now, buy now, you are not cool unless you have........and i can appreciate a kids desire to have what their buddies have but the pressure to get all those goodies translates to mom and dad going bankrupt trying to make sure their kids arent disappointed with them, i mean, who wants to think that ya know? i think you are very smart for explaining to them that this is a season about giving not receiving, unfourtanetly, it often takes someone of mine or your age with a family and kids to love to realize what the giving is all about, being young is cool in so many ways, but so much life experience and knowledge are yet to come.........

media, media, media, media, media!!!!!! its amazing the number of advertisements on tv during the silly season 4th, i firmly believe the number of commercials and their choice of content are radically changed over to toys, video games and i would love to know what wal-mart spends on advertising between thanksgiving and christmas, i know in my neck of the woods, you can see a wal mart commercial literally every 5 minutes if you change channels often enought, they are everywhere, combine this with a 6-16 year old viewing audience, and a generation of buy now, buy now, buy now, you are not cool unless you have........and i can appreciate a kids desire to have what their buddies have but the pressure to get all those goodies translates to mom and dad going bankrupt trying to make sure their kids arent disappointed with them, i mean, who wants to think that ya know? i think you are very smart for explaining to them that this is a season about giving not receiving, unfourtanetly, it often takes someone of mine or your age with a family and kids to love to realize what the giving is all about, being young is cool in so many ways, but so much life experience and knowledge are yet to come.........
Very well articulated Gunslinger. I was just waxing frustration at only being able to control a very small microcscopic portion of my children's lives. Even as adults, we still fall occasionally to the demons of "if its too good to be true". It not only comes from the advertising demons, but also from their peers at school. For example, how many of us remember getting a buck or two under the pillow from the Tooth fairy when we lost a tooth? Well nowadays, when my kids would lose a tooth, and when they believed in the TF, we would slip a crisp 5 dollar bill under their pillow, accounting for inflation, etc..LOL/// - well, one day my older boy comes home and i notice something is bothering him. When i queried him about the situation he told me that a friend of his at school lost a tooth and found a 100.00 dollar bill under their pillow. Now how do you explain to a 6 year old that he only got 5 dollars while his friend got 100? Anyone here got a good explanation? Dont you think that supposedly being a mature adult, that one would not be so naive as to believe that your kid would not go to school and boast about it? We are still good friends with this family, and yes, they are very well off, but i must tell you, i wanted so much to drive over to their house and kick the living s*** out of the dad.

Its funny just how tunnel visioned kids can be these days. Standing at one end of the rainbow with good things all around them, they only see the other end, where they think the grass is going to be greener. Even we as adults, fall prey to the B.S. every once in a while. The biggest example i have of this is the blatent false advertising used by those who sell the BowFlex Machine. Being an amateur bodybuilder for the last 10 years, i am grossly offended that this company can use gorgeous models and claim that 3 20 minute workouts a week will get you the same results. Yet, i have a couple of friends who drooled all the way to the bank, withdrew money and rubbed their hands in anticipation of the arrival of said equipment. Visiting their homes two months later i saw the piece not in the living room, not in the bedroom, not in the den, not in the backyard by the pool with the gargoyle waterfalls, but sitting in the garage collecting dust. So if adults can fall to such temptations, imagine those very same pressures running thru the mind of a 10 year old, who is still basically driven to act by their primal impulses. Reasoning has not taken hold yet.

And you are also right Gunslinger that it may not be imminent that they learn the discipline of patience and "toeing the long hard road". Where does a parent draw the line between being too hardnosed and full capitulation? Isnt it much easier to "give in" so that you are not inconvienced by the whining and tantrums? Yet that teaches nothing, other than making it worse the next time.

This also falls in line with the issue of punishment. How many of us, particularily the males remember a time, off in the past, when spanking was not only acceptable, but expected. "This is going to hurt me a lot more than its going to hurt you" "Spare the rod, spoil the child" as the saying goes. I vividly remember the one time i was sent to the principle's office in 5th grade having to bend over and grab my ankles as he gave me a swat with a paddle. Today, that would tender that particular principle a jail cell and a criminal record. So, i am left to wonder just what was it that changed our minds about this issue, an evolution of the species? A surrender to the continual technological advancements we have made in the past 30 years? We dont have to entertain (which also incorporates discipline) our kids now, TV, computers, Xbox's, PS2's, Gamecubes, PSP's, etc will do that for us . Zager and Evans "In the Year 2525" is strikingly closer than we think. Remember the line, "some machine doing that for you"...

A child's love is the greatest thing in the world, unemcumbered by guilt, unswayed by prejudice. Discipline at the physical level is a decision each parent must make for themselves. There are varying statistics either way, from the ridiculous to the rational. Does it turn a child into a raving psycho killer as some studies have said? I dont believe so, those whose lives turned in that direction were destined to take that road regardless. My personal beliefs are derived from my childhood, and as i was occasionally/rarely spanked, i found the entire event so distasteful that i swore i would not adhere to such behavior with my kids.

Just like violent video games, or rock lyrics (Judas Priest comes to mind). Some reports have bashed both avenues of entertainment, and yet, there is still no statistical hard evidence that violent video games makes kids violent. Those who already possess violent tendencies are most susceptible, but for the most part, hundreds of thousands, if not millions of kids each and every day play M rated games and go on to lead normal lives. Thats not to say its ok, believe me, my kids are kept at arms length from games like Grand Theft Auto, F.E.A.R. etc, for reasons no other than they just dont need to be seeing certain things, not because i am afraid they will grow up to be the next Dahmer.

In closing, mercifully, LOL, the enigmas of being a parent are understood only by those who have been thru the experience, and you my very dear friend, Gunslinger, with that beautiful son Daniel, have a ways to go down the road before you hit the rain. Enjoy the sunshine that is now.

Oh and a shout out to ZR, no rain here my good friend. I am an avid PC'er and dont do consoles. Of course, the constant "staying current" continues to drain my bank account at an alarming rate. PM me when you have played your 360 and let me know how you like it. Who knows, i might join you on the Microsoft bandwagon someday, LOL...

Fourth Horseman...

Some great posts here guys! We haven't really discussed Christmas here yet this year! :Santa_Claus_elf:

I'm thinking of joining my partner Val (in the female sense of the name in case anyone wondered!) for a trip to Chester tomorrow. I don't normally feel 'Christmasy' until we've been to Chester and partaken of the 8 hours of aching feet - you can't get that on the Internet! I'll take ye olde camera and try to take some piccies because Chester always looks fantastic with its Tudor age buildings and cosy cafes but they make a nice effort at Christmas.

This year we have no real idea what to get for Michael who is now 11. He's not been decisive over presents for the last couple of years. He has over previous Xmas's and Birthdays kitted him out with an X-Box, Gamecube and I built him a PC a few years back. He loves playing video games and usually asks for some new ones. We bought him a few board games like Simpsons Monopoly, Battleship etc but he never wants to play them just his games. We understand because he's only here at weekend and then if I'm not working and as long as he takes regular breaks and lets me near my PC occassionaly I don't mind!

We have extracted the Christmas Tree from the loft storage space and assembled it earlier but we need some new lights. No real one this year as we got fed up with the needles although I don't think they can be beat for the aroma alone of fresh pine.

Then on Saturday I'm off up North for a few days in the Lake District to chill out; my grateful thanks to Erin and Libby once again for becoming premature Old Women!

I wanted to make a Christmas skin for TIWWA this year but just haven't been able to get around to it yet.

I'm working over Christmas again this year but last year was the first Christmas off in nine years, this December the 16th I've been in the same job for ten years.

As I type the television is on in the background and full of Christmas ads encouraging me and millions of others to get into debt and help relieve the poor retail sales of earlier this year. I will watch Midnight of the Century in the coming days but will wait if I can for Christmas Eve. Its such a sad situation that the commerce is all that the media can portray. Still I can look forward to seeing Lance Henriksen again in part two of Supernova on Sky One tommorow. If anyone in the UK missed last week's part one, its being repeated on Sky Two at 8pm tonight.

Happy Christmas everybody! :smiley_snowman:

Graham

Some good issues raised here. BTW Fourth Horseman, I had a quick go of my Xbox 360 just to test it and it was awesome! If you or any other members of TIWWA get one we should organise some Millennium enduced online gaming sessions or something.

Some good issues raised here. BTW Fourth Horseman, I had a quick go of my Xbox 360 just to test it and it was awesome! If you or any other members of TIWWA get one we should organise some Millennium enduced online gaming sessions or something.
I'm telling Santa!!! :nahah: :Santa_Claus_elf: ...i have heard the graphics are cutting edge, fortunately i havent seen them yet or i would be clamoring for one. I tend to sink absurd amounts of money into my pc, but always still seem to run about 6 months behind. Anyway, i am curious ZF, what game did you try out the 360 with?

Fourth Horseman...

WOW!!!! that $100.00 bill from the tooth fairy story is just absurd.........geeezzzzzzz, i can honestly remember when the going rate was .25 cents a tooth and if i was lucky and told my grandfather about losing a tooth, he'd fork over another quarter and i'd be set for the day, you bring up some good points amigo. At some point in the last 20 years, the way we treat, discipline, reward, or react to anything our children do,say or point out has radically changed. i completely understand we have the fastest moving, most stressful, and just overall stranges society in the world, but the extent of political correctness and our peers influencing our children so much leaves many unanswered questions. I do often sometimes believe that our generation, the one after the baby boomers im referring to, is the last to truly grasp where we came from and to understand and comprehend the fact that our families didnt always have enought to get us everything we wanted, yes for the most part we had everything we needed to survive, but in all honesty i never found myself being pissed off at my friends for what they had. Most likely because we were all blue collar kids, 2 parents working, small town kids. I can remember when i graduated high school, my dad walking up to me and shaking my hand, hugging me and saying "I'm so proud of you", geeezzzzzzz, i could have died a happy teenager at that point. Less than 8 years later when my sister graduated, she was pissed off because mom and dad didnt get her the Firebird she wanted?????????? what the hell? Did I miss something along the way?? i would died of shame even asking my parents for a car and i graduated valedictorian of my class, my sister was lucky she even graduated at all.......not that this is such a big deal, but just to make a point, ive always remembered that as being one of the first times i questioned what the hell was wrong with kids younger than me, and i was about 24 years old when she graduated.........or maybe 4th, maybe, and here is a really scary thought, maybe we've become the adults we use to look up to, the ones who paid the bills, drove us to games, encouraged us to do better, play harder, go further. My question is when did it happen, because i honestly dont remember it, one minute im headed into my sophmore year of high school, football, girls, cruising, about as far as my narrow field of vision would allow, but in the next moment......im 33 years old, married for 10 years, mortgage, 2 vehicles, and a 1 and a half year old son i cant get enough of, and all of these concerns and worries..........i wonder where the change over was......ill probably never know, and that is i suppose for the best.....this is who we are.......take care amigo.