Flagship Episode

Rate this topic

Guest Ashitaka

Ugggg! :doh:

Indeed, how contradictory, cause Battlestar Galactica's website is on SCIFI.COM!!!!!

Give me his butt and i'll kick it.

Edited by 1428

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

Showing someone 'Lamentation' as their first episode is just wrong on so many levels. If they get into the series then you've ruined the great Season One bombshell! Don't do that to them.

The 3 Seasons are very different so picking an episode will as people have pointed out be dependant on them. For instance, I have broken a few people in by showing the comedy episodes. I think 'Pilot' is of a generally high enough quality that most people who might be interested in Millennium will engage with it without much need for prompting also.

If in doubt, go with a standalone. 'Wide Open', 'Covenant', 'The Mikado' - that sort of thing.

Alternatively, force them to watch 'Powers, Principalities, Thrones + Dominions', 'Beware of the Dog', 'The Time is Now' and 'Borrowed Time' back to back. Give them 1 hour to come up with a written thesis on the treatment of Law and Chaos, Good and Evil and the use of angelic/demonic imagery and its greater context in terms of universal angst and existentialism.

Or not. :D

Showing someone 'Lamentation' as their first episode is just wrong on so many levels. If they get into the series then you've ruined the great Season One bombshell! Don't do that to them.

The 3 Seasons are very different so picking an episode will as people have pointed out be dependant on them. For instance, I have broken a few people in by showing the comedy episodes. I think 'Pilot' is of a generally high enough quality that most people who might be interested in Millennium will engage with it without much need for prompting also.

If in doubt, go with a standalone. 'Wide Open', 'Covenant', 'The Mikado' - that sort of thing.

Alternatively, force them to watch 'Powers, Principalities, Thrones + Dominions', 'Beware of the Dog', 'The Time is Now' and 'Borrowed Time' back to back. Give them 1 hour to come up with a written thesis on the treatment of Law and Chaos, Good and Evil and the use of angelic/demonic imagery and its greater context in terms of universal angst and existentialism.

Or not. :D

Woa.... I like your style! We should have YOU writing for something MM-fan related!

As you said, though, different strokes for different folks. I started Terry (my fiance) out with the Pilot, #1Because he requested it, saying he liked to begin at the beginning. and #2Because I knew he would "get it", and be impressed by the overall quality of writing and acting, setting up for future events, etc. It's just so well-rounded. Then, there's my mom, who doesn't handle violence on tv very well. (she often wonders why and how I fell so far from the tree...lol) So, I started her out with Omereta. That one appealed to her, so then I went to "A Single Blade of Grass" to show that they weren't ALL like that. Then, she got interested in Beware of the Dog, because I've talked about it so much, and now she's almost...ALMOST hooked. Which is saying a LOT, since she does NOT do well with violence on tv or in movies.

Guest ModernDayMoriarty

'Beware of the Dog' is a good choice for a newcomer as it has humour but slowly draws you in to what is quite a complicated setup (having The Carpenters at the start probably helps with parents too!). It's a very underrated episode and I think part of that comes from the fact it is the first episode that demonstartes how very different Season 2 is going to be to Season 1. A lot of people turn off right there. Newcomers don't have that S1 bias and will be more apt to view the episode on its merits. Take 'Broken World' for example. Okay, it's not the greatest episode ever but it is in no way a bad episode. Its placement after 'Lamentation' and 'Powers...' and before 'Maranatha' just makes no sense at all. If this episode was say, between 'Dead Letters' and 'The Judge' or that and '522666' for example, it would probably be regarded as the 'watchable but not amazingly amazing' episode that it is.

I think it's probably also wise to show 'A single blade of grass' early on. I believe I remember that you quite liked this but I feel you may be in the minority amongst diehard MLM fans! For my money, it's a bit poor but I really love the opening. When Floyd Westermann intones 'Do not tell the white man of this: Jesus is upon the earth...' as sparks shower down - magical.

• 4 years later...

As ZeusFaber put it, it depends on your target audience.

My daughter, who has me negatively stereotyped as a sci-fi fan, likes CSI Miami and N.C.I.S. She also likes "Burn Notice." She just rolls her eyes when I tell her that Burn Notice has so much in common with two of my other favorite shows, that Burn Notice practically copied from them (Nowhere Man and The Prisoner).

She has no idea how much she could like Millennium as a result! When the moment strikes, I will have the Pilot and 522666 ready...

I recently loaded up an mp3 player for my wife and put "Covenant " and "Luminary" on it. At worst, it will give me something good to watch if I leave my mp3 player at home and only have hers!

:rock2: