Sign in to follow this  
Viivi

A Great Book On The Fermi Paradox

Has anyone read this book called If the Universe Is Teeming with Aliens... Where Is Everybody?

by Stephen Webb? It was published three years ago already, but I hadn't heard of it until now.

The book deals with the so-called Fermi paradox: "The commonly held belief that the universe has many technologically advanced civilizations, combined with our observations that suggest otherwise, is paradoxical, suggesting that either our understanding or our observations are flawed or incomplete."

The quote is from this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

I'm only half-way through Webb's book but I would already say it's extremely interesting with its 50 different answers to the question in the booktitle. (Some of them are also mentioned in that Wikipedia article, btw.) I'd love to hear your opinion on the book or its subject. :alien2:

Sorry no I haven't - don't get much time these days :(

Never heard of this untill now. Seems rather interesting. Might check it out.

I haven't read the book, but like the subject. One explanation is that the conditions for life on planets is very exact and although there are "billions and billions" of planets too few are in the right places.

Additionally, the distances between star systems is so vast. I've read that it would take about 50, 000 years to reach the nearest star system with our rocket ships.